Do many people here have automatic transmissions?

Agreed. Several of the manual proponents are compensating for poor axle gearing (and insufficient braking). Additionally, from an off-road performance aspect, many are not in a place where the added control and finesse of the automatic provides a meaningful advantage in technical driving. All of which is not really worth arguing much over. This isn't any different than building for good shocks and getting the tuning done. Those who understand get it. I know why am going through the fairly significant effort of the transmission swap along with the supporting modifications. While I enjoy the manual, I will not miss it.

Brakes are going to be the next upgrade I make, I'm sure. Mine are OK...not great, with BMB pads and the manual. From others experience after a swap, they won't be good enough with the Auto.

Reactions: jjvw and rasband
Brakes are going to be the next upgrade I make, I'm sure. Mine are OK...not great, with BMB pads and the manual. From others experience after a swap, they won't be good enough with the Auto.

That brings to mind my little experience the other night in the shop- I had the Rubicon in four Lo and the front wheels on dollies- Testing the shift cable- I nearly ran through 2
Ktm dirt bikes in and out the back of my little shop.

I had always heard front brakes did most of the work but I truly had no idea.

Last edited:
I Have plenty of automatic vehicles I sold my 2000 Jeep wrangler TJ sport automatic with just under 200,000 miles. After that many miles it felt I like I was just sitting and steering. I purposely looked for a manual 2006 Jeep Lj Rubicon 6 speed and enjoy the fact that you have to be engaged and drive this thing not a lazy drivers Jeep. Especially when off road nothing is a given everything is in play and understanding your Jeep and your limitations too. You could say the same for autos, less shifting and all the other considerations when driving on and off road. Auto are easier on and off road. Better comes down to driver, manuals are much more fun, even easy trails are challenging.

57572FD7-A524-4B88-A370-0466B865CAB6.jpeg

6886FD04-6B54-444E-B776-C8CEC82B5978.jpeg

217DB13F-3021-4596-A711-03589427B518.jpeg

I Have plenty of automatic vehicles I sold my 2000 Jeep wrangler TJ sport automatic with just under 200,000 miles. After that many miles it felt I like I was just sitting and steering. I purposely looked for a manual 2006 Jeep Lj Rubicon 6 speed and enjoy the fact that you have to be engaged and drive this thing not a lazy drivers Jeep. Especially when off road nothing is a given everything is in play and understanding your Jeep and your limitations too. You could say the same for autos, less shifting and all the other considerations when driving on and off road. Auto are easier on and off road. Better comes down to driver, manuals are much more fun, even easy trails are challenging.

View attachment 393533

View attachment 393534

View attachment 393532

... what interesting radio gear do we have peaking behind the steering wheel in the second pic?

That transmission coupled to the 4.0 is proof that power plants and transmissions can be designed in such a way they truly complement each other- The 32RH makes the 4.0 the engine it should be-

Couldn’t agree more. My TJ has been my DD for three years now and i don’t mind it a bit. I still look forward to driving it.

Reactions: AndyG
My latest is a 32rh. I haven't driven it yet as it needs a motor swap and transmission rebuild. My Sahara is a 5 speed. I strongly prefer the manual but then I don't do rock crawling, the most I ever do off road is an easy trail/fire road kind of thing. I understand the attraction to the auto for it's crawl capabilities.

The 5 speeds (AX15/NV3550) seem to be very bulletproof transmissions. That being said, the 32rh is basically a chrysler 904 which is the lighter duty 727 torqueflite which is in my Cuda. You couldn't really ask for a stronger, more intelligently and simply designed transmission.

Reactions: Moglocker and CMBD
The answer is simple. Technology has improved greatly over the years along with much more. You cannot even buy a new Corvette with a manual trans.

Are we comparing a 32RH to a Corvette dual clutch now? LOL
This thread cracks me up. Full of people working hard to rationalize their own personal preferences plus a lil obligatory ego flexing that seems consistent here

TLDR: If you are running KoH, you probably should go with a built auto tranny. Otherwise, use what you prefer

Does that have an RCA jack on the back? I’m looking for something to plug-in a back up camera to

Do you want to stay with a factory stereo andy? My trucks pioneer touch screen and many others work with backup cameras. Put in in reverse and the camera automatically pops up on the screen

I was fortunate to have owned a 82 Scrambler that was switched from a manual to a automatic. That was the only jeep I owned that I was able to travel the Rubicon trail with. Though I didn't get to use the manual transmission on that trail, I think the automatic worked great. Now I have a 05 TJR with the 6 speed and really enjoy driving it on and off road. The 4 to 1 transfer case is pretty low for the wheeling I do here in South East Arizona, but with the manual transmission I can use 3rd and 4th pretty easily.