Door Hinge Screws + A Variety of Expletives

Before I go any further, I just want to check: It's still "righty tighty, lefty loosey," right?

Uninspiring update: Heat didn't cut it. I'll give you three guesses at the objects in the picture below, but the first two don't count and no, I'm not regearing:
IMG-3253.jpg

Looks like we'll be drilling them out, though given my experiences thus far, I may need vibranium drill bits.

I had this struggle when I did my half door project. Never could get them off, also didn’t try a lot of the above. I just painted over them, thankfully doors aligned right.
Same project! Only instead of painting, I'm trying to vinyl wrap the half doors I just picked up. I suspect getting the hinges off will make the project much easier, and the final product look better when it comes to vinyl wrap.

Last edited:
Before I go any further, I just want to check: It's still "righty tighty, lefty loosey," right?

Uninspiring update: Heat didn't cut it. I'll give you three guesses at the objects in the picture below, but the first two don't count and no, I'm not regearing:
View attachment 306368

Looks like we'll be drilling them out, though given my experiences thus far, I may need vibranium drill bits.

Same project! Only instead of painting, I'm trying to vinyl wrap the half doors I just picked up. I suspect getting the hinges off will make the project much easier, and the final product look better when it comes to vinyl wrap.
Your picture isn't working and yes it's lefty loosey

Reactions: PhillyJake

View attachment 306425

Yeah with vinyl that may make a big difference! Good luck

ok, brief update: I drilled one of the hinge screws (diameter smaller than the shaft of the screw itself). Then I stuck one of those spiral flute screw things in there...and borked it right in half. Screw's still stuck.

What I'm wondering: Better to go big or go home and drill out the bolt head, but stop before I get to the bolt shaft? or do I incrementally increase the drill bit size to drill out only the bolt shaft?

If it's not evident, a couple things driving my overthinking: accidentally stripping the bolt holes; catastrophically destroying the door altogether. Probably not reasonable...

Should have tried the heat method recommended above first before drilling it. I'd try that with the rest of the bolts so you can get the hinge off and have hope of getting the one you drilled out with vise grips.

Reactions: Artsifrtsi
When I pulled my jeep apart, most of the torx bolts would not let loose with a 3/8 drive dewalt impact. Rather than hammering on the bolts till they stripped or broke, I took a propane torch, held the flame on the fastener head (from the exterior) and counted to 30. Every single one came out with no damage to the bolt and no damage to the paint. My jeep is from the Texas coast so there was plenty of opportunity for corrosion.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
What type of torch do you guys use? A big Oxy/Acetylene torch is probably overkill for me and would probably last two centuries. Anything relatively compact and cheap that puts out enough heat to make large bolts smoking hot? I don't think I need something hot enough to cut metal...just enough to make stubborn bolts glow a bit.

Should have tried the heat method recommended above first before drilling it. I'd try that with the rest of the bolts so you can get the hinge off and have hope of getting the one you drilled out with vise grips.
I did! I swear! I heated the bolt itself, the bit before putting in the bolt, the bit while in the bolt, the backside of the bolt, the entire impact driver...nothing worked. Bolts (plural) didn't move and the new T40 bit broke.

My experience is the counter sunk head resists removal more than corrosion in the threads. The plate the bolt is in is maybe 1/4” of threads at the most. Drill off the head and after you get all of the hinge out of the way chances are a pair of channel locks will easily remove the rest of the bolt.
Another trick I’ve learned over the years to get that broken easy-out out is this. The easy-out is very hard and brittle. Take a punch and big hammer and whack the easy-out really hard and quick. The easy-out will shatter like a mirror and fall out or come out in pieces.

Reactions: JDM
What type of torch do you guys use? A big Oxy/Acetylene torch is probably overkill for me and would probably last two centuries. Anything relatively compact and cheap that puts out enough heat to make large bolts smoking hot? I don't think I need something hot enough to cut metal...just enough to make stubborn bolts glow a bit.
Just a simple propane torch with a pencil tip

Then I stuck one of those spiral flute screw things in there...and borked it right in half
And you thought the door bolts are a b- to remove, good luck drilling the easy-out to get it out!

Do as @Jerry Bransford said earlier... put the torx bit into the bolt... heat the torx bit to lightly glow, allow heat to transfer into bolt, and heat again... try wiggling the bolt loose by turning left and right. It will remove this way. If you don't want a flame that close to the door to heat the torx bit, look into an induction coil to heat the bit.

When I pulled my jeep apart, most of the torx bolts would not let loose with a 3/8 drive dewalt impact. Rather than hammering on the bolts till they stripped or broke, I took a propane torch, held the flame on the fastener head (from the exterior) and counted to 30. Every single one came out with no damage to the bolt and no damage to the paint. My jeep is from the Texas coast so there was plenty of opportunity for corrosion.
This is actually helpful - i've been avoiding putting the heat directly on the bolt head/paint out of concern for ruining the paint. But it looks like you're saying that despite head-on heat applied to the bolt didn't ruin the paint? That's incredible - this is the only thing I haven't tried yet, so I stand corrected, @Jerry Bransford !
I'm using a big box tool store hand torch with small propane tank turned up to blue - it's worked for me in the past on other bolts, so hoping it does the trick this time too...

Weld a bolt into the bolt head. This does two things, gets the bolt super hot and adds a new torque transfer device (hex head). After that came out no problem.

Weld a bolt into the bolt head. This does two things, gets the bolt super hot and adds a new torque transfer device (hex head). After that came out no problem.
wish I could, but I don't have any welding equipment, unfortunately.

Just a simple propane torch with a pencil tip
is a pencil tip different than the tip that typically comes with the tanks? It's smaller/narrower?

Mine came with a broad tip and I bought a pencil tip for directing the flame more precisely. Not for that specific job but for other jobs. The broad tip will probably work just as good because mine has a pointy tip and a broad flame around the sharp tip. The pencil tip just directs the heat a little more to the center.

wish I could, but I don't have any welding equipment, unfortunately.

is a pencil tip different than the tip that typically comes with the tanks? It's smaller/narrower?
I didnt either at the time, but nice part of removeable doors is you can easily transport to a friends house!
On a side note, get yourself a welder, it's a big life hack being able to stick metal together.

I won't let this thread die...

I've got all the bolts out (sometimes it took heat, other times it took drilling), i've got the doors vinyl wrapped and ready to go (they look great), but all the door hinge screws didn't survive the process. I need 4 screws, but I could use six.

Does anyone know where to get them without paying $7 a screw?!?! I ordered these, but despite the description, they are too long so don't fit.

I guess I'll pay seven bucks, but there's got to be a cheaper option...TIA