Diesel Daddy's dream TJ

Dieseldaddy

Purveyor of the black smoke
Supporting Member
Alright fellers,

Long time lurker here and used the site for a lot of tech and topical info. Figured I needed to join and give back a little of what I have taken over the years. Diesel master tech, I’ve completed about 75 full diesel conversions in my shop with Cummins, Mercedes and VW engines. Full fab shop and the skills to use it. So now it begins.

I’ve spent the last decade elbow deep in other peoples projects. The one question I always got was where’s your rig? Well, spending so much time in the shop for others leaves little time for me. That needed to change. So after some soul searching I decided it was time to partially retire. I sat down and thought about what I, me, personally wanted. I wanted a TJ. For me it always seemed like the perfect platform and for me I like the looks. I sourced a clean 98 4.0 5
Speed Sahara as the base of everything. I’ve been driving it for the last month or so. Diesel is life so the choice was made to use the OM617 Mercedes diesel. Oh, not a stock motor children. How would that look for the diesel daddy to go stock. So this little five banger is getting the works. I’m looking for 250 hp and I’ll get it with just a few mods. We dragged the engine home, tore it down and got it ready for machine work. Sourced the needed parts and moved on to the next thing.

Axles: with the aftermarket support given for the super duty axles it seemed like an obvious choice. I sourced a set from a 2003 f350 for 600 bucks. To these I’ll stuff 5:38 gears, chrome shafts, ox lockers and probably arctec truss kits. More because it seems the easiest and most complete setup.

Lift: terra flex, long arm suspension with a few upgrades. 4.5” which will end up being closer to 6” with the axles truss brackets.

Tires and wheels: I want to run 38’s or 40’s. Undetermined at this point. Wheels, I really want to run something simple, steel and heavy duty. I’m leaning towards the stock ford spare tire wheels. They are almost flat on the front with a deeeep offset. Which will tuck them back under the truck. They’re cheap and they’re tough. I like go, not show.

Structural and overview: what I’m looking for is essentially a “stock” looking rig. I know, 40’s ain’t going to look stock but hear me out. No comp cuts, no big lift,
No tube fenders. I don’t want a competition rig. I want a comfortable beast of a rig that will go wherever I point it. Trail or mid. Then zip down to the grocery store or out on the island to the beach. So follow along as I get it going. Most of the parts have been sourced. Now it’s just doing the work.

70796264658__B742F2EC-D05B-4002-91D4-38CBD182FA4A.jpeg

And now for something completely different...
I don’t know how different it is. I’ve seen all of it done well in the past, I’m just adding my little twist on it. I know it will take time,
So I’m not getting in a hurry. My 4.0 is healthy. Side note: I picked up a full turbo kit and his evening for the 4.0. Ha! Might as well have some fun with it while the diesel is under the knife. Maybe it will live past the suspension and axle mods. Who knows.

Reactions: Woodrow
An interesting one to watch for sure. If you're going to wheel it hard the steel wheels won't be a friend. It's surprising how easily they bend, especially when running low tire pressure. On the plus side you can beat them with a hammer to reseal a broken bead. Also with your planned drivetrain, just go to 40s. And, welcome to your version of the Jeep madness! 😉

Reactions: Dieseldaddy
I don’t know how different it is. I’ve seen all of it done well in the past, I’m just adding my little twist on it. I know it will take time,
So I’m not getting in a hurry. My 4.0 is healthy. Side note: I picked up a full turbo kit and his evening for the 4.0. Ha! Might as well have some fun with it while the diesel is under the knife. Maybe it will live past the suspension and axle mods. Who knows.

Our resident turbo expert is @Jezza

👍

An interesting one to watch for sure. If you're going to wheel it hard the steel wheels won't be a friend. It's surprising how easily they bend, especially when running low tire pressure. On the plus side you can beat them with a hammer to reseal a broken bead. Also with your planned drivetrain, just go to 40s. And, welcome to your version of the Jeep madness! 😉

I thought the stock steelies would be a good place to start. I want the tires tucked in as much as possible and they are the only wheels I have seen with that much backspacing. I’d really like to run something like the Himmwv 24 bolt headlocks but I’m not digging the 16.5 tires or the 8x6.5 bolt pattern. 8x170 is fine with me. No reason to convert.

