Do many people here have automatic transmissions?

B1Toad

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Do many here have automatics? I noticed some automatics for sale, they seem to be priced cheaper than the manuals and do not sell as fast. I really would prefer a manual but curious how popular the automatics are and how do they hold up?

Many of us here are automatic transmission aficionados because they are far better on trails that are far more difficult than many people ever take their Jeeps on. Not because you don't have to worry about shifting, because they provide both an infinitely low 1st gear ratio as well as 2-3X greater low-end torque (true) which really helps when getting up and over big obstacles.

I actually converted my first TJ from its OE 5-speed manual transmission to an automatic close to 20 years ago. That was after a very tough rock crawling trip where I discovered I was the only guy in a big group of rock crawlers running a manual transmission and it wasn't long on that trail before I discovered why. When that TJ was stolen I made sure my replacement was an automatic.

I have had manual jeeps since I was 16.

EDB43F63-86C1-4DF3-A787-46E0D86970D8.jpeg
I’ve had 5 tjs - 4 have been automatics including my current build.

My 03 manual Rubi will be sold as soon as i find a nice auto LJR.

When I was looking a few years ago it was the opposite in my market. The Manuals were cheaper which is part of the reason I ended up with one. It's fun on the road and cruising but there are times on trails, like others mentioned, I wish I had an auto.

My current situation works well for most of the places I run.

I’ve owned several manual vehicles over the years, from VW bugs to Porsche 911’s and nearly everything in between.
These days I save the shifting for when I’m on the Harley; both of our Jeeps have automatic transmissions… wouldn’t have it any other way.

I like my manual...When an automatic dies it's expensive, and I have killed almost every auto tranny I have ever had. My TJ's manual could be a problem here in Sarasota come sale time. The better money comes from young girls with rich daddys, and the precious little gem is not going to practice on my transmission before she buys it.

• Haha
Reactions: DavidBT and RINC
In the DFW market manuals are probably at least 5:1 to automatics, and they seem to command a premium on price. That said, I enjoy driving my manual TJ more than my auto, and wheeling is better in the auto 98% of the time, going down a steep incline with a properly geared stick shift is nowhere near the white knuckle ride it is in my automatic. Almost to the point where the 2% out weighs the other 98%.

Anyone know the weight difference with auto vs manual, and is the transfer case different on the auto?

I've been driving manuals since before legal driving age.
My TJ has a 5 speed manual, 5 to1 Atlas, 60-44, 4.88's on 35's.
It's slow and cool. And when bumping against rocks at an idle, it just climbs without effort.
No need for the 2 feet/foot rubber band driving style that autos have.
The 4 speed Atlas, "backed with a manual", guys know this too.