Electric door locks and power windows: Not cool?

TurboTJ

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Ok, so I’ve got a Hi-lift and that is not cool. I can leave that at home. But I put electric door locks and window winders in my TJ. Does that make me a pariah in the TJ world? I’ve got to tell you though, it is really nice. Either door locks/unlocks all three. Pretty decadent, huh? With the window winder handle removed I’ve got more room for my knee. Oh yeah, and there are quick disconnect plugs to allow the doors to be removed. So, am I ok?

Reactions: Starrs
I mean, it’s a helpful feature, I wouldn’t mind having it in my Jeep. Every new person I have in my Jeep I have to train them to lock the door when they get out and opening the passenger window is a pain. How complex was it to wire it all up? At least it serves a useful purpose!

I definitely see the utility, though it doesn’t appeal to me. Nothing wrong with building YOUR Jeep the way you want to use it.

I don’t see any customized Jeep as a pariah, I see it as a fun expression of the owner. None of which I judge in a negative way (unless I’m a buyer, I’d totally judge low quality “upgrades”).

Reactions: MaloStapalo
I'm a sucker for remote start. So I've been adding it (the same unit actually) to every vehicle I've had since about 2004. When I had it in my 06 Rubicon, I always wanted to be able to use the lock and unlock buttons on the fob. So I bought some actuators and relays and sat down and figured it all out. I even had one in the tailgate. Sadly, when I traded that Jeep in back in 2012 I left all the actuators and relays behind. Kept the main remote start unit though, it's in my 04 X right now. I may do it all again, just haven't decided yet.

I definitely see the utility, though it doesn’t appeal to me. Nothing wrong with building YOUR Jeep the way you want to use it.

I don’t see any customized Jeep as a pariah, I see it as a fun expression of the owner. None of which I judge in a negative way (unless I’m a buyer, I’d totally judge low quality “upgrades”).
+1

I always say to build your Jeep to suit yourself, not others.

I presume that your doors, the ones you added power locks to, are full doors?

I have half doors and was wondering if the actuators would fit in them. There was already a El Cheapo alarm system on it when I bought it but, basically, it only locks out the ignition. I'd like add the door locks.
Thanks.

Edit- yes, full doors. I just re-read your post. Although I would like to see window winders on the zipper half door windows.

I've looked into doing all those things: remote start, power locks, power windows, etc. Part of me wants to do the work cause it's fun to do the work. Part of me wants the creature comforts cause it's so much easier to just press a button than use a key or crank a window.

Then part of me just wants to follow the KISS principle. I'm leaning towards that part, if only because I could spend hundreds on those kinds of mods, but I'd rather throw it under the Jeep than inside of it. That and it just feels different I suppose, it's hard to explain. It's like trying to take an old M16A1 style AR and putting an Aimpoint T2 Micro on it, let's put it that way. Just doesn't rub me right, as convenient as it would be.

Yep, lock the doors an get your nice soft top windows slashed...ask others on here with soft tops.. or do a search, it does not make a difference what neighborhood you are in either.
I presume that your doors, the ones you added power locks to, are full doors?

I have half doors and was wondering if the actuators would fit in them. There was already a El Cheapo alarm system on it when I bought it but, basically, it only locks out the ignition. I'd like add the door locks.
Thanks.

Edit- yes, full doors. I just re-read your post. Although I would like to see window winders on the zipper half door windows.

Ok, so I’ve got a Hi-lift and that is not cool. I can leave that at home. But I put electric door locks and window winders in my TJ. Does that make me a pariah in the TJ world? I’ve got to tell you though, it is really nice. Either door locks/unlocks all three. Pretty decadent, huh? With the window winder handle removed I’ve got more room for my knee. Oh yeah, and there are quick disconnect plugs to allow the doors to be removed. So, am I ok?
Any pics of this decadent upgrade? Or writeup, perhaps? I, for one, would like to see what you did.

Reactions: Woodstock67
Any pics of this decadent upgrade? Or writeup, perhaps? I, for one, would like to see what you did.

There is not much to show or write up. The window winders and electric locks are sold by "Electric Life" and come as complete kits for the TJ/LJ. You need to buy a third lock actuator for the tailgate because that is not included in the lock kit. I added Molex connectors that can be disconnected to remove the doors. I also used coiled cables at the doors (not included in the kits). Installation of the actuators and window regulators is quick and easy. The time consuming part is all of the wiring that needs to be done particularly if you add the door disconnects. I guess the worst part was figuring out the truly awful Electric Life instructions.

The lock kit comes with a remote key FOB and transceiver but I did not install those. i am happy enough just to use the key.

Window_Lock1.jpg
Window_Lock2.jpg
Window_Lock3.jpg

There is not much to show or write up. The window winders and electric locks are sold by "Electric Life" and come as complete kits for the TJ/LJ. You need to buy a third lock actuator for the tailgate because that is not included in the lock kit. I added Molex connectors that can be disconnected to remove the doors. I also used coiled cables at the doors (not included in the kits). Installation of the actuators and window regulators is quick and easy. The time consuming part is all of the wiring that needs to be done particularly if you add the door disconnects. I guess the worst part was figuring out the truly awful Electric Life instructions.

The lock kit comes with a remote key FOB and transceiver but I did not install those. i am happy enough just to use the key.

View attachment 72701View attachment 72702View attachment 72703
Thank you!

View attachment 72701View attachment 72702View attachment 72703
Nothing wrong with the cables but I'm not a fan.
1547749122726.png

I would love to have electric windows, but I haven't found a unit to unzip them yet. :D Your set up sounds great though. Wouldn't mind having electric locks. :D

Reactions: Nickgsjeep