Do I need to strengthen my engine for a supercharger?

I havent had either but @Chris is right about running a low enough psi and proper tune to do no harm... while he chooses turbo over superchargers I have no idea, maybe because you might not suffer as much in MPG with a turbo since they spool top end? but if im not mistaken turbos generate more heat and give more power at the top of the powerband, while superchargers give you immediate torque/power all across the rpm range since they are belt driven(twin screw style) If I were boosting my TJ, I would supercharge it.
That amount of bullshit right there is precisely why I installed and ran a charger on my 04.
1- you can not make power without additional fuel. Therefore if you run the engine where you can tell it is boosted, your mileage will suffer.
2- chargers give you power when you put your foot in it. If you don't, they act exactly the same as stock at any RPM. If you do not put your foot in it, you would never even know that there is a charger installed since they are 100% demand based.
3- you can NOT compress air without producing heat. The heat needs to be dealt with however you compress the air.
4- even at the low 6psi that is the common boost pressure, detonation will have to be dealt with in some manner or you'll do not nice things to the motor.
5- if you can't get a minimum 6psi in boost, don't bother, the minor increase in felt performance is not worth it.

Reactions: pc1p, D M and Chris
Hear what you say and agree in part.
I’ve always been a Roush guy, having owned and raced 2 Ford Lightnings, and 3 SVT Cobras. Spent 3 years working with the top Ford Superchips tuner after I left Ford Motor Company in 2005.
Still service several local FAI vehicles.
I do suggest water to air inter cooled to anyone thinking of going FAI.
Just saying you can lean on a non- inter cooled vehicle if you so choose.

Hello Chris, I notice that the Banks Turbo kit for the TJ seems no longer to be available?

Your views have changed over time...you waxed lyrically about the Magnum Powers supercharger....so wondered as a font of amassed knowledge what your latest views are?

Personally I struggle to see how you can really boost any engine turbo/super without an inter cooler?

i did an old Mitsubishi L200 truck here in the UK with a 28 diesel and bolted on a turbo kit without intercooler..on cold days and limited distances it was quite good but as soon as it got warmer (+20c) and sustained driving the heat fade was profound..
The 3 most common methods of cooling charge air are air to air intercooler, air to liquid intercooler and an additional injector that sprays fuel under boost to both add needed fuel and cool the charge air.

Of the 3, air to liquid is best, 7th injector is worst. They all work to some degree but nothing works as good as air to liquid except for refrigerated.

Reactions: DWR and Chris
That amount of bullshit right there is precisely why I installed and ran a charger on my 04.
1- you can not make power without additional fuel. Therefore if you run the engine where you can tell it is boosted, your mileage will suffer.
2- chargers give you power when you put your foot in it. If you don't, they act exactly the same as stock at any RPM. If you do not put your foot in it, you would never even know that there is a charger installed since they are 100% demand based.
3- you can NOT compress air without producing heat. The heat needs to be dealt with however you compress the air.
4- even at the low 6psi that is the common boost pressure, detonation will have to be dealt with in some manner or you'll do not nice things to the motor.
5- if you can't get a minimum 6psi in boost, don't bother, the minor increase in felt performance is not worth it.
It’s all in the tuning process.
Air fuels and timing are CRITICAL, like I said in my previous post.
Under normal driving conditions the boost bypass valve allows for the engine to run normally.

So let me get this straight, people want to take a vehicle with the aerodynamic shape of a toaster and put a supercharger on it?

How do I go about making my corvette ready to take on the Rubicon trail?

• Haha
Reactions: Tob and Chris
Get a Hellcat if you want the whine. I remember driving my Hellcat, that thing just whined like mad the moment you get on it.

Eaton M90s do not whine.

So let me get this straight, people want to take a vehicle with the aerodynamic shape of a toaster and put a supercharger on it?

How do I go about making my corvette ready to take on the Rubicon trail?
Nothing you do when it comes to larger tires, taller suspension adds to the drivability of a vehicle that is at best, anemic in stock form. Everything you do takes it further away from its stock level of performance. The desire to run power adders that work are merely to get them back to their stock state of crappy.

Reactions: pc1p
Both of my Lightnings had the aerodynamics of a 4600 pound brick.
Both making over 490RWHP, and 560+ lb. ft torque at 18-20 pounds of boost, on stock internals.

Both running as all early 2000’s Ford SVT’s did from the factory, belt whining Eaton M90 superchargers.
So all M90’s do indeed produce belt whining scream.

Both of my Lightnings had the aerodynamics of a 4600 pound brick.
Both making over 490RWHP, and 560+ lb. ft torque at 18-20 pounds of boost, on stock internals.

Both running as all early 2000’s Ford SVT’s did from the factory, belt whining Eaton M90 superchargers.
So all M90’s do indeed produce belt whining scream.
I trust you know what a M90 looks like? If so, that means you recognize this charger and it did not scream.
DSC_3850.JPG

Last of my belt whining Eaton M90’s.
Best time of 11.22 @121mph on stock 3:55 independent rear suspension and 93 pump gas at Bristol Fun Ford Weekend in 2004.
Driven on street today looking for unsuspecting Vettes.
Do my own tuning too.

82163358-F042-4D2E-B006-43212B85B99E.jpeg

6D99ADDF-778C-4FC7-B7AC-EEE6CA52CD4E.jpeg

50205B8F-7BFD-4674-8BE5-B0DFB0394AC0.jpeg

1090F09B-74BF-4F0D-A1A2-5874D6B81931.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: pc1p and Tob
how much power were you making on what octane?Did you upgrade any internals of the motor? Just curious.

how much power were you making on what octane?Did you upgrade any internals of the motor? Just curious.
No internal upgrades, running 18# of safe boost at 12.6-12.8 AFR, accomplished by small upper and large lower blower drive pulleys.
93 octane Sunoco. Launched at 5200 rpm, shift light set at 6100.
1.58-1.60 60 foot on Mickey Thompson grooved slicks.

Reactions: D M