Dog breeds

Rubirob

TJ Enthusiast
So I want to get a dog, haven’t had one since I was like 5. I have cats because they are low maintenance, but with my lifestyle becoming more active I feel a dog would be a good companion as well as a loyal friend. I am leaning to getting something with lab in it. And obviously a breed that likes rides, someone has to come with me in my Jeep!! I’m thinking maybe a pit/lab mix? As I hear they are friendly, active, and kinda goofy so fun haha. I know a lot of you guys have dogs, so what breed are they and why do you like that breed? Btw this is just for fun as much as it’s for me to learn about some breeds.

Feel free to share stories, pictures (hopefully some of them with your Jeep [emoji38][emoji106]), all things that involve your dog!

This is one of the little guys I am looking at.
455751032465c2a83e725751753cb49e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I want to get a dog, haven’t had one since I was like 5. I have cats because they are low maintenance, but with my lifestyle becoming more active I feel a dog would be a good companion as well as a loyal friend. I am leaning to getting something with lab in it. And obviously a breed that likes rides, someone has to come with me in my Jeep!! I’m thinking maybe a pit/lab mix? As I hear they are friendly, active, and kinda goofy so fun haha. I know a lot of you guys have dogs, so what breed are they and why do you like that breed? Btw this is just for fun as much as it’s for me to learn about some breeds.

Feel free to share stories, pictures (hopefully some of them with your Jeep [emoji38][emoji106]), all things that involve your dog!

This is one of the little guys I am looking at. View attachment 44005

I now have a 12 week old Brittany which is everything and more that you have described, but if you aren’t ready to pay a TON of attention to a Brittany, they will make you pay. He loves rides already, he’s a gun/bird dog so he sniffs his way to the moon but the breed is very loyal and mild tempered with other people and dogs, they are also very agile and only get up to 40lbs usually. I also love labs, had a black lab that was a great dog for 12 yrs. Good luck! Puppies are lots of work.
e11d5683bb6ac2b4e5c9b40e21d58521.jpg

a97ee4eb90b45fdfadf1ec9743101ca8.jpg

47a68efa6f9f678b420679d7c0ad0083.jpg

Waiting for my daughter to come back out. He loves his humans.

Last edited:
Labs are great family and Jeep dogs and most of them can easily hop up into the Jeep without having to lift them up as you'd need to with a smaller breed. A friend has a couple Chocolate Labs that are great, I keep hinting I'd take one to be a buddy to my Heinz 57 dog (named BJ) that looks mostly like a Black Lab.

Retrievers are wonderful dogs but their genes make them more susceptible to developing cancer. My Yellow Lab died of cancer 15 years ago. :(

Labs are great family and Jeep dogs and most of them can easily hop up into the Jeep without having to lift them up as you'd need to with a smaller breed. A friend has a couple Chocolate Labs that are great, I keep hinting I'd take one to be a buddy to my Heinz 57 dog (named BJ) that looks mostly like a Black Lab.

Retrievers are wonderful dogs but their genes make them more susceptible to developing cancer. My Yellow Lab died of cancer 15 years ago. :(

I was thinking the same thing about the lab being able to jump up in my Jeep! They are pretty agile dogs from what I have heard. I was looking into a mix breed to hopefully stack the odds in favor of the dog having a long healthy life.

My childhood neighbor had two golden retrievers and one of them died from cancer so I believe they are susceptible to it.

I now have a 12 week old Brittany which is everything and more that you have described, but if you aren’t ready to pay a TON of attention to a Brittany, they will make you pay. He loves rides already, he’s a gun/bird dog so he sniffs his way to the moon but the breed is very loyal and mild tempered with other people and dogs, they are also very agile and only get up to 40lbs usually. I also love labs, had a black lab that was a great dog for 12 yrs. Good luck! Puppies are lots of work. View attachment 44006
View attachment 44007
View attachment 44008
Waiting for my daughter to come back out. He loves his humans.

I didn’t even think about one of these, how big do they get? I want a large medium sized dog to a full size if that makes sense haha, not a grate Dane but not a terrier. Something around the size of a lab.

That dog is pretty cute waiting for you daughter haha. I don’t have kids but I want my dog to be friendly around them. I know a large part of that is introducing them to children from a young age though.

I was thinking the same thing about the lab being able to jump up in my Jeep! They are pretty agile dogs from what I have heard. I was looking into a mix breed to hopefully stack the odds in favor of the dog having a long healthy life.

My childhood neighbor had two golden retrievers and one of them died from cancer so I believe they are susceptible to it.

I really don’t know for sure, my German Shepherd/Husky mix died of cancer. My poodle mix died of cancer and my Black lab same story. My parents have a pure bread Lhasa apso that is 16 yrs old that has lived off of hot dogs her whole life so it’s a crapshoot in my opinion.

Reactions: JLLJ and Rubirob
I really don’t know for sure, my German Shepherd/Husky mix died of cancer. My poodle mix died of cancer and my Black lab same story. My parents have a pure bread Lhasa apso that is 16 yrs old that has lived off of hot dogs her whole life so it’s a crapshoot in my opinion.

Yea there is a lot that goes into the genetics of the dog and how it’s health will be. I have read both sides, one side saying purebred is worse because of common health Issues that run strong in certain lineages.. while I have heard that a mixed breed can get these negative traits from both breeds making it double trouble for the dog. A lot comes down to the breeder and trying to only breed healthy dogs.

As for buying from a breeder, I don’t care about papers or if it was an intentional breed or just a dog who had puppies. One day I want to rescue a dog but with my cats I don’t want to chance it hurting them. So for now a puppy it is!

