Je.m8792

Hi all, first time poster long time reader. As the title states I'm playing with the thought of going from a 4" lift to 3" suspension lift.
Picked up a 2000 wrangler sport that has a bare bones 4" RC lift with a 1" t-case drop. Currently running 285/75 16s with 1.5" spacers and stock steering with fox damper.
The jeep is my dd and will mostly be road driven besides the weekend mountain driving and some gravel/dirt roads.
Wondering what all is involved and if I can tackle the majority of the work myself? I want to do it right if I do this.

Welcome to the forum! I grew up not all that far from Sevierville (near Kingsport, but on the VA side).

While I don't blame you for working to get rid of the RC lift, what are you trying to to accomplish by going to a 3"? Are you just going to a better brand lift and don't need 4" for your needs or is there something else?

Hi all, first time poster long time reader. As the title states I'm playing with the thought of going from a 4" lift to 3" suspension lift.
Picked up a 2000 wrangler sport that has a bare bones 4" RC lift with a 1" t-case drop. Currently running 285/75 16s with 1.5" spacers and stock steering with fox damper.
The jeep is my dd and will mostly be road driven besides the weekend mountain driving and some gravel/dirt roads.
Wondering what all is involved and if I can tackle the majority of the work myself? I want to do it right if I do this.

It’s just like adding a 3” lift. You remove the springs, put the shorter springs in, change the shocks, adjust the trackbars and control arms, get smaller tires, et al. Hard to say exactly without seeing exactly how it is built now.

Reactions: TJTom and D M
Maybe he's height challenged and tired of bringing a stool to get into his Jeep. I find that a TJ lifted to suit us average guys is far to tall for a lot of people. (Work with me here, I'm trying to be PC).

Are you saying @Kiwi TJ is a hobbit? ;) I'm only 5' 9" and have zero problems getting into my lifted Jeep on 35s. I don't need to hold on to grab handles or steering wheel either. Put leg in, push off with other leg. Done.
p.s. That doesn't work for my 5' 3" "round" wife. She uses the grab handles to pull herself in.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Rut Row
Maybe he's height challenged and tired of bringing a stool to get into his Jeep. I find that a TJ lifted to suit us average guys is far to tall for a lot of people. (Work with me here, I'm trying to be PC).

I'm a short fuck & that was a huge factor in lowering my TJ, and I ain't done lowering it yet!

Reactions: Rut Row
I'm a short fuck & that was a huge factor in lowering my TJ, and I ain't done lowering it yet!

Tom Cruise or Peter Dinklage short?
1706272932193.png

1706273113836.png

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: GPK03X
Welcome to the forum! I grew up not all that far from Sevierville (near Kingsport, but on the VA side).

While I don't blame you for working to get rid of the RC lift, what are you trying to to accomplish by going to a 3"? Are you just going to a better brand lift and don't need 4" for your needs or is there something else?
Thanks for the response, have family in Penington Gap area and Bristol VA.

I have no need for the 4" lift and want to make it better getting in and out for the family and still want a beefy look to it. 3" lift will be plenty for what I'll be doing. Of course I want a better ride quality, but hoping with a 3" lift I can achieve that without a sye and aca's. I want to ditch the wheel spacers and go to 15" wheels. I wouldnt want anything bigger than 33x10.5 tires either. Would like to avoid a body lift also. Looking at replacing/refreshing any bushings, linkages, ujoints, bearings, etc while doing this. Would like the lift to be under $2k if possible. Not sure what shocks/springs to go with. I want somthing that will handle the bumpy pot hole roads of East TN. And not sure about the bump stops.
Am I delusional with my expectations? Lol.

Reactions: bbaldwin237
It’s just like adding a 3” lift. You remove the springs, put the shorter springs in, change the shocks, adjust the trackbars and control arms, get smaller tires, et al. Hard to say exactly without seeing exactly how it is built now.

I'll post some pics later, thanks

I'll post some pics later

This here is my main factor, having a back surgery a little over a year ago makes this more practical in my mind.

