Do you guys still use CB radios?

I have a CB radio mounted to my roll bar behind my head with 2 pipe clamps. Its not the easiest to make adjustments or change the channel so I plan on mounting it above my rear view mirror. Pretty much the only time I ever use it is on the trail or Jeep gatherings. I also have my amateur radio license and use a baeofeng UV5R.

It's illegal to raise the output power above 4 watts. And even a doubling of transmit power is barely (!) perceptible at the other end. And technically speaking, that's literally the truth. A 3 dB (decibel) change is about the minimum change in level the human ear can detect and it takes a doubling of power to produce a 3 dB change in power. And if you barely reached the other person with an illegal amount of extra power, how will he be able to get back to you if the guy at the other end is only running the legal amount? I've kept my CB at the legal 4 watts since the late sixties when I built (yes, built) my first CB because I understand the reason for that power limit. CB channels are very narrow and spaced closely together. The more power the CB transmits with, the wider its signal and the more apt it will bleed over into adjacent channels. I've had some YAHOOs running way too much power that would wipe out 4-6 channels. I guess I can use the word 'assholes' here for those yahoos. For that reason I'm a strong believer in staying with legal power for CBs. The sky's the limit for ham radios which don't rely on narrow channels like CBs do. My ham radio in my Jeep puts out 75 watts, my ham radio at home puts out 200 watts. So I'm not against more power, I'm just against more power when it's harmful to others trying to legally communicate... like on the CB band.

And yes, CBs are still the way to go for offroading. 99.9999% of offroad events use CBs, only a very small number of people use ham radios but most of them also have CBs so they can stay in touch with those who only have CBs. I have both ham and CB radios in my Jeep and the CB gets used 100 times for every time I use the ham radio. It's rare that I even turn the ham radio on. So yes, definitely go with a CB first. Once you get that working and the antenna tuned, you'll be good to go for joining in on the various 4x4 group runs. :)

I bought a ham radio set up at an auction, do you have to register them, as an address when you put them into a moving vehicle, when you get a permit to use them. or do you need a permit to use them?

I bought a ham radio set up at an auction, do you have to register them, as an address when you put them into a moving vehicle, when you get a permit to use them. or do you need a permit to use them?

As a licensed ham operator, I can tell you that all you have to do is take the test to get a license from the FCC and then you’re good to go. You don’t have to register your equipment at all weather it’s in your home or a moving vehicle.

KE0NKG

As a licensed ham operator, I can tell you that all you have to do is take the test to get a license from the FCC and then you’re good to go. You don’t have to register your equipment at all weather it’s in your home or a moving vehicle.

KE0NKG

okay, i went to a ham event last year, an they were talkin you have to have an address for the license, so wasnt sure, if that applied to a moving vehicle. Thanks summit racing owner or someone in theres got a corner store in the building, they were going on some kind of tour in there. an i got knocked out over their in the back bowls of breckinridge..one time....snowboarding...:)

Last edited:
okay, i went to a ham event last year, an they were talkin you have to have an address for the license, so wasnt sure, if that applied to a moving vehicle. Thanks summit racing owner or someone in theres got a corner store in the building, they were going on some kind of tour in there. an i got knocked out over their in the back bowls of breckinridge..one time....snowboarding...:)
It doesn't matter where you transmit from, as long as you are using bands that your amateur license class allows.

It doesn't matter where you transmit from, as long as you are using bands that your amateur license class allows.

can a truck driver with no permanent address get a license with no permenant address? does the application require an address an can you use a pobox with it? for some reason the way they expained it to me was, it was like a permanent address permit?

okay, thanks
they said its about 300 worth of equipment i think i got for around 25?
img022.jpg

One must be issued a license by the FCC to transmit on the amateur radio aka ham bands.

It is the operator that is licensed rather than the radio, although radios must comply with FCC "type" requirements in order to be lawfully used by amateur radio operators. What is FCC is licensing is the operation of a radio station over a specific range of frequencies allocated to the amateur radio service.

Please do not transmit with your new radio until you are properly licensed.

Here are some resources:

http://www.arrl.org/what-is-ham-radio

http://www.arrl.org/getting-licensed

http://www.arrl.org/news/florida-ha...sed-radio-transmitter-and-interfering-with-li

It is not particularly difficult to pass the written examination for the entry level Technician license and hams are generally more than willing to offer assistance. There are many online tutorials and practice exams available as well.

73. (That's ham talk for "best regards," see http://www.ac6v.com/73.htm#73)

KG6LMV

Last edited:
can a truck driver with no permanent address get a license with no permenant address? does the application require an address an can you use a pobox with it? for some reason the way they expained it to me was, it was like a permanent address permit?

Yes, you may use a post office box as your registration address for the FCC application. My license shows a post office box. The purpose of the address is for receipt of notice. By providing a particular mailing address you acknowledge that mail sent to that address by the FCC is proper notice to you, not that your equipment will be at that location. The FCC is not really concerned with where your equipment is actually located.

Okay. when you use them, does each have a certain frequency, so like, i get on, turn to somebody i know an their frequency an can reach them?, or is it just like, all get on that same frequency at the same time an can hear each other? can i have my own frequency address an can i hook up a voice mail box to it? thers a pretty big club over here, so when i finish this work on the jeep, that was going to be my next project, an will go visit them.

Is the FCC Radio Operator Permit the license that we are talking about? If so I already have one.

Im not a member of a club or any group really but I most wheel with friends and neighbors, and would like to have a line of communication in the backcountry for emergencies.

https://jeepjamboreeusa.com/cb-replaced-by-frs-gmrs-two-way-radios/

Midland Radio Corporation is the official 2020 communications sponsor of Jeep® Jamboree USA. With the sponsorship comes a transition with CB being replaced by FRS/GMRS two-way radios. This year Jeep® Jamboree participants are still welcome to use their CB radio, but in 2021 all trail communication will be through FRS/GMRS two-way radios.

Enjoyed this thread, and noticed that 99% of the posts were from over two years ago. I see some movement toward GMRS and FRS now. So, back to the OP's question: is everyone still using CB?

Reactions: MikeM
I still use mine in the woods as the loggers use their CB when hauling logs out, but I added GMRS as it is a better platform both in the woods and on the road. With repeaters popping up everywhere the distance then goes up too for example I can talk through a repeater 50 miles away to someone another 50 miles away and the simplex works just as well!