Does this 2006 TJ lower steering shaft look right?

2006_LJ

Is this gap suppose to be there on my lower intermediate steering shaft? trying to solve for a steering wheel play and noticed this beauty. It's right before where the shaft meets the steering box (Mercedes box I believe)
lll.JPG
If you are interested in see the play that I speak of, here it is

Recently replaced: draglink/front trackbar/tierod ends/u joints, wheel bearings and had jeep aligned twice, new tires and wheels balanced also.

The play existed before all of this work, it's better now but obviously not gone completely as you can see from video. And, no the pitman arm nor the wheels move when I wiggle the wheel, also I am able to turn my steering shaft with my hands again, also w/o any movement in pitman

Last edited:
I too have a similar issue in the steering. What are the chances that the excess play is due to a worn U-joint in the steering shaft?

I too have a similar issue in the steering. What are the chances that the excess play is due to a worn U-joint in the steering shaft?
There lies the problem, you never know till you try — and by the time you're done, you've darn near changed everything. I'm thinking lower steering shaft (IF i can find one for my 06) and the steering box at the same time.

• Wow
Reactions: SvtLdr and AndyG
If you are going to stay with the stock mercede's box....go with a Lares box from Rockauto.
Part # 11356,

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=8889468&cc=1432231&jsn=922
I would trust this before any reman from Napa, PepBoys, Carquest, etc. etc. etc.

The remans sold by the big box stores are from A1Cardone and are total junk.

Steering shaft is expensive AF.

https://www.moparpartsgiant.com/parts/mopar-shaft-intermediate~55315044aa.html
Thank you, I will look at the lares box.

The shop that just did all that work was unable to determine the issue before replacing all those parts?
To be honest, I brought him those parts — knowing I wanted them replaced as they looked in rough shape. I figured they were part of a preventative maintenance — yes I have a bit of OCD :/