Do I need to strengthen my engine for a supercharger?

I still think it's a great supercharger as long as you aren't foolish enough to believe it's a "kit".

You'll end up putting around $2000 or more into making it run right. I also think the fact that it requires the use of an aftermarket radiator, an electric fan, and has a history of overheating issues in warmer climates due to this is a potentially big deal.

You can obviously solve those issues, but again, you're going to spend at least $2000 or more on top of the kit to get things sorted out, not to mention you'll still need to invest time and money in some good dyno tuning in order to get it running really good.

At the end of the day, it's just not worth it to me. In terms of superchargers, I think it's the best one for a TJ. However, I'd pick a turbo any day over a supercharger if I wanted to go down this path again.
Thanks for the insights..I think that’s enough to put me off that route...if anybody can point to a well suited turbo with intercooler kit for an 04 TJ I would be interested..otherwise I’ll resign myself to going sedately..

Hardly surprising that an engine design from 1965 doesn’t quite hack it compared to a design from 2010 in terms of FAI..

You’re correct, variables are numerous.

Now, educate me on this. With the $$ involved with superchargers and turbos, why not just convert to LS power? 4.8 or even a 5.3? Damn near indestructible and great stock HP and torque numbers.

Because fitting it is a rabbit hole of epic proportions.

I priced out a 5.3 swap into my TJ. This was with my doing the install but using all the Novak conversion parts to make it easier. It came out to just under 20k for everything.

However, what do I do about my Rubicon transfer case? That swap is going to leave me with a much shorter driveshaft due to how much further it's going to push things back.

So then I'm thinking the best bet is to stretch the rear 5". Well why stop there? At that point I will need a good coilover setup, and if I'm stretching the wheelbase I may as well consider 37s. Oh, but wait... I'll need some Dana 60s for that too :LOL:

The V8 also won't work without redoing the brackets for the Savvy mid-arm in the front (@toximus details this in his build).

It's a rabbit hole man, I'm telling you.

As much as I love LS engines, I just don't think it's worth putting one in a TJ unless you have lots of money and really plan to drive your TJ a lot (and way more than just off-roading).

Reactions: connor grimes
Thanks for the insights..I think that’s enough to put me off that route...if anybody can point to a well suited turbo with intercooler kit for an 04 TJ I would be interested..otherwise I’ll resign myself to going sedately..

Hardly surprising that an engine design from 1965 doesn’t quite hack it compared to a design from 2010 in terms of FAI..

I honestly think if you look you might be able to find some leftover stock of the Banks turbo kits, just call around.

I'd advise against a supercharger personally. I've owned a supercharged TJ with the Boosted Tech kit and I don't care for it that much. If I were to do it again I would go with the Banks turbo kit, which is a much better option than a supercharger for various reasons.

That being said, you don't need to strengthen your engine at all as long as you are running a low enough psi and a good tune.

The only reason you'd need to strengthen your engine would be if you plan on running very high boost numbers, in which case I would advise you plan on spending a ton of money on this.
I’ve tried looking for the banks turbo charger and they all say they’re discontinued? What’s the reasoning behind that?

I’ve tried looking for the banks turbo charger and they all say they’re discontinued? What’s the reasoning behind that?

If I had to guess, they simply weren't selling enough of them to justify keeping them around. The TJ is so old now that most companies who used to support it have now moved on to the JK and JL platform as that is where the money is at.

20k??? What drives it to that number?
Time and materials. The LS PCM doesn't drive the TJ gauges. You pay for custom gauges or figure out how to interface the GM drivers to the TJ PCM. If you want uptravel, there are many hours in getting the engine positioned correctly. If you want a raised belly, everything from the motor mounts back is full custom. Engine and trans unless you will accept a junkyard pull are going to be in the 8-10 grand range for low mileage. Harness runs between 0 and 6 grand depending on if you can build it yourself or have to buy it. Every single aspect is custom and not off the shelf. It is about 150 hours if you know what you are doing.
Shifter is custom and has to be interfaced with the TJ console. If you want uptravel or other than stock suspension, the exhaust system will be 2500 minimum any way you go about it.

The last one I did the engine, trans, and harness on a pallet sitting in the driveway was 8500.

