Electric Fan Controller / Thermostat

KingCarGuyZ

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
So I know Electric fans on here have a bad rap, and for an excellent set of reasons. However, I am looking for a "controller" of sorts for my Auxiliary electric cooling fan to be clear this is not taking place of the main cooling fan, but is intended to help with low speed cooling and air-conditioning in the swampy mess that is Dallas.

I have been running the Mishimoto fan controller, but being on my second unit (first one was warrantied) and having just sent my 3rd email for yet another warranty with no response, I'm kinda done. The unit was largely adequate for the task of turning on and off the fan at a given temp. but lacked several features that can be found in the more advanced controllers. The most notable of which being speed control (commonly PWM) so that the fan is not always running at full speed and deafening anyone working around the jeep.

Below I have collected some alternatives, I would love to know if anyone has experience with these products or any recommendations on features of value/ things to look out for. With the summer heat looming around the corner, I'm hoping to have my cooling back up to snuff and maybe with a bit of an upgrade.

Derale 16759 ($63)
(basically the same as the Misimoto I currently have)

Derale 16795 ($162)
(not sure why these are so expensive, but they are small and simple)

Dakota digital controller ($148 Amazon)
(maybe to complex, little worried about the "smarts" and weather proofing, plus doesn't seem to be true speed control)

Provorm V2 controller. ($134 on summit)
(hard to find much not his unit)

Lingenfelter TBRC-001 ($155)
(also a large unknown, seems to have many inputs)

Auto cool guy 85amp or 50AMP NB ($190)
currently I am leaning towards the auto cool as it seems like the most robust option and has the best speed control, as well as allowing me to set an A/C override that is less than 100% speed and still have full speed attainable by Both the fan controller and the "panic" switch. This coupled with the ramp in and out and the after key off run time with a simple control interface is incredibly compelling but I have concerns about fan temps (showing for on at 215 and off at 200 ish), I am a little concerned about the size and weather proofing.

I welcome any input, this is just to control one 35amp fan (you can see the details linked to my build thread) The best option would be to program the fan Into the PCM, this would be awesome as it would allow me to control the fan for all sorts of situations and promoters such as ECT, A/C pressure, vehicle speed, so on and so forth, however several people more knowledgeable than I have attempted this without success.

I very much hope to get my aux fan triggered by the PCM some day. I've talked to some guy with videos on YouTube who says he got it to work with a PCM out of a '99 XJ by playing with settings in HP Tuners.

Any who, I have the old version of the Dakota Digital controller (no Bluetooth) and it has worked without a hiccup for years. Not the easiest to set or tinker with where I have it installed behind the glovebox, but once it's set, there's no real need. No PWM control though so that sucks. That being said, what aux fan are you running?

Reactions: KingCarGuyZ
For reliability I am most comfortable with a simple switch that grounds out a preset temperature- using it on the ground side of 40 amp relay and it should be pretty robust. I just have not seen a way (yet) to find an additional port to thread one of these into other than on the radiator hose Tee I have seen. Ideally I want to be in a water jacket location- Used to be able to source a Tee that would thread into the engine to run two sensors - like old Fords would used -been keeping an eye out in the u-pull it yard but no luck.

64B0360C-150A-47C4-9309-28F68B78368B.jpeg

Reactions: Waldeck
I very much hope to get my aux fan triggered by the PCM some day. I've talked to some guy with videos on YouTube who says he got it to work with a PCM out of a '99 XJ by playing with settings in HP Tuners.

Any who, I have the old version of the Dakota Digital controller (no Bluetooth) and it has worked without a hiccup for years. Not the easiest to set or tinker with where I have it installed behind the glovebox, but once it's set, there's no real need. No PWM control though so that sucks. That being said, what aux fan are you running?

Im running the Mishimoto slim straight 16", but I might be changing to the SPAL 30100401 if I can't get PWM/speed control to work on the Mishimoto. The current fan cools like a champ, just screams like a banshee when she does.

Edit: you got any pictures of where you managed to fit it behind the glovebox, kinda not much real-estate back there.

So I know Electric fans on here have a bad rap, and for an excellent set of reasons. However, I am looking for a "controller" of sorts for my Auxiliary electric cooling fan to be clear this is not taking place of the main cooling fan, but is intended to help with low speed cooling and air-conditioning in the swampy mess that is Dallas.

I have been running the Mishimoto fan controller, but being on my second unit (first one was warrantied) and having just sent my 3rd email for yet another warranty with no response, I'm kinda done. The unit was largely adequate for the task of turning on and off the fan at a given temp. but lacked several features that can be found in the more advanced controllers. The most notable of which being speed control (commonly PWM) so that the fan is not always running at full speed and deafening anyone working around the jeep.

