Diesel Daddy's dream TJ

Probably going to need larger wheels than 15's for the brake size needed on those axles.

I was just making the point that since he builds custom rims you could get them in any size. He made 20" rims for some of the trucks we had in Iraq and they were IED tested... The tires didn't survive but the rims did.

15" or 16" or 16.5" or 17" or 18" or 20" do I need to go on? And width & diameter.

http://www.stazworks.com/

I was just making the point that since he builds custom rims you could get them in any size. He made 20" rims for some of the trucks we had in Iraq and they were IED tested... The tires didn't survive but the rims did.

15" or 16" or 16.5" or 17" or 18" or 20" do I need to go on? And width & diameter.

How cost effective is that to a Trailready which provides many options to meet the specs?

A reliable 250hp om617? I didn't know that was possible....what parts list?

An om606 though,that would be easy.

96 to 230 hp is considered their nominal range. 250 is really just a timing adjustment away from 230. I have seen these engine make 400 hp. So I started with a diesel pumpUK custom injector pump. It should flow enough to make 300 although I will detune it slightly for my needs. Injectors are from another UK company, have to look up the name. Essentially it’s a 314 racing injector. Then a super Hx35 blown through the largest intercooler that will fit. I’m not throwing out the idea of a top mount intercooler with a puller fan sucking air down through the hood and a small hood scoop.

Reactions: Rickyd and Wildman
How cost effective is that to a Trailready which provides many options to meet the specs?

Have no idea since I've not priced a Trailready wheel in years.

But if you want a dual beadlock wheel this is a good option. Or you get a Hutchinson but you're limited with them.
When I got my rims from him I think they were around $300 per wheel. This included the insert & color of your choice.
Here's his current prices for a 17" rim

1694629098557.png

Have no idea since I've not priced a Trailready wheel in years.

But if you want a dual beadlock wheel this is a good option. Or you get a Hutchinson but you're limited with them.
When I got my rims from him I think they were around $300 per wheel. This included the insert & color of your choice.
Here's his current prices for a 17" rim

View attachment 457477

What's a "Cold Role" Ring?

What's a "Cold Role" Ring?

It's a lip protecter. Take a piece of round stock and make it the size of the rim.
You are having memory issues since I'd covered this in my thread about these wheels and you'd commented in that thread.

Rock Rings
Rock rings can be added to any order at any time till the day the finish is put on the rims
All welds are ground and sanded smooth with low spots filled with weld for clean one piece look
Rock rings can also be purchased by them selves and installed by the customer at a 15$ discount off the listed price

COLD ROLE RINGS
Cold Role Rings are 1/2" round stock roled into a hoop and welded into the lip of the rim. After welding all welds are machined/sanded smooth with low spots filled for clean one piece look
Cold Role Rings are near half the price as a Rock Ring yet provid just as much aditional strength to the lip and dont hold mud like a full rock ring does Cold Role Rings can be added to your wheels any time up till the day the finish is put on the rims
Cold Role Rings can also be purchased by them selves and installed by the customer at a 15$ discount off the listed price

It's a lip protecter. Take a piece of round stock and make it the size of the rim.
You are having memory issues since I'd covered this in my thread about these wheels and you'd commented in that thread.

Rock Rings
Rock rings can be added to any order at any time till the day the finish is put on the rims
All welds are ground and sanded smooth with low spots filled with weld for clean one piece look
Rock rings can also be purchased by them selves and installed by the customer at a 15$ discount off the listed price

COLD ROLE RINGS
Cold Role Rings are 1/2" round stock roled into a hoop and welded into the lip of the rim. After welding all welds are machined/sanded smooth with low spots filled for clean one piece look
Cold Role Rings are near half the price as a Rock Ring yet provid just as much aditional strength to the lip and dont hold mud like a full rock ring does Cold Role Rings can be added to your wheels any time up till the day the finish is put on the rims
Cold Role Rings can also be purchased by them selves and installed by the customer at a 15$ discount off the listed price

Oh a cold rolled ring, makes sense.

Reading what they wrote, I wouldn't give them any money.

See how big the lip on this rim is? It's because of the cold role ring.

20200514_152136.jpg

Oh a cold rolled ring, makes sense.

Reading what they wrote, I wouldn't give them any money.

Why? What makes you not like their product? They've been in business now for over 20 years so that's got to say something. I remember when he first started posting on Pirate.

See how big the lip on this rim is? It's because of the cold role ring.

View attachment 457478

Why? What makes you not like their product? They've been in business now for over 20 years so that's got to say something. I remember when he first started posting on Pirate.

Because it should be a roll ring. It is rolled not roled. Provide has an e on the end. Additional has two d's.

I know people misspell things but when you own a business attention to detail is important.

Didn't you break the center out of your wheels or were those different wheels?

Last edited:
Reactions: P man
On a serious note, I second the TR rims suggestion. I was extremely happy with them when I had them on my LJ. As previously stated, Hutchinson does make a nice DOT legal double beadlock wheel, but they do not make a set in 8x170. Also, the aluminum they use gouges too easily for rock use; my JK has the scars to prove it. There is a company that is making a nice protector ring for the Hutchinson wheels, but unfortunately, it's only available for the 5x5 wheels at this time. I told them I'd be first in line if they made a set for 8x6.5.

Looking forward to following this build. I would love to swap to a diesel if I could; unfortunately CARB has rescinded that option here in CA.

Reactions: Wildman
Because it should be a roll ring. It is rolled not roled. Provide has an e on the end. Additional has two d's.

I know people misspell things but when you own a business attention to detail is important.

Didn't you break the center out of your wheels or were those different wheels?

Maybe just on a slim chance that is what it's called in this application?

Totally different wheels. The center I broke was a DIY Hummer wheel with a weld in center. If you look at the pictures you'll see the wheels he builds are a double center.

I might have mentioned it but I bought a used turbo setup for the 4.0. I plan to run it in the interim until the om617 is ready to go in. Couple buddies have already informed me I might not want to go back to the diesel after running the turbo setup. This is is a built setup that runs about 7psi in normal operation. Quick spring change in the wastegate will push it to 10 if needed. Current owner states it’s a hell of a lot of fun to drive. Ha!! I queasy we will find out.

Another part I picked up was a pair of these MRAP seats. I’ve used them in the past for builds and I really like them. I’ll graft these to the jeep seat bases for now. Then mount them to the new cage after it’s built. The super dense memory foam in these seats makes riding for long road trips really nice. If you get a chance I highly recommend a set.

IMG_3466.jpeg

Reactions: Wildman
I might have mentioned it but I bought a used turbo setup for the 4.0. I plan to run it in the interim until the om617 is ready to go in. Couple buddies have already informed me I might not want to go back to the diesel after running the turbo setup. This is is a built setup that runs about 7psi in normal operation. Quick spring change in the wastegate will push it to 10 if needed. Current owner states it’s a hell of a lot of fun to drive. Ha!! I queasy we will find out.

Maybe,but if you can get an honest 250hp(and close to double that in torque!) out of the om617 my money would be on it for the fun factor

Last edited:
Reactions: Dieseldaddy