I share height parity with Maverick at 5'7" and shrinking, perhaps if I'm still around in 30 years I'll be closer to Dinklage, I already share his other muppetesque qualities

Of course I want a better ride quality, but hoping with a 3" lift I can achieve that without a sye and aca's.

you're in the zone there where an SYE may be necessary. You may be able to avoid it with a TC skid drop & some other tweaks. Keep in mind you wouldn't need the adjustable arms all the way around, in a pinch you can get away with rear uppers, I've been running that scam successfully for years

• Haha
Reactions: TheBoogieman
I share height parity with Maverick at 5'7" and shrinking, perhaps if I'm still around in 30 years I'll be closer to Dinklage, I already share his other muppetesque qualities

you're in the zone there where an SYE may be necessary. You may be able to avoid it with a TC skid drop & some other tweaks. Keep in mind you wouldn't need the adjustable arms all the way around, in a pinch you can get away with rear uppers, I've been running that scam successfully for years

Are you saying @Kiwi TJ is a hobbit? ;) I'm only 5' 9" and have zero problems getting into my lifted Jeep on 35s. I don't need to hold on to grab handles or steering wheel either. Put leg in, push off with other leg. Done.
p.s. That doesn't work for my 5' 3" "round" wife. She uses the grab handles to pull herself in.

I'm same height but after having my l4-l5 bolted together and a prosthetic disc in there it makes it a little challenging. I can do it tho.

I'll post some pics later

This here is my main factor, having a back surgery a little over a year ago makes this more practical in my mind.

I don’t think you’ll meet your family friendly goal just dropping from 4” to 3” lift, even if you drop tire size from 33 to 32. A 1” lift and 31’s would be more appropriate.

Thanks for the response, have family in Penington Gap area and Bristol VA.

I have no need for the 4" lift and want to make it better getting in and out for the family and still want a beefy look to it. 3" lift will be plenty for what I'll be doing. Of course I want a better ride quality, but hoping with a 3" lift I can achieve that without a sye and aca's. I want to ditch the wheel spacers and go to 15" wheels. I wouldnt want anything bigger than 33x10.5 tires either. Would like to avoid a body lift also. Looking at replacing/refreshing any bushings, linkages, ujoints, bearings, etc while doing this. Would like the lift to be under $2k if possible. Not sure what shocks/springs to go with. I want somthing that will handle the bumpy pot hole roads of East TN. And not sure about the bump stops.
Am I delusional with my expectations? Lol.

As @Westtown Willy mentioned, you'll probably still need a TC drop or SYE at 3". I currently have a 3" lift with a 1" TC drop and 33x10.5s. the drop is necessary on mine, though some have slightly different results. 3" is typically where the vibes will start to come along.

You could probably stick with your 4" springs, upgrade bushings and shocks, and maybe do an SYE and stay under/around your $2k? If you are sticking with 33's, I don't know that dropping an inch will make that much visible difference, and you're only gaining 1/2" of drop for entry. You may not even gain anything since some springs measure over or under their advertised lift. So if your RC springs have sagged or measure short and your new 3" springs measured tall, you might not gain anything??

Reactions: Paparock1
As @Westtown Willy mentioned, you'll probably still need a TC drop or SYE at 3". I currently have a 3" lift with a 1" TC drop and 33x10.5s. the drop is necessary on mine, though some have slightly different results. 3" is typically where the vibes will start to come along.

You could probably stick with your 4" springs, upgrade bushings and shocks, and maybe do an SYE and stay under/around your $2k? If you are sticking with 33's, I don't know that dropping an inch will make that much visible difference, and you're only gaining 1/2" of drop for entry. You may not even gain anything since some springs measure over or under their advertised lift. So if your RC springs have sagged or measure short and your new 3" springs measured tall, you might not gain anything??
Thanks, this is the kind of info I'm looking for.

Reactions: bbaldwin237
Just reading through the thread.

You understand the Cost and Labor involved isn't really worth anything going from a 4" lift to a 3" lift, correct?
I say this NOT in a demeaning way.

The requirements of the Jeep to operate/drive well are pretty much the same between 3" and 4".
(SYE, Adjustable arms, etc)

To add onto that, you'd be spending X amount of money and labor, for a literal inch. Probably the thickness of the sole of your shoe.
Which will make no discernable difference to ride quality, nor do I think you'd ever notice it in terms of comfort or getting in-out.

I just see it as a waste of money and effort to drop from a 4" down to a 3", given the common ground of both options.

I think what suits you AND your wallet better is dropping down to a 1"-2" lift height, and a more aggressive 31" wheel/tire combo.