Reactions: Irun
I thought the stock steelies would be a good place to start. I want the tires tucked in as much as possible and they are the only wheels I have seen with that much backspacing. I’d really like to run something like the Himmwv 24 bolt headlocks but I’m not digging the 16.5 tires or the 8x6.5 bolt pattern. 8x170 is fine with me. No reason to convert.

Look at Trailready beadlocks. Pick the backspacing and bolt pattern you want.

Subscribing....big diesel fan here as well. Never owned a 617 but had a OM603. Always wanted a SD with a 617 but I didn't really fit in them with their low ceilings. Presently own a Sprinter (OM642), a 7.3 Powerstoke and a VW TDI. And the Jeep of course. Would love to have a diesel in that but with my skill level it would take years. I'm OK at working on stuff but fabbing? Years.

Subscribing....big diesel fan here as well. Never owned a 617 but had a OM603. Always wanted a SD with a 617 but I didn't really fit in them with their low ceilings. Presently own a Sprinter (OM642), a 7.3 Powerstoke and a VW TDI. And the Jeep of course. Would love to have a diesel in that but with my skill level it would take years. I'm OK at working on stuff but fabbing? Years.

Honestly, with the kits that people have these days, very little fabrication is required. A good many have kits that are all but bolt in. They have all come a long way from where we started.

You cut out the centers and weld in new centers with the bolt pattern you want and you set your back spacing where you want.

1694580735123.png

1694580782291.png

Rock rings are your friend when running steel wheel.

1694580857635.png

They looked really good for a short time.

1694580911712.png

First day in Moab I scratched them and bent them...

IMGP2276.JPG

IMGP2277.JPG

The main drawback to Hummer rims is the 16.5 size and you're about only going to find Interco tires in that size.

There is a company called StazWorks that makes the dual beadlock wheels in whatever size you want. They are steel so they ain't lite but they are nice wheels.

20200514_111949.jpg

The insert fits in-between the two half's of the rim

20200514_121641.jpg

Bolt them together and you have a dual beadlock wheel. I've ran them all the way down to 1 PSI too.

20200515_061844.jpg

20200603_170135.jpg

You cut out the centers and weld in new centers with the bolt pattern you want and you set your back spacing where you want.

View attachment 457381

View attachment 457382

Rock rings are your friend when running steel wheel.

View attachment 457383

They looked really good for a short time.

View attachment 457384

First day in Moab I scratched them and bent them...

View attachment 457385

View attachment 457386

The main drawback to Hummer rims is the 16.5 size and you're about only going to find Interco tires in that size.

There is a company called StazWorks that makes the dual beadlock wheels in whatever size you want. They are steel so they ain't lite but they are nice wheels.

View attachment 457387

The insert fits in-between the two half's of the rim

View attachment 457388

Bolt them together and you have a dual beadlock wheel. I've ran them all the way down to 1 PSI too.

View attachment 457389

View attachment 457390

I ran the hummer wheels with weld in centers on a couple of off-road trucks but I don’t think I would run them on the highway. There was someone that took those wheels and recentered them on a lathe to your specs but I can’t remember who that was.

My storage shed is starting to fill up. I’ve been ordering and gsthering parts for about 3 months now, patiently waiting to do things methodically. That is instead of just tearing it down and looking at it for a couple months.

Plan is to build the axles first. Gears and lockers were out for delivery this morning.

Reactions: bbaldwin237
This sounds like a great build. I like the mix of offroad beast but keeping stockish look.

I’m going to try my very best. I don’t need every inch of up travel and every centimeter of wheelbase. I need comfort and tough enough I can’t tear it up. Lower horsepower with larger running gear keeps things nice and happy.

I ran the hummer wheels with weld in centers on a couple of off-road trucks but I don’t think I would run them on the highway. There was someone that took those wheels and recentered them on a lathe to your specs but I can’t remember who that was.

10 years ago I think it was easier to find a few companies that recentered the Hummer wheels. For the price StazWorks is your better deal. And you can get a 17" or 15" or whichever you want. You have a choice of different center designs and widths plus they come powder coated in your choice of colors too.

My recentered wheels were not highway friendly.

Reactions: Dieseldaddy
10 years ago I think it was easier to find a few companies that recentered the Hummer wheels. For the price StazWorks is your better deal. And you can get a 17" or 15" or whichever you want. You have a choice of different center designs and widths plus they come powder coated in your choice of colors too.

My recentered wheels were not highway friendly.

Probably going to need larger wheels than 15's for the brake size needed on those axles.