Do you guys still use CB radios?

JeepDew

I searched on here and no mention of CB's... do you guys still use them out on the trails.

I remember getting mine rigged up to get farther distances.

If you still use them...what are you using.

Thanks
JeepDew

Just about every time we have a trail run with more than one rig. Father inlaw gave me his old school Cobra unit, so I've been running that with a 3' Firestick. Just got a Uniden hand held for Xmas as a back up.

Sometimes I'll tune in to the truck channels when I'm on the interstate. You can get good real time traffic updates.

Reactions: MikeM
It's illegal to raise the output power above 4 watts. And even a doubling of transmit power is barely (!) perceptible at the other end. And technically speaking, that's literally the truth. A 3 dB (decibel) change is about the minimum change in level the human ear can detect and it takes a doubling of power to produce a 3 dB change in power. And if you barely reached the other person with an illegal amount of extra power, how will he be able to get back to you if the guy at the other end is only running the legal amount? I've kept my CB at the legal 4 watts since the late sixties when I built (yes, built) my first CB because I understand the reason for that power limit. CB channels are very narrow and spaced closely together. The more power the CB transmits with, the wider its signal and the more apt it will bleed over into adjacent channels. I've had some YAHOOs running way too much power that would wipe out 4-6 channels. I guess I can use the word 'assholes' here for those yahoos. For that reason I'm a strong believer in staying with legal power for CBs. The sky's the limit for ham radios which don't rely on narrow channels like CBs do. My ham radio in my Jeep puts out 75 watts, my ham radio at home puts out 200 watts. So I'm not against more power, I'm just against more power when it's harmful to others trying to legally communicate... like on the CB band.

And yes, CBs are still the way to go for offroading. 99.9999% of offroad events use CBs, only a very small number of people use ham radios but most of them also have CBs so they can stay in touch with those who only have CBs. I have both ham and CB radios in my Jeep and the CB gets used 100 times for every time I use the ham radio. It's rare that I even turn the ham radio on. So yes, definitely go with a CB first. Once you get that working and the antenna tuned, you'll be good to go for joining in on the various 4x4 group runs. :)

I also use my Uniden PRO520XL with a 2' Firestik II antenna, just like @CodaMan. That's actually a pretty popular setup. Of course I really only use it on the trails, but it works nicely. They're cheap enough too that you don't really have anything to lose.

Same set up, but I am using a 4' firefly on a spring and on a tail light mount.

Reactions: Chris
It's illegal to raise the output power above 4 watts. And even a doubling of transmit power is barely (!) perceptible at the other end. And technically speaking, that's literally the truth. A 3 dB (decibel) change is about the minimum change in level the human ear can detect and it takes a doubling of power to produce a 3 dB change in power. And if you barely reached the other person with an illegal amount of extra power, how will he be able to get back to you if the guy at the other end is only running the legal amount? I've kept my CB at the legal 4 watts since the late sixties when I built (yes, built) my first CB because I understand the reason for that power limit. CB channels are very narrow and spaced closely together. The more power the CB transmits with, the wider its signal and the more apt it will bleed over into adjacent channels. I've had some YAHOOs running way too much power that would wipe out 4-6 channels. I guess I can use the word 'assholes' here for those yahoos. For that reason I'm a strong believer in staying with legal power for CBs. The sky's the limit for ham radios which don't rely on narrow channels like CBs do. My ham radio in my Jeep puts out 75 watts, my ham radio at home puts out 200 watts. So I'm not against more power, I'm just against more power when it's harmful to others trying to legally communicate... like on the CB band.

And yes, CBs are still the way to go for offroading. 99.9999% of offroad events use CBs, only a very small number of people use ham radios but most of them also have CBs so they can stay in touch with those who only have CBs. I have both ham and CB radios in my Jeep and the CB gets used 100 times for every time I use the ham radio. It's rare that I even turn the ham radio on. So yes, definitely go with a CB first. Once you get that working and the antenna tuned, you'll be good to go for joining in on the various 4x4 group runs. :)

I remember when I was a lot younger and living in an apartment, I got yelled at for having a CB antenna mounted on the outside wall. So we took it down, and built a horizontal homemade inside direction pole. It of course didn't get out as far, but we lived by a freeway and it was still fun, But CB's were more prevalent back then.

... I am using a 4' firefly on a spring and on a tail light mount.
How do you stand all the whipping around the combination would allow when on a rocky trail? Yowsa. :)
I remember when I was a lot younger and living in an apartment, I got yelled at for having a CB antenna mounted on the outside wall. So we took it down, and built a horizontal homemade inside direction pole. It of course didn't get out as far, but we lived by a freeway and it was still fun, But CB's were more prevalent back then.
Ha I kinda did the same thing when I was in my Air Force radio tech school in '66-67. I built a small FM transmitter and connected it via an antenna tuner to my bunk frame to use it as an antenna and broadcast rock & roll all over my part of the base lol. Guys in my barracks thought it was cool lol.

How do you stand all the whipping around the combination would allow when on a rocky trail? Yowsa. :)

I normally wouldn't use a spring, but I park in a parking garage at work and I swing it forward and tuck it into the upper flap of my top and that works perfectly. I also have a velcro roll bar hanger from a JK that I use to put the antenna in if I don't have my top on. As far as it is moving around I don't even notice it because it is just above the tail light on the driver side, so I don't even see it, and the whole jeep is so noisy that I can't hear it if it does contact my top.

So far it hasn't really been a problem. It is light weight so I don't think it really overcomes the spring.

IMG-0036.JPG

jeepjack.jpg

Last edited:
I use a Uniden PRO520XL with a 2' Firestik II antenna. Mostley channel 4 offroad and 19 all other times.

There's not a lot of CB radio use anymore so it took me days to actually complete a radio test.
I also use my Uniden PRO520XL with a 2' Firestik II antenna, just like @CodaMan. That's actually a pretty popular setup. Of course I really only use it on the trails, but it works nicely. They're cheap enough too that you don't really have anything to lose.
Yup, same setup as the two, but with a 3' firestik. Shoulda gone 2'. We have logging operations around here, so it's kind of a must during the week.

Reactions: MikeM and Chris
Glad you asked JeepDew - my old 23 channel has been laying around for years and i pulled it out a month ago and debated whether I wanted to mount it and get a new antenna. I do see guys in groups using them on the trails though I tend to run alone--it would be nice to be able to call out to them if I break something.

The real question is though- deep in the mountain ravines what range will one have? Often line of sight is at best 1000' though at times you can see for miles and no one is in sight.

I hear you Jerry - that is why I have my jeep full of hiking gear complete with tent, food, cold weather sleeping bag, water, water filters, clothes, etc good to 20 degrees F and only go in the summer and on main trails that will have at least 20 rigs pass through per day. I have cross country backpacked much of the area i ride in so know the area well.

I live 1200 miles from where I run so have no one to run with (but I do have at least one rider/spotter).

Maybe we need a few group rides set up on this site- SW CO, Moab, etc.

I searched on here and no mention of CB's... do you guys still use them out on the trails.
..Not sure that I have even used one this century.
Didn't even bother to install one in the CJ-7. still have a couple on the shelf in the basement (I think) (one was even tweaked and peaked for full legal power output, stock output was under 3 watts).... might consider putting one in the Rubi; if I start doing more group runs.

Enjoy!