Dirt Bike Suggestions?

Chris S

TJ Enthusiast
I dont have any pictures right now, but Ive been riding my 2001 Yamaha TTR225 and my dads WR450F around my farm, and I have taken the 450 to motocross tracks a couple times to ride. However the TTR, which is my bike, isnt really built for that and is honestly too heavy for the woods. Any suggestions for bikes that excel at both track and trail?

I was looking at maybe an rmz250, crf250, or yz250f. I think I would prefer a 4 stroke and something 250cc, but Im open to all suggestions.

Unless you buy new, I would stay away from the 250's. The high performance aspect of the engine doesn't lead to reliability without costly rebuilds.

Hard starting is the first sign.

A (gently) used older KTM300 can be found for a reasonable price and it’s probably the best all around dirtbike I’ve ever had. It’s by far the best trailbike and you can still take it to have some fun on a track, but obviously you have to compromise suspension one way or the other because pure (stiff) mx bikes suck on trails and a great trailbike will bottom out too easy on bigger mx jumps.

Two strokes are easier to work on. The RM 250 YZ 250 as well as the KTM and Husqvarna are all good choices.
Like afmoto said. The KTM 300 is probably the best all round two stroke around. Four stroke, look into the off road models, not the mx models so much. Four stroke mx bikes require much more engine maintenance.
Enjoy! And good luck.

Reactions: OldYeller
My neighbor bought an electric MX bike. Thing is sick. Don’t know the brand, but it’s light and easy to maneuver. He is more of a hair scramble guy, so can’t speak for track performance.

Personally, I’ve always been partial to the YZ series. Too many moving parts in a 4 stroke. Too spendy when something goes wrong mechanically, or it’s time for rings, and a piston. Had a 03 yz125 years ago, that was as dependable as you could ask for. I absolutely tortured that bike, and it always fired on the first or second kick. Unless the plug fouled. Was light and moneverable at speed on trails, and handled 35-40’ table tops like a champ. Cheaper parts, unlike KTM, and easy to work on. Was light enough to unload, without a ramp, in a lifted truck by myself ( I’m 5’6” and 140lbs). My brother in-law Woods races a KTM 300, in pro class, and every time I talk to him, he wishes he would have bought the YZ250X, and tweaked the suspension to his liking.

I’d defiantly go 2 stroke, unless the snappy throttle, and power band isn’t your taste. Seems like a waste of energy to be wrestling around a heavy 4 stroke. Just my .02.

Here is an old picture of it in all of its glory lol!
62F813DA-C2A5-4DBE-8F4A-2D156E783F12.jpeg

Good luck with your search!!

Reactions: Chris S
I have a 2003 crf450r that I've owned for 12 years. Only issue with it was about half way through my ownership it needed a new top end.

I actually have my buddies 2003 ttr225 sitting in my garage for the last 5 years. Those bikes are slow and heavy. Also, it seems like every time it goes down something bends or breaks. Compared to my honda it is a very brittle bike.

I've rode a crf250r and it was fun. Not crazy powerful but enough to have fun with. I would consider trading my 450 for one.

It's always more fun going fast on something slow than slow on something fast.

I've rode KTM for a while, last bike I had was an 2011 250SXF with a factory engine, really liked that bike. But, you can find the XC lineup from KTM is user friendly. The 300 is a great bike as is the smaller bore 200 if you can find them.
I never had an issue out of my 250F's from KTM, I did have valve issues out of my Honda CRF250 but I'm sure honda has addressed that by now.
Used four strokes are a gamble, they were either well maintained or ready to blow, and when they bow, it aint cheap; I blew up a 450 and it was worth more as parts or parted out than my time rebuilding it. I haven't ridden in a few years so thing may have changed, but a good used KTM 2-stroke is easy to find and maintain. You can add flywheel weights and a rekluse clutch to really make the bike almost as easy to ride as your ttr but with more suspension and power.
My old factory bike:
2011-08-31_19-22-35_520.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the suggestions,

I actually have my buddies 2003 ttr225 sitting in my garage for the last 5 years. Those bikes are slow and heavy. Also, it seems like every time it goes down something bends or breaks. Compared to my honda it is a very brittle bike.

Youre absolutely right about it being brittle, I personally would not buy another ttr225 but Im sure, just like every other bike, theres a time and a place for it.

Im looking at a 2001 KTM 250sx tomorrow, it needs a little work, but Im willing to get my hands dirty and its for a good price. Ill update you guys on how it goes.

Thanks again!

Reactions: Alex01
This thread motivated me to get my buddies TTR225 running last night.
Thanks everyone for the suggestions,

Youre absolutely right about it being brittle, I personally would not buy another ttr225 but Im sure, just like every other bike, theres a time and a place for it.

Im looking at a 2001 KTM 250sx tomorrow, it needs a little work, but Im willing to get my hands dirty and its for a good price. Ill update you guys on how it goes.

Thanks again!
He originally bought his when I was riding an xr200. We were both learning how to ride so it did its job. It's always been a PITA though compared to the other bikes. One time he dropped it going through a mud pit and the start button fell out. He had to push it quite a bit that day.

The 250sx is a 2 stock correct? I have been thinking lately about selling my bike and buying a ktm dual sport. Not that I really want to ride on the freeway but I typically ride up near Lake Tahoe and a dual-sport seems like it would be really fun up there.

I hope the bike purchase turns out well. Don't forget to add some pictures if you get it.

Last edited:
Reactions: OldYeller