Do I really need a lift?

ThoroughlyWet

Somewhat recently I acquired a set of metric equivalent 30×9's for my stock 03, and they rock but I want to go bigger, 32 or 33×10's. The kicker is, I very much dislike lifts as they make vehicles look like RC cars, and I'm not gonna daily an RC car, no offense...

I've read in other threads one needs 4 inches of overall lift to fit something as big as a 33 inch tire, but is there any way around this while still having some useability beyond road driving? For instance, high clearance tube fenders and some cutting to the rear tubs with the smallest of suspension lifts.

I know you guys will be asking "what do you plan on using it for?" so here's that answered. As of right now, the most off-roading I do is crossing frozen, chisel-plowed fields. In the future I would like to use it for overlanding, but as of right now it's my only car, and as I stated above, I'm not gonna daily an RC

Oh, and 4.0, 5 speed, forget what gearing atm.

Snapchat-2040234593.jpg

Last edited:
Even if it's only a 2.5 inch lift, it's a good reason to replace any components that might have worn out over the years.
It's also a fun way to have a bonding experience with your suspension and steering systems.
I run a 4 inch lift on 33s around Vegas. When on the highway or in traffic, it's nice to have a higher vantage point.

Reactions: BuildBreakRepeat
Even if it's only a 2.5 inch lift, it's a good reason to replace any components that might have worn out over the years.
It's also a fun way to have a bonding experience with your suspension and steering systems.
I run a 4 inch lift on 33s around Vegas. When on the highway or in traffic, it's nice to have a higher vantage point.
I agree. 2.5” lift would be perfect.

Somewhat recently I acquired a set of metric equivalent 30×9's for my stock 03, and they rock but I want to go bigger, 32 or 33×10's. The kicker is, I very much dislike lifts as they make vehicles look like RC cars, and I'm not gonna daily an RC car, no offense...

I've read in other threads one needs 4 inches of overall lift to fit something as big as a 33 inch tire, but is there any way around this while still having some useability beyond road driving? For instance, high clearance tube fenders and some cutting to the rear tubs with the smallest of suspension lifts.

I know you guys will be asking "what do you plan on using it for?" so here's that answered. As of right now, the most off-roading I do is crossing frozen, chisel-plowed fields. In the future I would like to use it for overlanding, but as of right now it's my only car, and as I stated above, I'm not gonna daily an RC

Oh, and 4.0, 5 speed, forget what gearing atm.

View attachment 215264
You could HiLine it. That might give you 3" or so. It's a lot of work, cutting the hood, relocating things under the hood that are attached to your fenders, et al, installing the new inner and outer fenders. It can be done with some compromises.

https://genright.com/products/tube-fenders/tj-lj-1997-2006/

You could HiLine it. That might give you 3" or so. It's a lot of work, cutting the hood, relocating things under the hood that are attached to your fenders, et al, installing the new inner and outer fenders. It can be done with some compromises.

https://genright.com/products/tube-fenders/tj-lj-1997-2006/
True. A good amount of work, would still gain some working knowledge, and it wouldn't resemble the RC image.

Reactions: JMT
Ok..you want 33's ..
Get some 2.5 -3 " springs
Adjustable track bar..
Shocks..

Done.

I can promise you this...
New springs no matter the mfg and the right shocks will actually improve your jeep's ride and drive.
A small lift won't make it look like a roller skate and if you ever plan to sell it it'll be easier than ridding a hacked up body.

Reactions: TWiG01
No, I've read somewhere that you can run 38s without a lift.
Yup.
There's a dry lake bed near here that runs TJs with 38s on stock. They work fine as long as they don't hit any bumps, and keep a straight line, and the fork lifts are available to turn it around at either end.

Ok..you want 33's ..
Get some 2.5 -3 " springs
Adjustable track bar..
Shocks..

Done.

I can promise you this...
New springs no matter the mfg and the right shocks will actually improve your jeep's ride and drive.
A small lift won't make it look like a roller skate and if you ever plan to sell it it'll be easier than ridding a hacked up body.
This is your answer. And it’s easier than making body modifications. At least any body modifications that actually look good.

I'm running 33x12.5x15's with a 2" BB lift. I ride in the woods and on mild trails with zero problems and no rubbing but I'm also not rock crawling, mudding or doing any serious wheeling. Here's a pic so you can see how it looks.

20200624_142248.jpg

How much did you end up extending your bumpstops?
I don't have any bump stop extensions nor do I have any jounce bumpers. The suspension was like that when I bought it from the previous owner. I just added the new wheels and tires.

Its my daily driver so I don't beat the hell out of it offroad. I plan on a 3" suspension lift and a 1.25" body lift when funds allow so I'll set it up properly then. For right now, I take it easy and there's no problem with rubbing.

I'm running 33x12.5x15's with a 2" BB lift. I ride in the woods and on mild trails with zero problems and no rubbing but I'm also not rock crawling, mudding or doing any serious wheeling. Here's a pic so you can see how it looks.

View attachment 215274
I'd be wwwaaayyyy more concerned about running those pantagnoia's 🥺...or however the hell they're spelled.

The Jeep looks good though and I dislike white on a Jeep. Still looks sharp!!!

I'd be wwwaaayyyy more concerned about running those pantagnoia's 🥺...or however the hell they're spelled.

The Jeep looks good though and I dislike white on a Jeep. Still looks sharp!!!
Thanks. I'm not worried about the tires at all, as a matter of fact, I love em. Ive had them for a year so far and they still ride smooth and just as quiet as the day I put them on.

I know there are a couple very outspoken haters on here who detest these tires but I haven't had a single problem with them and would highly recommend them.

All good posts.

want to spend money and do some work? Lift 4” and run 33’s or go bigger.

want to enjoy more clearance and go up to 31s or so , not mess up the ride, drive and handling to the point you have to do corrective work....do 2.5 “ or @JMT s high line.

less lift has become a solid trend here.