Does doors off equal more tickets?

Doors off = more tickets

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bloodlines33

Are you more of a target for cops if you have the doors off vs doors/top on?

I just got pulled over for the first time in the Jeep (had it 4 months) and for expired/uninspected vehicle (New York). I got a ticket, I always do :( I was going the speed limit, driving safely, and had both side view mirrors attached. I'm curious to see if others feel like they get pulled over more frequently if they have the doors off than if they had doors on?

I haven't gotten a ticket in my Jeep yet, but I think it's all about the attention you draw. Doorless/topless seems to draw more attention/looks so anything like an expired inspection sticker is likely to be more apparent to law enforcement. Bright colored or loud vehicles also draw more attention. I have an older 3-series BMW as my daily driver. It is mostly stock, and it looks like your normal white sedan from far away. My buddy has the same car, but his is bright red and loud. He drives slower than I do, and he gets pulled over way more often.

Reactions: MarvinL
I've never received a ticket in my life. Never have doors when it is warm enough. I don't run side mirrors either and my 35's might as well be 54's around the city. I don't think I'd blame your expired tags ticket on your lack of doors.

Agreed. I voted yes because I think a doorless TJ will attract more attention, but I also think if you don't have reason to be pulled over it isn't something you have to worry about.

"Usually" around where I live in Houston the cops will only pull you over for an expired sticker as a way to check for something else like DUI, etc. As of right now they're supposedly not pulling anyone over for expired tags since the courthouses are all closed requiring renewals be done elsewhere. My pickup expired in May and I'm driving it everyday but just waiting on the tag in the mail.

Reactions: Apparition
I was pulled over because of my expired inspection sticker not because of doors off, but it just made me wonder if I'm more of a target due to no doors and asking the community of folks that have been driving TJ's way longer than me.

I know I have nothing to worry about if everything is in order, license, reg, insurance, inspection, or if I'm not doing anything wrong like running a stop sign or speeding (can my '00 TJ do that?) but it's really a time suck. I was pulled over for over 30 minutes which caused me to miss work...the only reason I was driving without current inspection.

Around here, it doesn't seem to be a problem driving without doors. I haven't had doors on since May, never took them off previously, and I have passed many cops with not so much as a second glance. i have small mudflaps, small side mirrors and small fenders which are not to code but do give the impression i am trying to meet the laws. If anything, I would say the cops don't really bother jeeps much as they are kind of a vehicle of the affluent. Now a raisin bodied toyota with no doors, yup, getting a license tabs ticket.

Reactions: reddvltj
Definitely not. I've driven without doors on my TJ more times than I can count, and never once has any cop pulled me over for anything, and I've driven by a lot of them.

Cops don't care if your doors are off. Unless you live in a state where it's illegal, which I think there is only one.

Reactions: John Cooper
I'm certain the guy driving around me the other day had his registration up to date, and he should have been pulled over. He blew buy me on the 70 mph highway like I was stopped.

Since the virus started the police have ticketed a record number of cars driving over 100 mph. And most of those are not on the interstate either where the speed limit is 75.

I'm certain the guy driving around me the other day had his registration up to date, and he should have been pulled over. He blew buy me on the 70 mph highway like I was stopped.

Since the virus started the police have ticketed a record number of cars driving over 100 mph. And most of those are not on the interstate either where the speed limit is 75.

Agreed. I'll admit there are times I'm in my DD doing 80 mph in the center lane, and I'm still being passed like I'm standing still, a lot of times by cars that don't even look like they should be capable of doing 80 mph. :eek:

I have a family member in law enforcement they love looking for expired tags, people can bitch about speeding but if the sticker isn’t there the conversation is much shorter. Turns into a here’s your ticket go argue with the court thing.

Thread segue: People are driving like complete maniacs since this virus hysteria started. I had some AH blowing his horn at me as I made a right turn into Ace Hardware (in the Jeep). I had my signal on and everything, I have no idea what is Major Malfunction was. People driving 60 or more (hard to tell) on a 45 MPH boulevard, that kind of thing.

Confession time... I've driven around for a year not realizing I had expired stickers (I did pay though). Wasn't until the next year that I received the new stickers that I realized my mistake. That was all within a 500 mile radius of here and the cops don't seem to care much. I've heard that cops around here like to pull over for tires sticking out but I've never been.

Reactions: Apparition
Thread segue: People are driving like complete maniacs since this virus hysteria started. I had some AH blowing his horn at me as I made a right turn into Ace Hardware (in the Jeep). I had my signal on and everything, I have no idea what is Major Malfunction was. People driving 60 or more (hard to tell) on a 45 MPH boulevard, that kind of thing.
I think the other half is forgetting how to drive. I’ve seen people park in the middle of the street to figure out where they want to go next.

I was pulled over a cracked windshield. I'll be honest though; it was spidered everywhere. The trooper had pulled up right behind me at a light, followed me for a bit, then pulled me over.

The first (and only) time I got pulled over in my affluent Chicago suburb, the cop approached my Jeep and asked, "Sir, how many weapons are in the vehicle?".

Found it funny that he didn't ask IF any weapons were in the vehicle. Guess my Jeep just gives off that vibe.