Do you use your CB radio often?

Depends on what you are trying to do... communicate with random people? Sure CB... communicate with 1 or 2 other vehicles in convoy? Cell works better.
I still don't see it, Cell is point to point, CB et al are broadcast. Never mind that there are still PLENTY of cell dead spots, even on highways.

Reactions: Blondie70
I have both a CB and a GMRS radio mounted in my cab and keep them both turned off and the mics locked away, but once I'm on a wheeling trip they come out and I use whatever the trip is using ... mostly GMRS now.

Reactions: Zorba
I have 2m ham and CB in my jeep. I have a dual band ham, CB, and GMRS in my tow rig.

I find ham to be the most useful on the highway and in the city. I also find it to be a more effective communications tool offroad than any of the other legal and pseudo legal communications platforms (see my comments about Rugged Radios below).

I don't hear much highway traffic on CB any more (except the high powered "skip monkeys"), but I use it on nearly every jeep run because CB is still the most common offroad communications platform (despite Midland's marketing push toward GMRS) and is required by many organized offroad events including all events organized/sanctioned by the California Four Wheel Drive Association . I do not see that situation changing anytime soon because so many people already have CB's, CB is inexpensive, and no license is required

I have yet to find anyone to talk to on GMRS channels on the highway, but there have been a few occasions when someone with GMRS would show up to a run and not be able to communicate with the rest of us who had ham or CB which required me to use my Baofeng handheld for that purpose Since I acquired my tow rig with GMRS, I have heard no traffic at all although I realize that some groups are now using GMRS . In my opinion, it is not yet universal enough to be useful for general communications. Maybe in 5+ years.

As far as Rugged Radios or "race radios" are concerned, they are units operating on the business frequencies supposedly under the auspices of an "umbrella" license granted to Rugged. This practice if of questionable legality, and just because Rugged Radios says it is okay doesn't make it so, all it means is that the FCC has not taken any action against the company or its customers. Frankly, I have never understood the allure of "race radios" because you can only talk to others using that frequency -typically only your own small group- which makes them next to useless for general communications n larger events and for emergency transmission purposes. Why not just pay the $15 for the ham test, spend a couple of hours studying, and be able to use VHF and UHF bands with accessibility to the world?

My two cents.

BTW -

Last year I did a month long overlanding trip in Mexico using ham for group communications. It worked perfectly even when we were separated by many miles and we were able to speak with others as we traveled for local road conditions, locations of military checkpoints, etc. There was substantial CB traffic, but it was primarily cab drivers, delivery vehicles and sometimes the police in small towns.

Two months ago we did a two week overlanding trip in NorCal, also using ham. Communications were reliable and we were able to make contact with locals who advised us of current fire conditions, closures, etc. which allowed us to alter our route as necessary without having to go out to the highway to get information. I heard some CB traffic, but not much.

CB, GMRS and race/business band radios would not have worked for us in those situations.

Out here in TX, we use it all the time. 1/2 the time it's better than the maps. and if you go west too much (I'm in Dallas) you hit massive dead zones where your maps simply don't work. I wouldn't say I use it every time I get in the Jeep. but I'm seriously considering putting one in my other vehicles. I got mine for less than $100. WEEEELLL worth it for the price.

edit: I am looking into getting a HAM license for next year cause I have some buddies that use it. It's more confusing. bust seems like it will be more useful if you know who you want to talk to. the benefit of CB is there is almost always someone to talk to, and you really don't have to know what your doing.

Last edited:
I've used a pair of 2-way handheld FRS radios more than my CB. Not sure I'll even install it on my next Jeep.

But I haven't done any local organized rides, so maybe it would be different.

I know this is over a month old but I would like to add a few details. GMRS is easy to get, (now it) last 10 years and NO TEST! You do have to get a FRN first (even for amateur license you need a FRN). Here is the link to the application. Get your FRN squared away first.

https://www.fcc.gov/bureau-division...eneral-mobile-radio-service-gmrs/fcc-form-605
One nice feature of a GMRS license is it is good for your immediate family.

I control a high level GMRS repeater here in so ca., South Ontario to be specific. I have opened the repeater from a few spots on Gold mountain in big bear, so it is a performer. LOS is the key of course. Anyone on this forum in so cal that would like access, PM me and I'll give you the freqs and tone. You do need a license to use it, so go get one LOL. I may or may not ask you for your call sign, but best to be authorized.

The repeater is designed for post event operation. It is hooked to a 100ah AGM batt and can run for about 40hrs (tx) sans power. The antenna is at 75' unless we have Santa Ana wind conditions. Our last wind was brutal and I brought it down in the peak with no problem, it is designed for 90mph winds with a 200lb load, I am running a single dipole at about 25lbs, so lots of built in buffer.

Reactions: Feralkid and Zorba