Dog breeds

Very much like a "best oil" or "best lift" thread, but sure a lot cuter!

Your plans for a pit/lab mix will find you a loyal, friendly, smart friend that are plentiful at shelters.
I recommend a puppy who will be tailor nurtured by you and your family.

My 11 year old buddy was found in a dumpster at about 6 weeks old along with his 2 dead sisters. He was nearly starved but has grown into a 100# golden retriever/ bigfoot mix who has a big bark and big presence but who loves everyone I introduce him to and loves all kids.

Folks here have great dogs. Get a big mutt puppy.

Australian shepherds are the way to go. They are very intelligent and somewhat easily trained. I have a 2 year old miniature Aussie that loves riding and hiking. They do require some sort of daily exercise and mental stimulation because they get bored and can be destructive.
IMG-1103.JPG

I had a wonderful female black lab for 14 years. Now I have a 9 year old female chocolate lab. Best dog ever! I love how a lab is always ready to go but until then they snooze near you. I prefer the temperament of a female over a male.
View attachment 44066

The one I was looking at is a male, what is it about females that you like more? Just curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rescue if you can. Most, if not all, of the time, the Foster family will have a very good idea of the dog's temperament. As far as breed goes, I lean towards mutts. My experience has been better health with mixed breeds. I'd stay away from a pit mix for my first dog. They really need a strong leader, or you can have problems.

I've had a number of different dogs, including a Rottweiler and currently have a Pit/Rot/St Bernard mix. He is the best dog I've ever had. We also just lost our Cavalier King Charles. She was awesome as well, but lots of health problems with that breed.

Here is the Pit mix... He likes his rides
20180602_192005.jpg
20180602_192447.jpg

Our cavalier also liked to ride in the car. We had a wagon for her walks, due to her heart condition (mitral valve failure) Unfortunately she was one to put her whole head into the wind, so we didn't get her in the jeep last year. I picked up harnesses for them this year, but she passed before jeep weather :(

kddRKDvfhUCifoCjqinIuHomW6nPqUd_uw6r-LTrvBjocVHIyiUw1_pJDOL_pTuSPpwoPR3P_BgSsizZUo=w1133-h637-no.jpg

jmpQxypcm-dwuJsij_w2CHThA9cmMhsF-2T7bWep4D7FSrPOgih7OBOvGLNqfUpmhfqzMgRWhyjqOk2KGUM=w850-h637-no.jpg

Reactions: JLLJ and Kathy
The one I was looking at is a male, what is it about females that you like more? Just curious.

Both male and female labs are great. It seems like the females are more willing to accept and comply with commands where the males are more head strong.

Reactions: Rubirob
I agree with Mr. Bills about the Australian Cattle Dogs, they are special. I have owned a Dachshund, Black Lab, Sheltie, 2 German Shepherds, a Border Collie (still alive, almost 15), and an ACD. I loved all of them.

The Border Collie is super smart and doesn't have a mean bone in her body. My ACD was equally capable in the intelligence category as the BC, but my ACD was capable of being a cold blooded assassin if he felt a threat to his family. Then he could flip a switch and try to be a 45 pound lap dog. ACDs are the 1% dog owners' dog.
40764392650_b1c05abdb4_n.jpg
dogs

I’m jealous! The wife has a hard enough time with 1 medium breed, I can’t imagine how she would react if I got a German Shepherd or a Rottweiler but one day I’ll do it again.

upload_2018-6-16_7-24-10.png
upload_2018-6-16_7-24-22.png
upload_2018-6-16_7-24-40.png
upload_2018-6-16_7-24-53.png

This is our lab, Holly. Such a great dog and a year after she left us I still think of her all the time. The last pic was taken as we were walking along a dirt road near the house. This pic makes me feel like she was being called home and she left us soon after.

Reactions: JLLJ and Squatch
I have a pit/lab mix. He is very energetic, smart, and rambunctious, I love him!!
View attachment 44136

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I have a lab/pit mix as well. He's been a great dog, 6 years old now. His name is Tank, he's very obidient, intelligent & loves the Jeep. If the doors are off, he will sit in the TJ when we are outside. I have full confidence that he would defend his house and people at all costs, he's fearless like a pit but loves like a lab, perfect combination.
20170602_202140.jpg

Those eyes..

20180616_084731.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: brown_mule
I have a lab/pit mix as well. He's been a great dog, 6 years old now. His name is Tank, he's very obidient, intelligent & loves the Jeep. If the doors are off, he will sit in the TJ when we are outside. I have full condidence that he would defend his house and people at all costs, he's fearless like a pit but loves like a lab, perfect combination.
View attachment 44445
Those eyes..

View attachment 44447

Good looking dog !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: Travis