Does rear Antirock sway bar need a body lift to be installed?

Is there a question associated with that?
The topic of this thread is, does a tj need a body lift for the rear antilock. I read one answer of, no. my tj is on the lift now, and there’s no way there’s enough room for the bar that goes across. my stock body mounts are worn but i’ll need to lift the body more than stock. has anyone that answered actually installed the rear onto a tj? thanks.

Reactions: bty34
The topic of this thread is, does a tj need a body lift for the rear antilock. I read one answer of, no. my tj is on the lift now, and there’s no way there’s enough room for the bar that goes across. my stock body mounts are worn but i’ll need to lift the body more than stock. has anyone that answered actually installed the rear onto a tj? thanks.

You may just need to drop the tank in order to get the bar in.... mine was a pita even with a BL so I dropped the tank a bit and it fit just fine. For reference I also have a savvy gas tank skid so even though I have a BL the tank is raised from the stock height.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
From the RockJock website:

Notes:

• Body Lift - Ideally, this kit installs easiest on vehicles with a 1 in. body lift. It can be used without a body lift, but some minor pinch weld trimming underneath the back of the body tub is mandatory. Additionally, due to the age of TJ & LJ vehicles, we see a lot of the rubber body pucks have deteriorated with time, making the non-body lift installation that much more difficult – but it is possible.

Have you trimmed like it says in the instructions?

Trying to install this on my 02' I will need a body lift to clear the rear fender on the driver side with the attached bracket and there is a flange on the passenger side that's in my torsion bar path

Hmmm, I didn't know that. Makes me wonder why they removed it. They had a reason for it, I just can't recall. Of course why did that shop do anything the way they did :rolleyes:

Because it’s better, it “aftermarket “

Reactions: Chris

I encountered the same challenge with not having enough clearance above the gas tank to mount the Antirock torsion bar.
Have you considered installing it backwards (torsion bar near middle of vehicle and arms facing rearward)?

Tell me about it :ROFLMAO:

I encountered the same challenge with not having enough clearance above the gas tank to mount the Antirock torsion bar.
Have you considered installing it backwards (torsion bar near middle of vehicle and arms facing rearward)?

This actually was the system I was looking for but couldn't seem to find it as a kit. I'm pretty sure this way will need a body lift also since the tub sits down inside the frame but I'll confirm later. Just disappointed in this kit thinking it would work without opening the body lift can of worms...

Reactions: Chris
This actually was the system I was looking for but couldn't seem to find it as a kit. I'm pretty sure this way will need a body lift also since the tub sits down inside the frame but I'll confirm later. Just disappointed in this kit thinking it would work without opening the body lift can of worms...

I used the original rear AntiRock kit (that I also could not install without a lift).
With the help of @Terry Tiemeyer it was very easy to place the torsion bar across the frame, weld the mounting brackets to the frame, and weld the tabs to the axle (Ford 10.5).
No body lift was needed to install in this fashion, and to my memory no additional cutting was required.
Attached are the best photos I could get without taking off a rear wheel. 🙂

PXL_20220922_190554266.jpg

PXL_20220922_190542740.jpg

PXL_20220922_190649297.jpg

Last edited:
That will work on an unlimited or stretched TJ, not so much on a TJ with stock axle placement.

just installed rear AR on my 02’ w/no body lift this last weekend… I cannot confidently say it was worth it. 🤣 most have already voted no lol.

currie’s instructions discuss the inner wheel well trimming, I had to cut slightly higher then depicted, but in the same manner.

There’s a pinch weld in the center underside of the tub that makes a slight “U” bend into the torsion bar’s path that I grinded down for needed clearance.

(this will require you to disconnect and remove the gas tank completely. also, metal grinding near flammable fuel is not my particular flavor of regret, i’ll make up for that somehow else.)

when i got this buttoned up after a couple days of hell, the results were successful but very close. multiple times it seemed like it wasn’t gonna pan out. lots of “instal, remove, trim, and repeat”.