Dog breeds

Rhodesian and boxer, so they tell me. Rescued from the county shelter. Smartest dog I’ve ever had. Wants, no he demands, exercise which is a bit of a challenge at 100+. Going to try him at hiking when it cools down. I wish I was still running my 3 miles a day.

BECDB22C-EC66-46AD-AE2C-DCDB84D6B252.jpeg

Reactions: Ephry73 and ptmt86
Two german shepherds, though the younger one Bella needs prayers had to take her to the er vet last night for bloat she was operated on and her spleen had to be removed she is still in rough shape and not out of the woods yet fingers crossed though.

20180818_200659.jpg

20180818_200609.jpg

Reactions: ptmt86
We have an Akita, she is very loyal and very much pack oriented. She likes most people but not very many other dogs. The breed is very intelligent and can be a handful if you do not fully understand "pack mentality". Whichever dog you choose I highly recommend "Raising the perfect puppy" by the Monks of New Skeete. They raise dogs for military, police, etc. and have a very effective and unique training style that I have used on the past 4 Akitas that we have had. Mitsu is by far the most social Akita I have ever had, I was raised with Akitas, I have pictures of me in diapers (circa 1965) crawling all over our big male Kuma...... They are awesome companions, they will defend their pack with everything they have to the death...... something to keep in mind if you choose this breed.........
IMG_4403.JPG
IMG_4427.JPG
IMG_4572.JPG

We have an Akita, she is very loyal and very much pack oriented. She likes most people but not very many other dogs. The breed is very intelligent and can be a handful if you do not fully understand "pack mentality". Whichever dog you choose I highly recommend "Raising the perfect puppy" by the Monks of New Skeete. They raise dogs for military, police, etc. and have a very effective and unique training style that I have used on the past 4 Akitas that we have had. Mitsu is by far the most social Akita I have ever had, I was raised with Akitas, I have pictures of me in diapers (circa 1965) crawling all over our big male Kuma...... They are awesome companions, they will defend their pack with everything they have to the death...... something to keep in mind if you choose this breed.........
View attachment 54075 View attachment 54076 View attachment 54077
Those are awesome dogs. We are dealing with some food aggression currently with our 18 month old pup. He is very protective and can be scary at times even tho he is only 30 lbs! Hand feeding him now, and it seems to be working. My GF is in FL this week, so he is really loving the fact that she is gone lol.

Reactions: ptmt86 and Rubirob
I have two Australian Shepherds. Super smart, although one can be a bit stubborn. Great with kids, more energy than they know what to do with, though. Not great if you can't get them outside for exercise.

English Bulldogs, not very smart, not very fast, but hilarious with so much personality. I've never had 2 dogs that just crack me up like these guys.
Here's Monty and his little buddy Wally.
m3.JPG
V__523F.jpg

English Bulldogs, not very smart, not very fast, but hilarious with so much personality. I've never had 2 dogs that just crack me up like these guys.
View attachment 60337 View attachment 60338

I've had lots of dogs (and different types of active breeds). My Border Collie is all gimped up with arthritis, so she is a shell of her former self. I've gotten used to the less active dog and figure I will try an English Bulldog next. How active are yours?

I've had lots of dogs (and different types of active breeds). My Border Collie is all gimped up with arthritis, so she is a shell of her former self. I've gotten used to the less active dog and figure I will try an English Bulldog next. How active are yours?
They are both very active, but run out of steam very quickly. 15-20 minutes of insanity, then a 4 hour nap.....Repeat.

Reactions: ptmt86 and zebra12
I’m sure everyone has their favorite dog breed. I grew up with Boxers. But I’m currently dogless. What breed would you recommend as a Wrangler pup? Thanks!

Staffordshire Bull Terrier
If treaded right
Loyal affectionate friendly
And look after the little kids
Very protective
They call them the nanny dog
My Staffy is about the best you could have
And as soon as I say Jeep she's at the door ready to go
Even sits up waiting for me to put her car harness on

IMG_20180927_214424_416.jpg

View attachment 60337 View attachment 60338
Absolutely love English Bulldogs! If I see one across the street I’m coming over to say high. Their personality has to be the best of any breed. Your description of them is spot on. I have had five in my adult life and had to let the last to go recently. One made it to 9.5 and the other almost 11. We’re coming up on a year since the last one passed away and have put a deposit on a French Bulldog. Hopefully she has at least half the goofiest packed in half the size.
Beautiful bullies BTW If your dogs struggle with ear and tail problems send me a message. We have an all natural oils mixture that helped our guys late in life.

Reactions: ptmt86 and DuncLJ
Those are awesome dogs. We are dealing with some food aggression currently with our 18 month old pup. He is very protective and can be scary at times even tho he is only 30 lbs! Hand feeding him now, and it seems to be working. My GF is in FL this week, so he is really loving the fact that she is gone lol.
There is a book "Raising the Perfect Puppy" by The Monks of New Skeete, they raise Shepherds in a monastery in up-state New York. They do a very good job of explaining "pack mentality" and how large breeds (such as Akitas) that are not so far removed from their wolf ancestors. I do not advocate striking a dog, but I do strongly advocate establishing the owner as the alpha, their spouse as the beta, and so forth until the dog is the lowest ranking member of the pack. This can be done without striking or beating....if you would like more info pm me....I have had akitas for more than 50 years. I am 53 years old and have pictures of me as a toddler in diapers climbing all over out male akita......