Do grille inserts affect airflow through the condenser and radiator?

I used math just to make sure what I observed in real life made sense. I wouldn't just depend on the math for this kind of thing, you get in trouble real fast that way. Read post #55.

Don't tell anyone, but post #55 is where I got the 40% number that I already mentioned as being aforementioned in my question(s) to you...so I'm slightly more than 40% sure that I have already read that post.

I'm not very good at math, myself, but I know a guy that knows a guy that's really good at this kind of thing, so I can probably still figure out whether or not calculating a 40% reduction in the grille's open area is as pointless as you said it is.

Since we are revelling in tediousness, can someone work out the decrease in life expectancy of the fan clutch as air flow through the radiator is reduced?

Since we are revelling in tediousness, can someone work out the decrease in life expectancy of the fan clutch as air flow through the radiator is reduced?

Well, my next question was going to be "at what point does the decrease actually become a problem?" because logic and simple observation dictate that there must be such a point...but that kind of tedium usually only appeals to people like me (that don't have anything better to do).

You know...now that I think about it, testing this entire concept is actually pretty simple.

Prove it with math.

Well, my next question was going to be "at what point does the decrease actually become a problem?" because logic and simple observation dictate that there must be such a point...but that kind of tedium usually only appeals to people like me (that don't have anything better to do).

You know...now that I think about it, testing this entire concept is actually pretty simple.

Can you imagine the joy if we could objectively say that someone has exceeded their allotment of air flow restrictions resulting from too many winches, inserts, meanie faces, light bars, longhorn horns and holiday wreathes?

Last edited:
Can you imagine the joy when we could objectively say that someone has exceeded their allotment of air flow redistrictions resulting from too many winches, inserts, meanie faces, light bars, longhorn horns and holiday wreathes?

No, but that's only because I'm contractually-obligated to not imagine joy.

There's a ton of posts here and probably none are completely wrong but if the amount of air didn't make much difference there probably wouldn't be a fan to begin with.

You'd need a fan to move air when the vehicle isn't moving. Once up to speed the fan isn't doing much.

Reactions: Shamu
There is no "yes or no" answer. Every radiator is slightly different. Every water pump could be newer older and the efficiency of every cooling system will vary. What about if an auto trans has a cooler in there, or how old the coolant is, and it goes on and on. In the end it "should " be fine to install them, but your system could either be on the edge of failure, or be in better than original shape. If you are having no issues then they shouldn't be a problem. That is the best anybody can give you from a forum.

It's more that we have too much time on our hands and enjoy being smart a$$es

On my part, it's that I care more about actually understanding things than arriving at a "yes or no" answer that I'm powerless to explain in any way, and that may or may not be correct. What the fuck is this: a forum, or No Jeep Left Behind?

OP: hypothetically speaking, what would you have done if we'd all just parroted a simple "no" that we, also, didn't understand...only to have you accept that answer carte blanche and install a set of inserts, and then suffer your rig overeating and blowing a head gasket? Could you do anything but scratch your head and wonder what the fuck happened? You would "know" that it couldn't be the grille inserts, but you would only be able to think that because you just accepted the word of a bunch of internet assholes that don't know a single goddamned thing about cooling systems. Personally, I wouldn't trust us...at least not until we can demonstrate understanding of our answers.

Hehehehehe..."No Jeep Left Behind." That's the funniest thing I've said this entire week...

Reactions: Fouledplugs