Diesel Daddy's dream TJ

Maybe,but if you can an honest 250hp(and close to double that in torque!) out of the om617 my money would be on it for the fun factor

Yeah I’ll always be a diesel guy. However it might take a little longer the build this engine if the turbo kit is really fun. Ha!

• USA Proud
Reactions: Rickyd
And so it begins.

IMG_3471.jpeg

IMG_3470.jpeg

I actually have a little work to do to get it in. Even though it came out of a 4.0 wrangler, that jeep didn’t have ac and mine does. So the bracket and a couple other small things need to change. I really want to add an intercooler. Not just for this setup but for the future diesel. I may get crafty with that first and see what happens.

This should be cool. Thanks for bringing us along - I’m looking forward to following.

Well. I started on the turbo install. The kit I got was from a truck thst didn’t have AC and it went in slicker than snot. Well, I’d like to keep my ac so I’m having to do some engineering. Looks like this placement for the turbo will work. I just need to clock it slightly to level out the charge outlet and rework the hot pipe. If it looks tight on the back of the alternator, it is. The wastegate is also jammed in there sort of tight. Looks like the charge pipe to the intake will work out and the down pipe for the exhaust might be ok there.

IMG_3482.jpeg

IMG_3483.jpeg

IMG_3484.jpeg

IMG_3485.jpeg

Reactions: NashvilleTJ
I think the solution is going to be a boostwerks exhaust manifold. I’m going to get one on the way so I can move everything over to the drivers side of the engine. Away from the ac altogether. I really like how it cleans up the installed turbo under the hood.

Wife picked up the MRAP seats today for me. These are so killer. Heavy but super nice. Five point restraints and armor built into the seats. For those who don’t know, the center section of these is removeable. Now you can pull it out to be more comfortable with a day pack on your back or you can remove the pad inside and either hollow it out to add survival gear or an extra pew pew just in case. I’m glad to see that both of these are intact. I opted for a pair of used adjustable seats. These will be going in this week. Also before someone asks, they are wider and slightly taller than the standard TJ seat so it’s tight but they are fat boy friendly and you feel like your whole butt can sit on these comfortable. Memory foam. Enough said.

IMG_3486.jpeg

IMG_3487.jpeg

IMG_3488.jpeg

• USA Proud
Reactions: FarFire70
Wife picked up the MRAP seats today for me. These are so killer. Heavy but super nice. Five point restraints and armor built into the seats. For those who don’t know, the center section of these is removeable. Now you can pull it out to be more comfortable with a day pack on your back or you can remove the pad inside and either hollow it out to add survival gear or an extra pew pew just in case. I’m glad to see that both of these are intact. I opted for a pair of used adjustable seats. These will be going in this week. Also before someone asks, they are wider and slightly taller than the standard TJ seat so it’s tight but they are fat boy friendly and you feel like your whole butt can sit on these comfortable. Memory foam. Enough said.

View attachment 458405

View attachment 458406

View attachment 458407

Where do you pick those up? They look pretty nice.

So while I’m waiting for parts, I pulled the front seats to take a look at the brackets for swapping in the MRAP seats. Looks fairly straight forward. New seats have a flat plate on the bottom, tj seats have a flat mounting surface on the rails. Looks like I’ll have to cold chisel a few rivers but other than that looks easy.

Well I had a chance to get the MRAP seats installed in the TJ. What a difference. Bolted directly to the original jeep sliders and mount it sits maybe 3” higher than the stock seat. Which is great for me. Very comfortable although very firm suspension seats. My daughter hopped right in there, so they have to be good.

IMG_3503.jpeg