Daily Driver, Go Where I Want To Build

I'll need to find the time to sit and stare at the front end soon. What I do know is that the rear frame lift is going to get done long before I chop up the front. New tires will also happen before the front gets serious consideration.

fronts a good chunk of work, but i see where your tryin to go.

i'm kinda diggin the back 1/2 kit. my cross member has the orange cancer, so it's gotta be handled
but that rear end mod you show is a slick deal, not much altered at the ass, just a lift and tuck. and the patchwork blends.

Reactions: Daryl and jjvw
fronts a good chunk of work, but i see where your tryin to go.

i'm kinda diggin the back 1/2 kit. my cross member has the orange cancer, so it's gotta be handled
but that rear end mod you show is a slick deal, not much altered at the ass, just a lift and tuck. and the patchwork blends.

At this point, I don't see why the front can't be done like the rear with the wedge cuts.

true. if your gonna V the lead in cut as they did and patch the top back. it could be done to blend.
you could always play with the length of the top patch to get a nice looking transition into the hump.

but hey now your soundin like me . 10 diff irons in the fire.
pick 1 and finish it, that's what i have to keep tellin myself.

Reactions: jjvw
Last week was a good test of my recessed hitch. Ten or so loads moving some junk around with my little 4x6 trailer and everything felt tight and secure.
20191214_111618.jpg

Does your job reimburse you double the mileage now since your pulling your own trailer?

Last week was a good test of my recessed hitch.
jjvw, Curious do you recall the weight your recessed hitch bumper? I‘m looking to shed weight off the rear, but need the ability to pull a small trailer at times.

jjvw, Curious do you recall the weight your recessed hitch bumper? I‘m looking to shed weight off the rear, but need the ability to pull a small trailer at times.

I think I mention it earlier here around July 4th. Maybe 25lbs plus a few pounds for the receiver.

I'll need to find the time to sit and stare at the front end soon. What I do know is that the rear frame lift is going to get done long before I chop up the front. New tires will also happen before the front gets serious consideration.
Once you put the 35's on, tinker with the axle to get it moved as far forward as it can, the impetus to hack up the front will dramatically slow down.

I will tell you again that the amount of work and custom crap you wind up needing are just not worth it. Figure out what a custom radiator and fan shroud costs and go from there.

I will tell you again that the amount of work and custom crap you wind up needing are just not worth it. Figure out what a custom radiator and fan shroud costs and go from there.

This is definitely a back burner project, if it even happens. Tires will absolutely happen first and pushing the axle as far forward as I can right now is pretty easy.

The little bit I've looked at it, I haven't seen how the radiator and shroud would be affected by how I see to do this. The front of the frame would just be returned to the stock position relative to the body after the grill support extensions and front body lift puck go away. In the example you mentioned a while back, it sounded like he went above and beyond the body lift.

Thank you, I found it back on page 58 and went to New Venture‘s website and it’s currently listed at 29lbs.

It's no heavier than that. I recall my luggage scale saying it was a few pounds less.

Somewhere in these first three months, after already having been thoroughly convinced that K&N is garbage and that most CAIs don't pull in cold air, I put in a real cold air intake that uses a paper filter. I built myself a Windstar cowl intake. This lowers intake temps from a pretty constant 190*F to between 5-60* above ambient air temperature, depending on ground speed and wind direction.

View attachment 34108

The hole into the cowl.
View attachment 34109 View attachment 34111

The horn of the air box inside the cowl.
View attachment 34107

Later on I wrapped the canister and tube in header tape. This reduced intake temps by 5*F.
View attachment 34112

Three years later, I will confidently tell you that there are little to no performance gains here. I have seen intake temps as low as 0*F and I still can't make the long steep highway climb up to the Eisenhower Tunnels any faster than stock. Eventually, I will make good use out of the extra room that removing the factory air box provides.

While we are on the topic, I also put in Bosch 4 port injectors. The only change I noticed was the smoother idle that many others have reported. Mrblaine once suggested that the smoother idle is really the result of having replaced worn o-rings which fixed a vacuum leak on one or more cylinders.

Love the wrap and idea of the cowl venting/intake. Perhaps isolating the cowl area with insulating / reflective material will keep temps in the "box" cooler than the engine back/top of hood area to make a difference? I may actually go that route once I tackle the forgotten maintenance on the Jeep before I owned it.

Love the wrap and idea of the cowl venting/intake. Perhaps isolating the cowl area with insulating / reflective material will keep temps in the "box" cooler than the engine back/top of hood area to make a difference? I may actually go that route once I tackle the forgotten maintenance on the Jeep before I owned it.

Don't expect much. As it sits today, the intake temps are about 5-50 deg above ambient depending on driving speed and wind direction. I can't tell if there is any difference from stock. IMO the only reason for the Windstar is to make room in the engine bay for other things.

Reactions: rasband
Don't expect much. As it sits today, the intake temps are about 5-50 deg above ambient depending on driving speed and wind direction. I can't tell if there is any difference from stock. IMO the only reason for the Windstar is to make room in the engine bay for other things.
For sure. Still, anything is better and freeing up some space in the engine bay is not a bad idea

For sure. Still, anything is better and freeing up some space in the engine bay is not a bad idea

The stock intake and filter box with a paper filter is quite good and does what it needs to do very well. I would not encourage anyone to change it unless there were extenuating circumstances.

The stock intake and filter box with a paper filter is quite good and does what it needs to do very well. I would not encourage anyone to change it unless there were extenuating circumstances.
For sure. I'm just not crazy about the sucking up hot air, specially in the hot summer. This mod however is not a top priority for me, but man I love seeing things like this as well as loving the idea of freeing space up in the engine bay