Designed to rot

Crusty

I have no idea what was on Chrysler's mind when they designed the Jeep frame not to have a drain hole in it it seems like it was premeditated design to make the Jeep frame rot so you would have to buy parts I think everybody on this form should start a class action lawsuit against the manufacturer

Ever since AMC got involved with Jeeps, they have become rust buckets, And there's no excuse for it
the companys should learn from the design flaws and take action and redesign the problem areas.

There was definitely some poor design choices made with the frame in terms of drainage for the frame. Makes me wonder if they even attempted to fix it with the JK or JL.

There was definitely some poor design choices made with the frame in terms of drainage for the frame. Makes me wonder if they even attempted to fix it with the JK or JL.
Yup, they made it aluminum! I am curious to see how that works out

I have no idea what was on Chrysler's mind when they designed the Jeep frame not to have a drain hole in it it seems like it was premeditated design to make the Jeep frame rot so you would have to buy parts I think everybody on this form should start a class action lawsuit against the manufacturer

Lmaoo no.

If the factory had designed drain holes, the rust situation would be much better. I've heard other stories about Chrysler using subpar Chinese steel, which exacerbated the issue, but I don't know if that is true or not. Plenty of cars make it 20 years in the rust belt without rotting out, but that's the way it is. I'm sure there were some forward-thinking Jeepers in the rust belt in 1998 who understood the problem and drilled their own drain holes, but that certainly wasn't me :D

they definitely improved the JK frames, I've got a 2007 that's lived its entire life on the cape on the beach in the salt, daily driven through the winter on NE salted roads, it has 190k on it and the frame is rusty but no rot wholes or anything if it were a TJ it would have died long ago. My 99 I keep off the cape in total the salty roads in the winter and the salty air down there is ruthless

they definitely improved the JK frames, I've got a 2007 that's lived its entire life on the cape on the beach in the salt, daily driven through the winter on NE salted roads, it has 190k on it and the frame is rusty but no rot wholes or anything if it were a TJ it would have died long ago. My 99 I keep off the cape in total the salty roads in the winter and the salty air down there is ruthless

I know your pain. My TJ spends a lot of time in Montauk, where you smell the salt in the wind.

File a lawsuit for a vehicle that is 13 to 22 years old?

A lawsuit against the government (local, state, and/or federal), for destroying an unlimited number of various vehicles in the rust belt with salt for at least the 52 years I've been alive would be great. Some of them only lasted a couple of years.

Reactions: Chris
The frame is not aluminum, there is no full frame vehicle out with an aluminum frame. There are several unibody vehicles that have aluminum structures. The Jl frame is hydro formed 580 MPa mild steel.

Just to squeeze in on a technicality. Aircraft are vehicles and do have aluminum frames/structure.

But for a motor vehicle i can only think of i believe ford started useing aluminum frame in the f150 in 2015ish.

The frame is not aluminum, there is no full frame vehicle out with an aluminum frame. There are several unibody vehicles that have aluminum structures. The Jl frame is hydro formed 580 MPa mild steel.
yup, see post #13