Do many people here have automatic transmissions?

Do you want to stay with a factory stereo andy? My trucks pioneer touch screen and many others work with backup cameras. Put in in reverse and the camera automatically pops up on the screen

Yes right now I do so I’m looking for something that gives me the option to plug-in like that or a GPS/ I don’t know why I can’t bring myself to go big screen

Yes right now I do so I’m looking for something that gives me the option to plug-in like that or a GPS/ I don’t know why I can’t bring myself to go big screen

When we looked at new stereo for the Jeep we were tempted to go big screen but it just seemed like a huge theft risk in a non secure vehicle

I think this is fairly on topic. I have a 97 sport with the 3 speed auto and I love it. I just wish it would get better gas mileage. I'm running 35s with 4.56 because this is what everyone recommends. It's not sluggish and it wheels great! It just seems to me that because there are only 3 gears, at highway speed (no higher then 60 for me) the engine revs really high. I do my best to keep her under 3000. Is this normal? Do others have this setup or have any input? Thanks!

I think this is fairly on topic. I have a 97 sport with the 3 speed auto and I love it. I just wish it would get better gas mileage. I'm running 35s with 4.56 because this is what everyone recommends. It's not sluggish and it wheels great! It just seems to me that because there are only 3 gears, at highway speed (no higher then 60 for me) the engine revs really high. I do my best to keep her under 3000. Is this normal? Do others have this setup or have any input? Thanks!
I had the same combination, 35's and 32RH, but with 4.88 gears. The rpms were really high at highway cruising speeds but they didn't worry me. I only had 4.88 because I originally had the 5-speed manual transmission in it, I converted it to the 32RH.

Reactions: John Cooper
I had the same combination, 35's and 32RH, but with 4.88 gears. The rpms were really high at highway cruising speeds but they didn't worry me. I only had 4.88 because I originally had the 5-speed manual transmission in it, I converted it to the 32RH.

You know the 32RH transmission is proof that all the complaints about the low power of the 4.0 are not necessarily really the engine- The other transmissions really don’t transfer the power to the ground as efficiently as the 32rh. When you drive a TJ with it it just feels perfect. It’s an old school transmission mated to an old school engine- I think the engineers nailed it.

The first thing I do with the 42 is add a relay so that it turns off the overdrive when I put the vehicle in gear and stays off, unless I hit the switch.

Better mileage might just be that, a wish. These things are a rolling brick, Jeep wrangler and good gas mileage are like oil and water…they don’t go together.

What mileage are you getting?

You know the 32RH transmission is proof that all the complaints about the low power of the 4.0 are not necessarily really the engine- The other transmissions really don’t transfer the power to the ground as efficiently as the 32rh. When you drive a TJ with it it just feels perfect. It’s an old school transmission mated to an old school engine- I think the engineers nailed it.

The first thing I do with the 42 is add a relay so that it turns off the overdrive when I put the vehicle in gear and stays off, unless I hit the switch.

You have a write up for the relay?

interested in how this is done.

Reactions: John Cooper

Not sure how it's done, @AndyG did BB before I bought it from him.

Mine is set up that way and I love it!

Still riding on 4.10 gears and 285 75 16 (33"tall) turns 2500=2700 rpms at 60mph.

Accounting for the difference in the odometer I can average 16mpg if I keep it at 60mph.

Around here is mountains and hills so I leave the overdrive off. Once I get to the flat land I speed up to 70 and let it run in overdrive, but 90 percent of the time I run it like a 3 speed transmission.

Reactions: TheBoogieman
Firmly in the manual camp. My DD is a Chevy Colorado, and I wish I could have gotten a stick in that. Were it up to me, I'd never have an automatic in anything; in any situation I'd rather shift for myself. That said, I have zero interest in ever rock crawling again, so that's not a situation I'd ever be in.

Reactions: Zorba
You have a write up for the relay?

:geek:
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/wiring-the-42rle-overdrive-for-off-by-default.48856/

To make the overdrive switch still function but turn off automatically as you shift into gear (which is about when I think about it.)

Get a common 4 or 5 pin lighting relay, I used Dorman part #88069 but a 4 pin works if it operates the same..there are different kinds.

1. Find the green/white back up wire at the drivers side rocker panel...run that to pin 86

2. Tap the overdrive swiitch green wire to pin 30

3. Tap the overdrive switch blue wire to 87 (this may be orange on some models)

4 . Run 85 to ground

87a is not used.

The reverse light switch wire pulses the overdrive switch when you pass reverse to drive , just like pushing the button does.

It stays off until you turn off the ignition or manually overide it for higher speed driving. In effect, the green/white reverse wire power now does for you what your finger did, all else remains the same.

Thanks to @Jamison C for advising me, tune in tomorrow as we explain how the pyramids were built.

Hope you auto guys like this as much as I do.

Andy G

Last edited:
:geek:
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/wiring-the-42rle-overdrive-for-off-by-default.48856/

To make the overdrive switch still function but turn off automatically as you shift into gear (which is about when I think about it.)

Get a common 4 or 5 pin lighting relay, I used Dorman part #88069 but a 4 pin works if it operates the same..there are different kinds.

1. Find the green/white back up wire at the drivers side rocker panel...run that to pin 86

2. Tap the overdrive swiitch green wire to pin 30

3. Tap the overdrive switch blue wire to 87 (this may be orange on some models)

4 . Run 85 to ground

87a is not used.

The reverse light switch wire pulses the overdrive switch when you pass reverse to drive , just like pushing the button does.

It stays off until you turn off the ignition or manually overide it for higher speed driving. In effect, the green/white reverse wire power now does for you what your finger did, all else remains the same.

Thanks to @Jamison C for advising me, tune in tomorrow as we explain how the pyramids were built.

Hope you auto guys like this as much as I do.

Andy G

I live at high altitude driving regularly in the mountains and haven't found a reason to do this yet. FWIW.