All of that is based upon the premise that you want rock solid reliability with no bullshit like most of them are.

Reactions: D M and Chris
I called banks several years ago and was told they discontinued them because there wasn't enough market driven need to produce.

Before you go and bolt any type of Force induction, I'd strongly suggest a compression test and a cylinder leakdown test.

Reactions: LJ Jesse
I'd advise against a supercharger personally. I've owned a supercharged TJ with the Boosted Tech kit and I don't care for it that much. If I were to do it again I would go with the Banks turbo kit, which is a much better option than a supercharger for various reasons.

That being said, you don't need to strengthen your engine at all as long as you are running a low enough psi and a good tune.

The only reason you'd need to strengthen your engine would be if you plan on running very high boost numbers, in which case I would advise you plan on spending a ton of money on this.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/161393948684?campid=5337789113

any thoughts or know about this?

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
You’re correct, variables are numerous.

Now, educate me on this. With the $$ involved with superchargers and turbos, why not just convert to LS power? 4.8 or even a 5.3? Damn near indestructible and great stock HP and torque numbers.
Cost and if one does actual realistic costs, that swap never pencils out unless 20 grand for a motor swap makes sense to anyone.

This. A high end inline 6 swap (supercharger/stroker) is significantly cheaper than a high end LS swap all said and done.

I have to agree. Need clean airflow to realize cooling potential.

I can see how it works on the Subaru WRXs, but they also have a huge, functional hood scoop right on top of the intercooler. I suppose you could do that on a TJ, but I think it would look pretty stupid.

Reactions: SPECWAR
I can see how it works on the Subaru WRXs, but they also have a huge, functional hood scoop right on top of the intercooler. I suppose you could do that on a TJ, but I think it would look pretty stupid.
I would worry about air flow. I can’t imagine how the stock air box on my TJ draws enough air through that damn small snout opening.

Time and materials. The LS PCM doesn't drive the TJ gauges. You pay for custom gauges or figure out how to interface the GM drivers to the TJ PCM. If you want uptravel, there are many hours in getting the engine positioned correctly. If you want a raised belly, everything from the motor mounts back is full custom. Engine and trans unless you will accept a junkyard pull are going to be in the 8-10 grand range for low mileage. Harness runs between 0 and 6 grand depending on if you can build it yourself or have to buy it. Every single aspect is custom and not off the shelf. It is about 150 hours if you know what you are doing.
Shifter is custom and has to be interfaced with the TJ console. If you want uptravel or other than stock suspension, the exhaust system will be 2500 minimum any way you go about it.

The last one I did the engine, trans, and harness on a pallet sitting in the driveway was 8500.

All of that is based upon the premise that you want rock solid reliability with no bullshit like most of them are.
Hey now, HEY NOW,

What's with the the think it through- time and material approach ??? :unsure:
Don't you believe a complete LS swap can be accomplished cheaper than setting up a couple of R&Ps ?

Why I think I heard of complete junk yard engine ,trans, T-case, PCM. take outs with 40 miles on them and a 1yr. warranty and a case of beer for $300.00 bucks.
And your trailer park neighbor can wire it and have everything functioning and emissions legal in a afternoon !:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Seriously mrblaine I appreciate you sir!

• Haha
Reactions: Chris
Hey now, HEY NOW,

What's with the the think it through- time and material approach ??? :unsure:
Don't you believe a complete LS swap can be accomplished cheaper than setting up a couple of R&Ps ?

Why I think I heard of complete junk yard engine ,trans, T-case, PCM. take outs with 40 miles on them and a 1yr. warranty and a case of beer for $300.00 bucks.
And your trailer park neighbor can wire it and have everything functioning and emissions legal in a afternoon !:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Seriously mrblaine I appreciate you sir!

And then these shitboxes end up on Facebook Marketplace for some poor, unknown sole to end up buying (not knowing what a hack job it was done when the V8 was swapped in), only to realize they didn't get a "good deal", they got a huge fucking problem. :LOL:

Reactions: ColoJeep
I would worry about air flow. I can’t imagine how the stock air box on my TJ draws enough air through that damn small snout opening.

I agree.

And if you ever look at most highly modded WRXs, they end up moving the intercooler to the front bumper anyways.