Early 2000 exhaust?

Delky

Hello All,
I'm new to the jeep game and I'm a bit confused. I have an early 2000 TJ built 08/99 and It's got the 2 o2 exhaust.

I'm trying to restore my Jeep back towards oem since the previous owner did a cat delete. Is there an exhaust system specifically for the early 2000 or is it the 99?
also, what is the recommended exhaust manifold as mine is made of rust.

any help is appreciated

• Haha
Reactions: inkedrose
I would believe 1999-2000 would be the exact same exhaust.

As far as the manifold goes I would buy an aftermarket unit with the flex joints built in

What's even more confusing for me is that the Jeep currently has a split-type header like on the later TJ models but no catalytic converters and no o2 sensors on the driver's side both are on the passenger side. non of this is lining up for me.

thumbnail (7).jpeg

thumbnail (8).jpeg

thumbnail.jpeg

What's even more confusing for me is that the Jeep currently has a split-type header like on the later TJ models but no catalytic converters and no o2 sensors on the driver's side both are on the passenger side. non of this is lining up for me.

View attachment 479918

View attachment 479920

View attachment 479923

For what it's worth my 99 TJ has the tube type manifold with single exhaust pipe. I had a 2000 XJ it had the dual cast manifolds , twin pipes and no mini pre-cats. The big difference is the 99 has the 0630 head and the 2000 has the 0331 crack prone head.

Reactions: reddvltj
Magnaflow makes a good set of emissions-compliant catalytic converters that are 100% bolt on for the later TJs. I'm pretty sure they also make them for the early models as well.

Thanks for the replies so far. From what I've heard so far I'm guessing it doesn't really matter if I have the single or split header as long as there are no pre-cats. I'm still confused about how the upstream o2 is way over on the passenger side when all I have seen is either on the header (for later models with pre-cats) or at the beginning of the downpipe.

Is there a best place to shop for exhaust components online? I'm going to be in need of replacing my exhaust in the near future and would appreciate recommendations on where to shop for this stuff. Amazon? Rock Auto? Exhaust specialty sites?

Here's what I have rigged up...Banks headers...then I welded up stainless 2.5" exhaust pipe and a v band clamp... wrapped the down pipe in DEI exhaust wrap.

IMG20231130093449.jpg

IMG20231130093435.jpg

IMG20231130093403.jpg

IMG20231130093419.jpg

-Mac

IMG20231130093328.jpg

View attachment 479918

View attachment 479920

View attachment 479923

I'm playing catch up... I just came off my last day of night shifts...

@ColoJeep and @SkylinesSuck are both correct. The 2000 4.0l is a transition year. There was Federal and California Emissions equipt. CA equipt is identical to the 2001 model year with the 4 O2 sensors and 2 cats coming right off the manifold.. The Fed equipt has the same split style manifold but only 2 sensors Upstream just before the cat and 1 downstream just after the cat... the cat is (should be) located down under the body right before the muffler.

Last edited:

@ColoJeep and @SkylinesSuck are both correct. The 2000 4.0l is a transition year. There was Federal and California Emissions equipt. CA equipt is identical to the 2001 model year with the 4 O2 sensors and 2 cats coming right off the manifold.. The Fed equipt has the same split style manifold but only 2 sensors Upstream just before the cat and 1 downstream just after the cat... the cat is (should be) located down under the body right before the muffler.

This.

and no one makes the early 2000 downpipe without the cats any longer. I know as I called both Walker and Omix-Ada who were the only aftermarket companies and they both said that they discontinued them.

This.

and no one makes the early 2000 downpipe without the cats any longer. I know as I called both Walker and Omix-Ada who were the only aftermarket companies and they both said that they discontinued them.
Thanks for the replies.

Ok that lines up with why the upstream o2 is on my passenger side. what's the play here since no one makes the downpipe? use a 97-99 style with an o2 extension to reach?

Reactions: macleanflood
Thanks for the replies.

Ok that lines up with why the upstream o2 is on my passenger side. what's the play here since no one makes the downpipe? use a 97-99 style with an o2 extension to reach?

I'd probably splice wires into the harness...if and big if you needed to move anything.

-Mac

Thanks for the replies.

On my 1998, I switched to the 2000 down pipe and 2 piece exhaust manifold years ago. I had an issue last year and wanted to purchase a new 2000 down pipe without the cats but was unable to due to the fact no one is making them any longer. I went back to a 1998/1999 style header with the bellows pipes for the 1998 year. You O2 sensor may be ok. Where is the connection on the wiring harness? Passenger side?

This.

The last time I looked (before now),Napa still had a source, but they don't any more. I would think a quality exhaust shop could fab up a y pipe for a decent price, maybe??? Not sure it wouldn't be just as cost effective to go with an aftermarket header...

Thanks for the replies.

You don't need to change the location of your O2 sensors.

FWIW, if you want to return everything to stock, I would not change out your manifol for an earlier model. While your header and intermediate pipe are rusty they look to still be in decent shape with some surface rust. It wouldn't be too much to clean them up and have them coated with ceramic or a good high temp exhaust paint.

Last edited:
Reactions: ColoJeep
You don't need to change the location of your O2 sensors.

FWIW, if you want to return everything to stock, I would not change out your manifol for an earlier model. While your header and intermediate pipe are rusty they look to still be in decent shape with some surface rust. It wouldn't be too much to clean them up and have them coated with ceramic or a good high temp exhaust paint.

That's definitely on the table. A lot of the rust appears to be very surface-level or is just old dirt and comes right off with a wire brush. I'm currently just a broke college student and don't live in an area with emissions so I don't really care about the cat I just want it to run well. I guess my next step will be checking the headers for any cracks or leaks and go from there.