Daily Driver, Go Where I Want To Build

Balanced OK first try?

Haven't gone above 35mph. I'll know more in the morning.

I discussed balancing with the manager. He's aware that these can be finicky and said to bring them back until they are right.

Something else I had them do was install short valve stems.
20200929_185049.jpg

Reactions: DrDmoney and Alex01
I know the MTR's aren't directional but having the driver's side one way and the passenger side the other would irk me ;) Maybe it is just the picture.

They aren't directional but that drivers side front is not correct. They are supposed to be mounted like the passenger side.

Edit: that picture was deceiving... They are correct.

Last edited:
I'm at 37k on my MTRs. I think they 'll get me thru winter at which point Ill need a new set. Im guessing 45-50k when that happens. Mine seem to ride best at 24 psi.

Reactions: Alex01 and jjvw
I'll be interested to hear your review of the MTR's come this winter. My treps are garbage and need to get off the Jeep. While I'm partial towards the KM series BFG's, I might lean towards some MTR's if they are alright on the road and in the snow. I rarely drive in the snow but I need tires that can do so. During my trip to Wyoming in March 2019 I was being passed by semi's on a two lane road because my Treps couldn't get any traction. If you have some good experiences in the snow I'd probably swap some MTR's on come this spring.

Reactions: jjvw
I'll be interested to hear your review of the MTR's come this winter. My treps are garbage and need to get off the Jeep. While I'm partial towards the KM series BFG's, I might lean towards some MTR's if they are alright on the road and in the snow. I rarely drive in the snow but I need tires that can do so. During my trip to Wyoming in March 2019 I was being passed by semi's on a two lane road because my Treps couldn't get any traction. If you have some good experiences in the snow I'd probably swap some MTR's on come this spring.
You'll read about it. I have expectations of the good and bad because @tworley has been daily driving his for the last few years in the same environments.

Reactions: jodomcfrodo
You'll read about it. I have expectations of the good and bad because @tworley has been daily driving his for the last few years in the same environments.

I have a feeling the MTR's will be my next tire (maybe even in a 33 rather than a 35!). I grew up driving in the snow. Driving from Jackson, Wyoming to Rock Springs during a light snow on my trepadors had my knuckles whiter than they've ever been before. I could not believe the lack of traction that the treps gave me. l got duped into buying these things due to positive reviews. Maybe just like people who have PS rock sliders ;)

• Sad
Reactions: hosejockey61
I have a feeling the MTR's will be my next tire (maybe even in a 33 rather than a 35!). I grew up driving in the snow. Driving from Jackson, Wyoming to Rock Springs during a light snow on my trepadors had my knuckles whiter than they've ever been before. I could not believe the lack of traction that the treps gave me. l got duped into buying these things due to positive reviews. Maybe just like people who have PS rock sliders ;)
Or Patagonia's!

Two 30 minute trips on the highway today. The Jeep is back to one handed driving at 75mph. So far, the MTRs are quieter and smoother than the Patagonias ever were (even after I cut them up!).

And I think this part is also true. I had said that the load range c Patagonias were no different in ride than the load range e Cooper STMaxx before those. I am running the MTRs at a slightly higher pressure than the Patagonias. Yet, I feel like the MTRs are noticably more comfortable. I am feeling less of the small events on the road than before.

I also commented that the Patagonias were a squeally tire when making turns and harder braking events. It didn't take much to lock them up. All of that is gone with the MTRs.

Last edited:
Reactions: strumble8
Enough time has passed that I think this is safe to talk about.

Since the rear MCE flares went on this spring, they have fallen off multiple times. Several times on the trail when I rub against a tree or a rock, as designed and a reason why I wanted them. However, the rear driver's side has blown off three times on the highway. Once I found it, twice it was gone forever. MCE sent me a replacement both times. That's great, but I really don't like driving around with a missing flare.

This time I made a small change to the top two mounting posts.
20201001_174220.jpg

Using the extra replacement MCE hardware, I added an extra washer to the top of the post.
20201001_173517.jpg

This means the flare and it's rubber grommet will need to pull past the washer in order to fully detach. The lower section can still break free like the fronts do. But a much stronger pull is needed to remove the flare. I've been driving with these extra washers for about 2 weeks with no signs of the flare wanting to fly away.

Enough time has passed that I think this is safe to talk about.

Since the rear MCE flares went on this spring, they have fallen off multiple times. Several times on the trail when I rub against a tree or a rock, as designed and a reason why I wanted them. However, the rear driver's side has blown off three times on the highway. Once I found it, twice it was gone forever. MCE sent me a replacement both times. That's great, but I really don't like driving around with a missing flare.

This time I made a small change to the top two mounting posts.
View attachment 193681

Using the extra replacement MCE hardware, I added an extra washer to the top of the post.
View attachment 193680

This means the flare and it's rubber grommet will need to pull past the washer in order to fully detach. The lower section can still break free like the fronts do. But a much stronger pull is needed to remove the flare. I've been driving with these extra washers for about 2 weeks with no signs of the flare wanting to fly away.
Lucky the flare didn’t hit someone. Never considered that happening.