DIY: How to make a hood latch lock for a TJ

JonnyJeep

After researching and testing the limited options for TJ hood locks and not finding a good solution, thought I’d share what I ended up making as it’s pretty solid and relatively cheap to make.

Supplies needed:
Welder
Angle grinder
Sand paper
Crescent wrench

1/2” metal bar (Home Depot)
Lock with long shackle
Black spray paint

Instructions:
Remove the 3 screws from the “V” shaped bracket inside the grill and remove the bracket.

Cut the 1/2” metal bar to fit inside the top of the bracket. Sand the paint from the bar and bracket and weld together.

Drill a hole in the latch for the lock.
Paint everything black and install.

Lock goes through hole in latch, and around metal bar to secure the hood down.

A7C86763-DB64-4B1D-9138-FF071D128ECC.jpeg

CDA69181-8B72-437C-86BD-996FE7088C4D.jpeg

1498C1C9-CFB5-42F9-BB82-3F453D0611DE.jpeg

A839E187-8E08-4468-B77C-695BE698D13E.jpeg

Why not just use "locking" hood latches if you feel the need to lock your hood down?
Seems like that'd be a PITA to reach in to unlock?

Why not just use "locking" hood latches if you feel the need to lock your hood down?
Did consider that, but wanted something more discreet. The price I saw of $150 (DV8 lock) was also a bit outside my budget for this project.

It’s pretty easy to get unlocked, but I will say it is a bit of a PITA to get the lock back on.

• Haha
Reactions: Tray Burge
Why did you need this? Were you having an actual problem of people opening up your hood?

I guess if I had an air compressor under the hood or something I might be more concerned about it. But realistically the person walking by who might break into a jeep probably isn’t going to be real concerned about a dirty air compressor in there.

Did consider that, but wanted something more discreet. The price I saw of more than I wanted to spend.
Why did you need this? Were you having an actual problem of people opening up your hood?

I guess if I had an air compressor under the hood or something I might be more concerned about it. But realistically the person walking by who might break into a jeep probably isn’t going to be real concerned about a dirty air compressor in there.
reasons:
It’s my daily/only driver so mostly peace of mind.
Been doing a lot of work under the hood and have a custom dual bat setup that would be very easy/quick to swipe.
Also travel a lot to unfamiliar areas.

All in all the added security is worth the inconvenience of a minute extra getting the lock on/off each time to me.

How about a cable hooked to the hood with a loop on the other end you can lock to what ever to keep the hood from opening