Dry starts in the cold

DropTopDon

TJ Enthusiast
Recently put 15w-40 conventional in my LJ in hopes to slow down my rms and help with lifter tick. I noticed that on very cold mornings when I start up the jeep I get this dry metal on metal noise like the engine is being deprived of oil. It only lasts for maybe 2 seconds. Is this because my oil is thick so it isn’t circulating quick enough? Mopar oil filter so I don’t think it’s a drain back valve problem

Reactions: Morks
Recently put 15w-40 conventional in my LJ in hopes to slow down my rms and help with lifter tick. I noticed that on very cold mornings when I start up the jeep I get this dry metal on metal noise like the engine is being deprived of oil. It only lasts for maybe 2 seconds. Is this because my oil is thick so it isn’t circulating quick enough? Mopar oil filter so I don’t think it’s a drain back valve problem

Are you able to get a video of the noise on start-up?

I use this in 10w-30, it works
https://www.valvoline.com/en/high-mileage-max-life-motor-oil/

I put 15/40 Delo in a 4.0 cherokee some years ago. It screamed like a little girl for a few seconds when it got cold and I fired it up. Bad idea mang unless it never gets below 90 where you live.

:unsure:

81xj5xM455L._AC_SL1500_.jpg