Do grille inserts affect airflow through the condenser and radiator?

I'm not sure what the 2" and 1.5" refer to, but, on the honeycomb snap-ins, I calculate about a 60% reduction in air inflow area. That is, the 7 stock grill vents are about 180 Sq.in. total area, and with the honeycombs in, the total airflow area is just about 70 Sq.in. (the honeycomb holes are 1/2" diameter and there's 49 of them in each insert). Somebody can check my math, but that's what I get.
Here’s my math:

Ran just under 210 before grille inserts, run just under 210 after grille inserts.

Here’s my math:

Ran just under 210 before grille inserts, run just under 210 after grille inserts.
That's good to know. Jeep could've over designed the cooling system for heavy breathing, or, the thermostat is just open more and the fan's running more. Did you notice the fan running longer after inserts, esp. after shutting off the engine?

It’s a mechanical fan that turns and shuts off with the engine.

I’ve noticed 0 difference. I even have a winch in front of the grille. It’s only gotten a little over 210 when idling in the parking lot during the summer with AC on. It did the same before the inserts and still goes back to normal when moving.

Having fun reading the back and forth on this feed. I did run my wrangler with a grille insert and it did overheat and it did blow my head gaskets. 😫 Can’t guarantee it was from the grille insert as I’ve only had her for a year and she’s a 2012 so issue may have been there for awhile but I will not be running an insert anymore once she’s repaired. A $3000 repair is not worth the risk in my opinion.

Having fun reading the back and forth on this feed. I did run my wrangler with a grille insert and it did overheat and it did blow my head gaskets. 😫 Can’t guarantee it was from the grille insert as I’ve only had her for a year and she’s a 2012 so issue may have been there for awhile but I will not be running an insert anymore once she’s repaired. A $3000 repair is not worth the risk in my opinion.
2012 is also a different design and engine from the 1997-2006 TJ this forum is built for. Sorry you didn’t watch your gauges though!

Does US vehicle insurance cover getting a hole in your radiator?

If it was the result of an on-road accident I suppose it would be, but they mostly exclude any off-road damage so running a tree branch through it wouldn't be covered.

Not to mention a radiator costs less than most deductibles anyway so even if it was covered, it would still be out of your pocket if there wasn't other damage.

The reduction of airflow from the grill inserts is fact, not up for debate. Whether it results in anything noticeable to the driver on the average TJ, or a specific TJ, will vary depending on how much margin remains in the original design after two decades of whatever level of maintenance that particular TJ has had.

Another date point. I put the EAG honeycomb inserts (black, not chrome) on my '03 and have run it up the aforementioned hill on 395 north of Bishop with no discernable change in engine temps. Since I tow the Jeep behind my motor home, my concern is rocks in my brand-new condenser. I also have a winch and factory fog lights in the airflow in front of the radiatior.

Do the grill inserts affect airflow thru the condenser and radiator ...would it cause the ac to not work as well or the engine to overheat tia

I was wondering the same thing. I put inserts on my 2011 JK and had no issues driving around town but I’ve noticed when I am on long steep grades driving up the passes in the upper cascades my temperature will fluctuate and go from “half” to “3/4 heat”. After having everything checked twice plus changing the oil, coolant and air filters I am left to think that when it’s working extra hard it may be feeling the restricted air supply. I’m going to remove them and see if I notice a difference. I’ll keep ya posted.
Do the grill inserts affect airflow thru the condenser and radiator ...would it cause the ac to not work as well or the engine to overheat tia

Reactions: 2001slvrstntj