Does anyone not run a rear sway bar?

Yep, my post copied and pasted minus picture from last week.

I would suggest using the rear swaybar. It does not limit rear flex. I run the front disconnected and rear connected. The only thing I noticed with the rear disconnected is pucker factor on off camber trails.

Last edited:
Reactions: MallCrawlOnTons
Broke the bolt trying to tighten it up, so I took off the rear sway. No real difference. Maybe softer ride
Bad decision. Not even championship level coil spring rock crawlers run without f/r antiswaybars. You won't notice the difference until it would have made a difference. Older leaf spring suspensions like YJs and CJs did fine without their antiswaybars but the TJ's coil spring suspension does not.

I actually tried my Jeep TJ with no rear sway bar. Little or no difference off road slightly less directional stability on the freeway
Noticeable directional stability becomes extremely noticeable in an emergency maneuver or if you're on a tight-twisty road you're trying to keep your speed up on.... like a mountain road with cars behinds you.

Offroad, you'd probably be very surprised just how much better behaved the suspension is with f/r antiswaybars when running a coil spring suspension. Winners of events like the ARCA rock crawling and King of the Hammers where extreme-level rock crawling is required running Jeeps with coil spring suspensions run f/r antiswaybars.

Here's John Currie's Fireant TJ just before he finished the ARCA series taking home the overall grand championship. Running front and rear antiswaybars which you can see in the below photos I took while there.

2002_0921_124018AA.JPG
2002_0921_123805AA.JPG
2002_0921_134818AA.JPG

Reactions: Jeffreybomb
Bad decision. Not even championship level coil spring rock crawlers run without f/r antiswaybars. You won't notice the difference until it would have made a difference. Older leaf spring suspensions like YJs and CJs did fine without their antiswaybars but the TJ's coil spring suspension does not.
Only the rear, does not see the highway, 4.88 gears. 3200 rpm at 55mph. in town and local. My previous 2 vehicles both blazers I also removed the rear sway bar with no issues

Only the rear, does not see the highway, 4.88 gears. 3200 rpm at 55mph. in town and local. My previous 2 vehicles both blazers I also removed the rear sway bar with no issues
It's your Jeep, run it how you want to. Oh, and what type of rear suspension was in your two Blazers? Coil spring or leaf spring? I dunno about yours but my Blazer had leaf springs in the rear.

I put mine back on. No advantage (not much anyway) off road and less stable on the freeway seemed like a no-brainer to me. My Jeep is my daily driver and not highly modified.

There is really no accurate way to answer how your rig will do without it. I'd suggest that you try it carefully and see what it is like.
Here is one way to objectively and safely do that. The state of Washington specifies this minimum safe handling test. An empty parking lot, a few cones or waste baskets, and ten minutes of time.
Admittedly its not a very high hurdle but if your Jeep can't pass ya shouldn't be on the road with anyone else.

Washington RCW 204-10-036
Suspension.
A motor vehicle must be capable of stable, controlled operation while traversing a slalom-type path passing alternately to the left and right of at least four cones or markers arranged in a straight line and spaced sixty feet apart at a minimum speed of 25 mph.

As I stated in previous posts in NY if you are in an accident regardless of whose at fault, even if you are stopped at a red light and some fool in a stolen car drunk of his a$$ hits you from behind, and you have removed suspension pieces from your vehicle you get tickets, fines and insurance hikes too. 🤑 Yet 1 more reason everybody hates this state.🤮

I'm not saying you should or shouldn't, but I haven't run one for the last two years on my tj, and I haven't noticed ANY difference in handling on the highway or city streets. I have not tried a comparison off roading. I just don't use it. I do use a front sway bar with quick disconnects.

Doug

As I stated in previous posts in NY if you are in an accident regardless of whose at fault, even if you are stopped at a red light and some fool in a stolen car drunk of his a$$ hits you from behind, and you have removed suspension pieces from your vehicle you get tickets, fines and insurance hikes too. 🤑 Yet 1 more reason everybody hates this state.🤮

Wouldn't the same apply to any suspension modification, even just a lift?

And if your the victim they check your suspension? The cops must know a lot about the 100s of different vehicles
There is always an idiot looking to make a name for himself. But yes, they do indeed check out the "victims" car too. The visible difference between hardware store bolts vs factory suspension bolts..... guy would be blind to miss it.

First thing the tow truck drivers do here in the winter..... photograph the tires.

And a lot of that enforcement is driven by the insurance industry.