Do grille inserts affect airflow through the condenser and radiator?

Well would you rather I be like all the dumbasses on another site and keep repeating what size tires on stock suspension and what size lift should I get or what should I name my jeep or complain that nobody waves at me

• Haha
Reactions: Steel City 06
Maybe black on my patriot blue but for sure not chrome... looking to get black rims and some mudders when this stupid all seasons that po put on wear out

Only thing I wanna do to my almost classic is about 2 inch lift some 33s and a few stickers ... windshield was changed sometime in the past and replaced with non jeep glass... wanna crack it so i can get the little jeep in the corner with bigfoot chasing it

Missed it ...guy at one of our parts houses says real jeeps dont have square headlight ... known that for many years lol

Will likely get grille insert or insect screen. Lots of rocks on the roads in my area. I'd rather they hit the insert/screen instead of the radiator from highway.

Did a little math because people like @Jerry Bransford often like to say grill inserts are some sort of issue.

For the not faint at heart here it is. If the fan is flowing 2200cfm through the stock grill that requires about 0.2 psi of pressure drop. If you reduce the grill openings from 2" to 1.5" with the same fan speed you will reduce that flow to 1500 cfm. As the temperature increases the fan now spins faster. To increase the flow back to 2200cfm requires 0.5 psi drop total which takes about 50W or 0.07HP extra. This is the extra work required from your 190HP engine to make up for closing your grill up 1/2".

1/10 HP

Feel free to crunch the numbers yourself, please don't take my word for it. All I am suggesting is that some peoples opinion on the subject are a bit questionable regardless on who they are. My real world experience also happens to agree with the math. I personally wouldn't blame cooling system problems on the grill (even an angry grill).
I'm not sure what the 2" and 1.5" refer to, but, on the honeycomb snap-ins, I calculate about a 60% reduction in air inflow area. That is, the 7 stock grill vents are about 180 Sq.in. total area, and with the honeycombs in, the total airflow area is just about 70 Sq.in. (the honeycomb holes are 1/2" diameter and there's 49 of them in each insert). Somebody can check my math, but that's what I get.

Maybe a $30 mod could turn into a $300 repair a few years down the road, or worse. That's my concern on a new vehicle.

They have not made one bit of difference during a continuing hot Australian summer many days well over 100 including this weekend, many of which are super hot dry heat and today with very high humidity!
If inserts cause your temp to go up its because your cooling system isnt working properly to start with, stick a big winch and spotlights there with the inserts and you are possibly blocking/deflecting too much front air flow but inserts have made no difference to my temp whatsoever.