Daily Driver, Go Where I Want To Build

The difference between a 186k mile steering gear and a 15k mile steering gear is far more than I expected it to be. I knew there was a small dead spot, but I didn't expect it to have the negative effects it created compared to a tight box. I haven't made it above 40mph yet, but immediately I can tell the the Jeep doesn't follow the ruts in the road nearly as forcefully as it has been. Really, hardly at all. The other, more unexpected, observation was while driving through a very uneven, undulating alleyway. I was far more aware of the road and it's ups and downs. Everything feels more precise, where I am no longer making the same continual small steering adjustments. Hard fast cornering feels much better and even more fun!

My drive out to Moab tomorrow should be all the better. Thanks to Blaine for pulling this out of his parts pile!

Last edited:
The difference between a 186k mile steering gear and a 15k mile steering gear is far more than I expected it to be. I knew there was a small dead spot, but I didn't expect it to have the negative effects it created compared to a tight box. I haven't made it above 40mph yet, but immediately I can tell the the Jeep doesn't follow the ruts in the road nearly as forcefully as it has been. Really, hardly at all. The other, more unexpected, observation was while driving through a very uneven, undulating alleyway. I was far more aware of the road and it's ups and downs. Everything feels more precise, where I am no longer making the same continual small steering adjustments. Hard fast cornering feels much better and even more fun!

My drive out to Moab tomorrow should be all the better. Thanks to Blaine for pulling this out of his parts pile!
I replaced mine about 6 months ago and it made a tremendous difference going from 146k miles to 60k miles. The on center feel is so much better.

Reactions: starkey480 and jjvw
That looks like it could almost be out of the way of where the springs would be.
Should be but easy enough to redrill the arm to move the link forward some if not.

Some folks run the risk of sucking a rock up by the tire and cycling it through the bits there. I've got some black acetal on the way to make a guide that will bolt to the side of the frame just inside the end of the arm. It won't touch under normal conditions but if a rock forces the arm inward to where the link would get under the frame and mess stuff up when the axle moves back up, it will prevent that.

Reactions: jjvw

A tight box makes all the difference in the world, JJ…

No I didn't I forgot about it while I was swapping tanks :( this new tank at least doesn't spit it back up all over the fender so maybe the PO did it?
Don't do the silly GM trick. It doesn't solve the actual problem. Find the new fix where you sand down the check valve float inside the filler tube.

Did you do that silly GM fuel filler fix?
I installed the silly GM filler since the original filler was in rough shape when dropping the tank to replace my rear bumper.

I didn't know the proper fix until just now, so I'll do the proper fix next time the tank gets dropped. For now, the GM filler works without any issues and solved the back splash annoyance.

Reactions: rasband
From early this morning.

20220423_070416.jpg

20220423_070429.jpg