Do you guys still use CB radios?

I have an Amateur radio license and keep a Yaesu VX-8DR in my vehicle (and a handheld Uniden Bearcat scanner). Thought about installing a CB radio with a whip antenna, too many other projects going on right now though!

I run this Cobra in my Jeep, works great. Don't have to worry about where you have to mount the radio, it's all in the Mic. Then I mounted an external speaker up on the roll bar behind my head between the passenger and driver. Can hear a lot better when the top is off. You don't have to install an external speaker with this radio, I just did.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00005N5WW/?tag=wranglerorg-20

This is where I mounted mine. You can order that bracket to mount it to. I didn't want to drill a hole in my dash anywhere to mount the mic.
CIMG6665.JPG

I run this Cobra in my Jeep, works great. Don't have to worry about where you have to mount the radio, it's all in the Mic. Then I mounted an external speaker up on the roll bar behind my head between the passenger and driver. Can hear a lot better when the top is off. You don't have to install an external speaker with this radio, I just did.
No but an external speaker is highly recommended for that particular model Cobra CB. The speaker inside its mic is only 3/4" so it's not able to put out enough volume to be clearly heard in a Jeep that is open or extra noisy in any way.

I run a Yaesu 2m/440 unit and a FT-60 HT on FRS to hit to others running CBs.

KF6QDE

I have a Kenwood 281A in mine but am looking to get a "walkie talkie" CB just have in the Jeep for trails. Yes, I know it is short range but I don't think I need much.

People seem to like the Midland models. Any comments or thoughts appreciated. Or, just do a @Jerry Bransford and put a Uniden 520 in it, too.

Reactions: 801 Driver
I have a Kenwood 281A in mine but am looking to get a "walkie talkie" CB just have in the Jeep for trails. Yes, I know it is short range but I don't think I need much.

People seem to like the Midland models. Any comments or thoughts appreciated. Or, just do a @Jerry Bransford and put a Uniden 520 in it, too.
Are you talking just use a walkie talkie CB instead mounting a CB in your Jeep? If so, I would go with a CB mounted in your Jeep. They're not that expensive and work better then having a hand held CB in side your Jeep. I tried using my walkie talkie from the inside and it didn't work well at all. Had to get outside the Jeep in order for it to work well. They do make them where you can hook your walkie talkie to an antenna that is mounted to the outside of your Jeep.....but why not just get a CB mounted inside....mount the antenna to the outside use an SWR meter to match the antenna and CB together and you are good to go for good communications on your CB!

Reactions: TomT509
I had a handheld CB for a while and at least to me, it quickly became apparent it wasn't needed, useful, or worth carrying. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: TomT509
Are you talking just use a walkie talkie CB instead mounting a CB in your Jeep? If so, I would go with a CB mounted in your Jeep. They're not that expensive and work better then having a hand held CB in side your Jeep. I tried using my walkie talkie from the inside and it didn't work well at all.\

Right, a handheld instead of mounting. Both you and the ever-helpful-and-knowledgable @Jerry Bransford gave me the direction to go.

My wife/XYL (for you other hams) gave me an Arizona Rocky Road mount so I will have the room. So, Uniden 520 it is. I will figure out if I want another permanent mount over the left taillight or, for the rare times I use it, just use a mag mount.

Mine is a hand held Midland, I ran the antenna wire to the center console and there is power there also. Did the SWR for that set up and Velcro to hold the handheld in place while driving. What I like is being to with one release button free the radio up and add a battery pack to it for walking around in the woods or spotting/winching someone. Works for me just fine! Iam also working on the armature radio license test for the future.

Reactions: Ephry73 and TomT509
Most around here are going to UHF/VHF Radios. The Baofeng UV-5R is what my group is using. we program all the FRS/GMRS Channels for our use. Monitor the Ham repeaters / Search and Rescue / RR logging ch / LAPP chs and all the local Radio channels. Also the Marine and coast guard, which came in handing during our Tsunami warning earlier this week. THe coast guard was transmitting more information and quicker then the local Radio station.
Some have installed them with external mag mount antennas and hand held Mics. You can also get vehicle mounted ones with greater power as well.

Reactions: Ephry73 and MikeM
Most around here are going to UHF/VHF Radios. The Baofeng UV-5R is what my group is using. we program all the FRS/GMRS Channels for our use. Monitor the Ham repeaters / Search and Rescue / RR logging ch / LAPP chs and all the local Radio channels. Also the Marine and coast guard, which came in handing during our Tsunami warning earlier this week. THe coast guard was transmitting more information and quicker then the local Radio station.
Some have installed them with external mag mount antennas and hand held Mics. You can also get vehicle mounted ones with greater power as well.

You just have to get the license to be legal and I am studying for the test!