Reactions: Jay P
We love our labs.

7B66984A-34C9-439A-901D-4413FB0716CB.jpeg

We lost Storm (far right) three years ago, and we still miss him terribly. The picture below was one of his last rides in the Jeep. My wife and I drove him down to the lake where he loved to just sit and watch.

385DA1D2-7783-4EC2-B950-D429C8B0E3CB.jpeg

River (middle of top pic) is our ten year old girl. She’s always been quite feisty.

12ADB039-4C56-4BD2-AF3E-CD9CBECFE66E.jpeg

Brady is a fox red lab. We rescued him from Georgia. He’s an amazing dog, the best behaved and most loyal of any dog that I’ve ever had. He goes to the gym with me every Sunday.

6DD456F4-B742-4F5A-B98F-F9DC976E719F.jpeg

Recently lost our yellow lab of 14 years to cancer. They are great dogs, but can get big. At one point ours was 105 lbs. In his later years, we had to get a dog ramp for him to get in the jeep. They also shed like crazy. He was the best dog EVER! Our other dog is a lab mix and is 85 lbs, She has some pit and maybe some shepard, with short hair. I prefer the short hair for less shedding and easier maintenance.

Beau,
6.jpg

8.jpg

Bella,
20180519_121347.jpg

190 lbs. of dog in the back of the jeep!
2.jpg

Yea there is a lot that goes into the genetics of the dog and how it’s health will be. I have read both sides, one side saying purebred is worse because of common health Issues that run strong in certain lineages.. while I have heard that a mixed breed can get these negative traits from both breeds making it double trouble for the dog. A lot comes down to the breeder and trying to only breed healthy dogs.

As for buying from a breeder, I don’t care about papers or if it was an intentional breed or just a dog who had puppies. One day I want to rescue a dog but with my cats I don’t want to chance it hurting them. So for now a puppy it is!

One of the big advantages of adopting from a breed specific rescue is that the dogs are often kept with one or more foster families while they are up for adoption. Since they live with these families you will generally get a very clear picture of the dog’s temperament. (E.g. kid friendly, dog friendly, cat friendly, etc.)

I've had so much fun with Border collies.
They are so loyal, obedient and extremely intelligent.
They're an idea breed for someone with an active lifestyle.
Mine loves Jeep rides, backpacking and Mtnbiking and I'll tell you this....they never get tired.
BUT, i love all dogs :).
20180612_133138.jpg

We love our labs.

View attachment 44027

We lost Storm (far right) three years ago, and we still miss him terribly. The picture below was one of his last rides in the Jeep. My wife and I drove him down to the lake where he loved to just sit and watch.

View attachment 44028

River (middle of top pic) is our ten year old girl. She’s always been quite feisty.

View attachment 44029

Brady is a fox red lab. We rescued him from Georgia. He’s an amazing dog, the best behaved and most loyal of any dog that I’ve ever had. He goes to the gym with me every Sunday.

View attachment 44030

This is why I was thinking about getting something with lab in it at the very least. They just seem like good well rounded dogs. Sorry to hear about storm, my mom just lost her little dog 2 weeks ago. They become family, that’s for sure!

Recently lost our yellow lab of 14 years to cancer. They are great dogs, but can get big. At one point ours was 105 lbs. In his later years, we had to get a dog ramp for him to get in the jeep. They also shed like crazy. He was the best dog EVER! Our other dog is a lab mix and is 85 lbs, She has some pit and maybe some shepard, with short hair. I prefer the short hair for less shedding and easier maintenance.

Beau,
View attachment 44031
View attachment 44032
Bella,
View attachment 44034
190 lbs. of dog in the back of the jeep!
View attachment 44035

That’s sad that you lost your yellow lab, I know everyone says this type of stuff but at least he made it to 14 I feel that’s a good life! But it still hurts and is sad no matter what. I love that dog ramp haha, I will have to keep that in mind for the later years of my soon to be dogs life haha

I have Cane Corso’s. My male Max is my service dog my female is Bella. They are an excellent breed. Here is a picture of all of us in the Jeep.

View attachment 44036

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I don’t think I have even heard of these before, if one is a service dog they must be pretty smart! Are they pretty friendly?

Reactions: PriddyBoy
I've had so much fun with Border collies.
They are so loyal, obedient and extremely intelligent.
They're an idea breed for someone with an active lifestyle.
Mine loves Jeep rides, backpacking and Mtnbiking and I'll tell you this....they never get tired.
BUT, i love all dogs :).View attachment 44041

I have thought about those before as well, they seemed very fun and like you said full of energy!

I don’t think I have even heard of these before, if one is a service dog they must be pretty smart! Are they pretty friendly?

Excellent family dogs, and extremely smart. They closely related to the Italian Mastiff. My female is protective of my kids. Both are very protective of the House. If me our my wife is home and someone comes over they act like big ole lap dogs and wants everyone to see and let them. But if we’re not and someone tries to get in.... well they picked the wrong house. The family is their pack and they understand the “pecking” order. My youngest is 13 and is home with both of them by himself all the time and we don’t worry. They love to ride and be with you. Do a little research I’ll think you’ll be pleased with what you find.

142549ca19a7134402aba5eab90b828d.jpg

eabb95493b17bb2499445cc5f19d00f9.jpg

117a8a8d11cf358b99c088f0d634cb37.jpg

b15e21295df1a5e835e314c17a1ff7b3.jpg

534282e24739c0a63c77949a08b7a9e2.jpg

c95bd36e8323bf8fd17be185dad06f1a.jpg

dd7763cbcc22a00f658082c23d30a20d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro