Dual rate springs

Have you installed it? I've got two problems... This kit is so new that there are not a lot installs yet, so there is no way for me to know or make a reasonable assumption about how it will work on my Jeep.

I run my Jeep in one of two modes. Light, with just me and little bit of gear which is way under the Max GVW and then the other end of the spectrum where it is loaded at or just over Max GVW. Most of the time it's running light. A 2 1/2" lift from, say OME, is going to give me more than 3" of lift most of the time. Almost every lift kit I've seen is designed for a Jeep that has front and rear bumpers, a winch, armor, a hard top, a six banger and lots of gear. That's not how I'm set up. My SE weighs in at 3,200#, with a half tank of gas and nothing else in it. When I load up and hit the hills, it weighs in at about 3,500 - 3,600# (about 90% of the time). Rarely, it gets loaded up and weighs probably 4,200#. That's about 5% of the time. Same road and trail conditions. I need just a little bit more ground clearance 90% of the time so I don't drag stuff in the dirt. 5% of the time I need to support extra weight, and not drag stuff in the dirt.

Maybe I need to just put a new set of stock springs and good shocks in it to cover the 90% usage, and then leave it home for the other 5% and use the Suburban. Don't want to do that though. (The unmentioned 5% of the time is just running around on hard pavement, and no mods are needed for that.)

What are your unsprung corner weights?

Front: 1,650# , Rear 1,550# with a half tank of gas and nothing else in it. No driver, no passenger, no stuff. That could be off by 50# + / -, but close enough for the girls I run with. I haven't weighed each corner to find out what the weight bias is side to side. I usually toss in another 100 - 200# of stuff when I head out. Usually closer to the 100# end than otherwise. I weigh in at 225. That puts me and the Jeep at around 3,500 to 3,600#. No idea what the weight bias is on that either, though I'm guessing that it doesn't change a bunch. Running at that weight doesn't bottom out the suspension unless I get stupid and drop something in a hole. I do drag the gas tank skid at times. Nothing horrible, but it happens. The Jeep goes great, and a small increase in tire size for a little extra "floatation" (lower ground loading) is going to cover the other issue that I have experienced. Lift kits just don't seem to be designed for this.

So with the 3" and 35s do you get any rubbing ?

None whatsoever....I tested this Jeep at decent speeds in the desert and was quite happy. Mind you that TJ is very light, and bump-stopped correctly. Had it been a 6cyl and any heavier I would have used the standard Currie 4" springs.

Oh and the Jeep in that picture has HPD30 front and Dana 35 rear with 5.13s!

Reactions: Chris