Below I have collected some alternatives, I would love to know if anyone has experience with these products or any recommendations on features of value/ things to look out for. With the summer heat looming around the corner, I'm hoping to have my cooling back up to snuff and maybe with a bit of an upgrade.

Derale 16759 ($63)
(basically the same as the Misimoto I currently have)

Derale 16795 ($162)
(not sure why these are so expensive, but they are small and simple)

Dakota digital controller ($148 Amazon)
(maybe to complex, little worried about the "smarts" and weather proofing, plus doesn't seem to be true speed control)

Provorm V2 controller. ($134 on summit)
(hard to find much not his unit)

Lingenfelter TBRC-001 ($155)
(also a large unknown, seems to have many inputs)

Auto cool guy 85amp or 50AMP NB ($190)
currently I am leaning towards the auto cool as it seems like the most robust option and has the best speed control, as well as allowing me to set an A/C override that is less than 100% speed and still have full speed attainable by Both the fan controller and the "panic" switch. This coupled with the ramp in and out and the after key off run time with a simple control interface is incredibly compelling but I have concerns about fan temps (showing for on at 215 and off at 200 ish), I am a little concerned about the size and weather proofing.

I welcome any input, this is just to control one 35amp fan (you can see the details linked to my build thread) The best option would be to program the fan Into the PCM, this would be awesome as it would allow me to control the fan for all sorts of situations and promoters such as ECT, A/C pressure, vehicle speed, so on and so forth, however several people more knowledgeable than I have attempted this without success.

I have a SPAL PWM on my Jeep and really liked the feature of turning it on at 50% and then ramping up to 100% once it reached set full temperature.
I don't htink they make this model anymore.

Im running the Mishimoto slim straight 16", but I might be changing to the SPAL 30100401 if I can't get PWM/speed control to work on the Mishimoto. The current fan cools like a champ, just screams like a banshee when she does.

Edit: you got any pictures of where you managed to fit it behind the glovebox, kinda not much real-estate back there.

I'm in Japan right now but I'll try to get a pic when I get back. Remind me in a couple of weeks if I don't get back to you on it.

I think I had the SPAL fan you are talking about at one point. Also loud as hell but moves some air. Are you sure the Mishimoto does PWM?

I have a SPAL PWM on my Jeep and really liked the feature of turning it on at 50% and then ramping up to 100% once it reached set full temperature.
I don't htink they make this model anymore.

I had the SPAL PWM controller as well but it crapped out on me. It was very nice when it worked though, especially with that loud ass fan.
For reliability I am most comfortable with a simple switch that grounds out a preset temperature- using it on the ground side of 40 amp relay and it should be pretty robust. I just have not seen a way (yet) to find an additional port to thread one of these into other than on the radiator hose Tee I have seen. Ideally I want to be in a water jacket location- Used to be able to source a Tee that would thread into the engine to run two sensors - like old Fords would used -been keeping an eye out in the u-pull it yard but no luck.

View attachment 402526

Older 4.0 cylinder heads had a CTS at the rear driver's corner that would work perfect for this. There is still a boss that I believe can be drilled and tapped. I was planning to do just that, but it's already there in the Edelbrock head so I'm going to use it when It eventually get that head swapped on to trigger my aux fan.

View attachment 402526

I run my fan the same way but with an old skool Derale mechanical controller https://derale.com/product-footer/electric-fans/fan-controllers/adjustable-controllers/16769-detail

The only controller to consider is a constant temp controller from Delta Current Controls. Deraile copied the design and its junk. This one is pulse width modulated so no relays to burn up. Pricey but worth it if thats the route you going to take

The only controller to consider is a constant temp controller from Delta Current Controls. Deraile copied the design and its junk. This one is pulse width modulated so no relays to burn up. Pricey but worth it if thats the route you going to take

are you talking about this one- about $100 delivered. looks good for running the ford two speed that I have.

http://www.dccontrol.com/2spa.pdf

http://www.dccontrol.com/constant_temperature_controllers.htm ?

it seems solid, well constructed and at $160, its deff laying with the other contenders. It seems to have sacrificed a lot of features for reliability.

I'm in Japan right now but I'll try to get a pic when I get back. Remind me in a couple of weeks if I don't get back to you on it.

I think I had the SPAL fan you are talking about at one point. Also loud as hell but moves some air. Are you sure the Mishimoto does PWM?

- not sure, Mishimoto is really cagey on this, might have to do a voltage controlled speed (less accurate than PWM, but the Auto Cool supports this)

Last edited: