Cutting out, and random stalls

jeepinmecrazy

Hey guys,
I've got an '06 TJ with 4.0, and 6 speed.
It's done this odd thing where it cuts out under acceleration since I've had it. It would flash the CEL but never store a code. If I backed out of the throttle, it would continue to run, but if I kept on it, it would die. Over the two years I've had the jeep, I've replaced many parts trying to track down the culprit. Here's the List:
Crown OPDA
Cheap Camshaft Position Sensor
Mopar Camshaft Position Sensor
Cheap Crankshaft Position Sensor
Mopar Crankshaft Position Sensor
Cheap Coil Rail
Mopar Coil Rail
Replaced the plug that goes to the coil
Sparkplugs
ASD Relay
IAC
Battery Terminals

Through this time, the problem has gotten worse, but not after replacing any one part.
The jeep will start if cold soaked, and run great for 15-20 Mins, and then die. No stutter, no prior RPM drop, just out of the blue, Stall. Still has no codes, or freeze frame data. When trying to restart engine, it will crank as normal, and fire what sounds like maybe one CYL randomly, but not start.

Any help is greatly appreciated! I'm about at my wits end.

ImaPepper, I haven’t tried a heat gun, or freeze spray. I do know that it has to sit for about five hours before it will start again.

KCsTJ, yes, I have a decent Matco scanner.

Reactions: KCsTJ
This morning when I went to start it, the fuel pump was making some odd sounds, but it did fire up. After running a few seconds, the CEL came on with a P0340 code.

A P0340 is a "Camshaft position sensor 'A' circuit malfunction, bank 1".
I don't entirely understand this code.

Since the jeep dealer worked on the cam sensor last, would their work still be covered under their warranty if you took it back?

I'm going through similar - doesn't log fault codes.

New 02 sensors, new cats, new fuel pump cleaned up all of the earthing points, cleaned up the ECU mounting points.

Since doing this it runs for weeks as strong as. Then will stall out for a short period (maybe a mile or two) and never do it again for weeks.

I have new sensors ready to go on the throttle body and new plugs but starting to think its a faulty ECU issue. However, if it's running for weeks at a time over many hundred miles is it?

I'm going through similar - doesn't log fault codes.

New 02 sensors, new cats, new fuel pump cleaned up all of the earthing points, cleaned up the ECU mounting points.

Since doing this it runs for weeks as strong as. Then will stall out for a short period (maybe a mile or two) and never do it again for weeks.

I have new sensors ready to go on the throttle body and new plugs but starting to think its a faulty ECU issue. However, if it's running for weeks at a time over many hundred miles is it?
Because it does it so randomly and not often it will be hard to narrow down. The one thing i would suggest is if you have a wireless obd2 scaner set it up to log all data. Then when it stalls you can go look at what happened. This is a BIG MAYBE. You might be able to see a sensor fail before the stall. Again it is a long shot due to the limited amount of data the cheep scanners provide.

Reactions: KCsTJ
I decided to drive my Jeep today until it would either throw a code or start spitting and sputtering. Well it stalled out at a gas station. The low fuel light came on but I know it has a 1/2 tank in it. I decided since I was at the gas station to fill it up. Well it won’t start back up. My fuel pump doesn’t turn on and all my gauges aren’t showing readings. My battery is reading 9v and nothing else is registering on the gauges. I tried pulling the relay and replacing with my horn relay. Fuel pump fuse is fine. I’m thinking it’s my PCM.

Because it does it so randomly and not often it will be hard to narrow down. The one thing i would suggest is if you have a wireless obd2 scaner set it up to log all data. Then when it stalls you can go look at what happened. This is a BIG MAYBE. You might be able to see a sensor fail before the stall. Again it is a long shot due to the limited amount of data the cheep scanners provide.

Have been doing that for ages. Nothing. Rather frustrating to say the least.

Same thing happening to my 2006 LJ. It went to the shop yesterday morning. They finally were able to get it to "stall". Hope they find a solution. They said it wasn't throwing any codes.

I'm having the same problem with my 05 LJ. Replaced the Crankshaft position sensor, but still doing it. Hope to find some answers soon. No codes being thrown.

Seems like someone would have had more input on this issue by now...

It's a weird one.

Any luck on this thread. I have an 05 Rubicon 6 speed giving me the same problem. Changed the TPS and it’s still acting up. If I have it in neutral and rev up it won’t cut out it’s only while driving under load. No codes but I do have 4 emissions coming up “not ready”

Any luck? same problem.. replaced: spark plugs, spark plugs wires, distributor rotor, distributor cap, distributor coil...

Try checking for a short. I had a GTO that would stall randomly without power to any of the gauges. I used a test light to find it.

Since I posted on March 29th. I’ve done new plugs, a new magnaflow exhaust with all new cats and 4 new O2 sensors. It’s not stalling out anymore. I had no code issues and then I started getting an O2 check engine light while in traffic. I found my front two cats were completely blown out basically straight pipes. Everything seems to running smooth now. I also added a spring to my throttle cable and that gave me much more feel for the pedal.