Custom rear bumper build

Watch the wrap on the bottom. You can wrap where it bolts through to the frame, but you have to leave it open where the cross member is. That is where the fuel tank skid bolts down.

Also...I didn't hear anything from you after I sent that CAD file... Did it work out for you?
Good tip! I have already designed openings for the fuel tank skid bolts. Something like this:
1621524828650.png

I didn't leave it open, since I think it will be stronger this way.

You are right! I should have mentioned your Autocad file above! It was helpful. I removed my bumper to measure myself as well, but it was helpful to have some other measurements to compare as well. Thanks again! :)

Reactions: JMT and Mike_H
Good tip! I have already designed openings for the fuel tank skid bolts. Something like this: View attachment 253679

I didn't leave it open, since I think it will be stronger this way.

You are right! I should have mentioned your Autocad file above! It was helpful. I removed my bumper to measure myself as well, but it was helpful to have some other measurements to compare as well. Thanks again! :)
So...you have to pull the bumper to get the fuel tank skid off?

So...you have to pull the bumper to get the fuel tank skid off?
Most likely yes. I am not 100% positive on that. I will come back when it's finished.

It is not something worrying me though, since I don't find myself often needing to remove the fuel tank skid.

Most likely yes. I am not 100% positive on that. I will come back when it's finished.

It is not something worrying me though, since I don't find myself often needing to remove the fuel tank skid.
Until you do... Then you'll wonder why in the heck you did it. I've had my tank down 5 or 6 times. I thought about doing it like you did, but future tank removal kept me from doing so.

The other thing to mention is that if you have any bolts thru the cross member, between the frame rails, you have to drop the tank to get to the nuts, unless you make other provisions (flag nuts, welded on nuts, etc.).

Thats almost identical to my final design. Plus the hitch receiver in the middle instead of the logo! haha

I will gain a lot of clearance vs stock rear bumper for sure. I might measure the departure angle out of curiosity.
Yeah, I need to get the hitch in mine still - with the LJ it will be close to flush for me!

Reactions: TJim
Until you do... Then you'll wonder why in the heck you did it. I've had my tank down 5 or 6 times. I thought about doing it like you did, but future tank removal kept me from doing so.

The other thing to mention is that if you have any bolts thru the cross member, between the frame rails, you have to drop the tank to get to the nuts, unless you make other provisions (flag nuts, welded on nuts, etc.).
I am thinking to build some custom flag nuts.

I am thinking to build some custom flag nuts.

Initially, I made flag nuts for mine. They weren't easy to work with. Then when I raised the rear frame, I needed to tack weld the nuts to the back of the crossmember.

Reactions: JMT and TJim
I was quite busy for a few months, so I was pretty much inactive from the forum. I have done some progress.

Those are the photos of the finished DIY rear bumper.

IMG_9007.jpg
IMG_9008.jpg
IMG_9009.jpg
IMG_9010.jpg

I haven't managed to paint it and install it yet. I will post the final photos when it is finished.

LET ME KNOW what you think of it so far :) !!

IMG_9007.jpg

IMG_9008.jpg

IMG_9009.jpg

I was quite busy for a few months, so I was pretty much inactive from the forum. I have done some progress.

Those are the photos of the finished DIY rear bumper.

View attachment 281538View attachment 281539View attachment 281540View attachment 281541

I haven't managed to paint it and install it yet. I will post the final photos when it is finished.

LET ME KNOW what you think of it so far :) !!

View attachment 281538

View attachment 281539

View attachment 281540
I love it, great job!

Last edited:
Reactions: TJim
Looks nice. I spy a JK Mount in the background. I'm doing similar but mostly with off the shelf items.

So today I paint it, using a gun spray. I am not experienced so the result is no near perfect, but I could not wait anymore so I just did it.

First, I prepped it (clean, sand) accordingly.
Then, I applied an epoxy primer.
At the end, I applied a matte black paint.

I wanted to do it on my own, it was my first time using a spray gun. I couldn't wait to do any tests, or anything. If I don't like it in the future, I might just sand it and paint it again.

PHOTOS

BARE METAL

IMG_9881.jpg
IMG_9882.jpg

PRIMER:

IMG_9883.jpg
IMG_9884.jpg

BLACK PAINT:

IMG_9885.jpg
IMG_9886.jpg
IMG_9887.jpg

Today, I installed the final product (at least for now). I might paint it again some day, but for now I am satisfied. I just wanted to install it and use it, since I had some time this week.

The end result seems to be a bit more glossy than I would like, even though I used some (allegedly) matte black paint.

Photos of the bumper painted and installed:

IMG_9896.jpg

IMG_9901.jpg
IMG_9899.jpg
IMG_9906.jpg

times two on the recovery tab going thru thru frame. They can be a little narrower too if you pass thru. I do like the shape though a little style and lots of weld surface.

I have not tackled my rear bumper yet, so I surface mounted with a wide weld area like yours. My front was a full build with narrow thru mounts.

View attachment 253641

View attachment 253642

View attachment 253643

View attachment 253644
This post and post #11 bear repeating, don't surface-mount recovery tabs!