Dog breeds

D3E6A86B-1D8B-42E2-B170-9FD8962DBAA4.jpeg
There is a book "Raising the Perfect Puppy" by The Monks of New Skeete, they raise Shepherds in a monastery in up-state New York. They do a very good job of explaining "pack mentality" and how large breeds (such as Akitas) that are not so far removed from their wolf ancestors. I do not advocate striking a dog, but I do strongly advocate establishing the owner as the alpha, their spouse as the beta, and so forth until the dog is the lowest ranking member of the pack. This can be done without striking or beating....if you would like more info pm me....I have had akitas for more than 50 years. I am 53 years old and have pictures of me as a toddler in diapers climbing all over out male akita......
Appreciate that! Def have established who is the Alpha male in this House now lol. Crew has come along way and he is really doing well now.

Reactions: ptmt86 and FireJeep
Not a great update to this post. We lost River to lung cancer on Saturday. She was a tough little girl. She beat cancer twice in her leg, but this one in her lung was just too much. We had almost eleven years with her.

Her last day with us was a good day, and she passed in the sunshine of our backyard eating ice cream.

5FE87830-46C5-4F76-9FC4-83408993F3A0.jpeg

Love everything dogs! My perfect yellow lab lived 14 years until a couple years ago and they are such great dogs. Then I had a Greyhound which turns out to be about as perfect of a dog as you can get but I lost her to cancer earlier this year and I will have an other one someday soon. Now I have a Catahoula Leopard Dog and she is awesome. STRONG willed, very smart and fiercely loyal once you are in her "family" and energy for days. Huge personality too so not for everyone.

Izzy Gracie.jpg

Izzy girl.jpg

Izzy n Jeep.jpg

Luna (Foreground)- My girl.

Rescue / Pitbull

99% Sweetest thing you ever met and 1% bad bitch!

Tank (Middle) - My doppelgänger.

Rescue / German Shepard mix

This dog is so much like me it’s freaky. Needless to say he’s about perfect! Lol

Sid (Background) - My protector

My sisters dog is his mom.

The gentle giant of our pack. 150 lbs of love. He followes me everywhere.

6597EB85-EFD9-4D0C-9F1A-560FB35215CF.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: ptmt86
Not a great update to this post. We lost River to lung cancer on Saturday. She was a tough little girl. She beat cancer twice in her leg, but this one in her lung was just too much. We had almost eleven years with her.

Her last day with us was a good day, and she passed in the sunshine of our backyard eating ice cream.

View attachment 60850
I’m so sorry to hear of your loss. The thought of losing our yellow lab is unbearable. But what a wonderful way to end her time here on earth!

View attachment 60850
Sorry to hear of your loss. It is so hard to let them go. They become so ingrained into your life. Rest assured she'll be waiting for you at the rainbow bridge.

View attachment 60850
Beautiful dog. Sorry to hear of her passing, but it sounds like you gave her a really nice send off.

Reactions: Serbonze and ptmt86
Labs are such wonderful dogs, sucks about their hips though. I wouldn’t know how to act if I had a dog that actually listened.

I have had labs and jack Russell terriers for about 45 years. Hunted both across the Eastern US. Finally give up on the labs 3 years ago. So many problems with hip dyplacia.
Screenshot_20180927-181709_Chrome.jpg
At one point I had 33. Still have a couple of Jack's. Compared to the Labs the are college grads and the Labs are 1st graders. I believe they rank right behind border collies in intelligence if not right there with them.
We have a pit that is a wonder full living dog. Has made a great campanion for my daughter. The black and white jack keeps him in check. For me it's the Jack Russell terrier
20180919_202332.jpg
20170824_191839.jpg
20170812_082116.jpg

Reactions: zebra12
Added this cute little girl to the family last week. We have always had English Bulldogs, hoping this frenchie will be able to do more activities. But how you forget how much effort and what a PIA puppies are.

I'm partial to Australian Cattle Dogs and Border Collies, but my next rescue will be an English Bulldog.

I'm partial to Australian Cattle Dogs and Border Collies, but my next rescue will be an English Bulldog.
Oh buddy you are entering into a different world..lol
My wife wanted another English but I didn’t. I do but I don’t. It was difficult to watch her struggle caring for a 60lb dog when their joint started going. We had English for almost 20yrs. You will love their personality but expect them to listen.