Essential tools for working on Jeep?

RiderofRohan

Supporting Member
Newb here again. Now that my first round of parts are purchased, I am starting to dive into the obsession we call Jeeps.

I am looking to the pros/experts/Jeep nerds to chime in.

What are the ESSENTIAL tools needed to work on a Jeep?

I mean those items that make you go .......

" Are you serious??? #%$@! I wish I would've known about that when I was lifting, swapping, painting, repairing, welding, etc my Jeep"

I'm just looking to build a comprehensive list so I can spend more money than I already have.

Also, affordable options would be nice. Or maybe a comment along the lines of "Harbor Freight approved" or DONT BUY THAT IMPORTED JUNK! Would be helpful.

Fun fact: I just had my first conversation with my wife about all of the boxes that have been arriving at our house. Thankfully, (due to a long history of sales experience) I was artfully able to dodge the dreaded question of "Can I see the receipts?":rolleyes:

Torx socket set, metric, and sometimes standard (sae) are all bolt heads you will encounter. I don't go to harbor freight for any wrenches or sockets. A good set of ratcheting wrenches is very handy. A big ass breaker bar and various extensions are useful from 1/4" drive up to 1/2" drive. I do like harbor freight air tools. They have a great die grinder for $9.99, air hammer, polisher, angle drill.... these have all been holding up well for me. I find the air hammer has been extremely useful to get something "seized" to "unseized" lol. They really can be an amazing tool. You will definitely want at least 1 floor jack and two jack stands. I personally have two foot railroad tie ends I use for cribbing, works good too. PB blaster and antiseize will be your friend. If you know how to weld a welder would be nice, but not necessary.

I'm sure there is much more, but these are big ticket items I can think of off the top of my head.

Good quality torque wrench . . . learn how to use it.
Every bolt/nut on your TJ will have a torque factor, and a torque pattern (head bolts, wheel nuts, etc.)
Some specify dry threads, while others specify lightly lubed, and some specify temperature.
Be careful when torquing down . . . . eg. steel bolt into aluminum.
Six point sockets only.

X2 - you will need 2, one in Ft/lbs and one in in/lbs. A cheater bar (I use a section of my jack handle) to help break larger nuts-n-bolts. I also like HF for some stuff esp for the stuff that I will only use a few times and don't want to dump a lot of coin.

Also the you will need a Torx 55 bit, that is used in a couple of locations.

Every bolt/nut on your TJ will have a torque factor, and a torque pattern (head bolts, wheel nuts, etc.)
Some specify dry threads, while others specify lightly lubed, and some specify temperature.
Be careful when torquing down . . . . eg. steel bolt into aluminum.
Six point sockets only.

What is a good quality torque wrench? I know what bad is, the $9.99 Harbor Freight specials. I also have Kobalt (Lowes) click-type, but I see all these other kinds, like a beam or a dial. Do you have a preference of what works best for you?

What kind of 1/4 & 3/8” impact drivers do you have?

I know this is not the OP, but I have a milwaukee m18 set, it is good and comes in handy for all sort of stuff.

For sockets, I visited a few pawn shops over the course of a couple months and loaded up on all sorts of sockets, mainly 3/8 and 1/2.

Reactions: RussTJ
What is a good quality torque wrench? I know what bad is, the $9.99 Harbor Freight specials. I also have Kobalt (Lowes) click-type, but I see all these other kinds, like a beam or a dial. Do you have a preference of what works best for you?
Have an old favorite . . . Snap-On QJFR 275E 5-75 ft.lbs. 3/8" drive.
Also a Proto 1/2" drive . . .
Keep another Proto in my Dodge/Cummins for wheel nuts.
Just make sure the calibration is correct. This is more apt to be correct on the mid + quality wrenches.

Reactions: billiebob
Newb here again. Now that my first round of parts are purchased, I am starting to dive into the obsession we call Jeeps.

Fun fact: I just had my first conversation with my wife about all of the boxes that have been arriving at our house. Thankfully, (due to a long history of sales experience) I was artfully able to dodge the dreaded question of "Can I see the receipts?":rolleyes:

Last edited:
What kind of 1/4 & 3/8” impact drivers do you have?
I have the Dewalt XR brushless. There are better ones out there, but they are priced accordingly. The Dewalt is perfect for my needs.

What is a good quality torque wrench?...what works best for you?
I use a CDI 2503MFRPH that I got a steal on from a pawn shop. It was NIB for $70. I prefer a click type, I just don't think the deflection beam is accurate enough and the digital type requires me to look at it as opposed to feeling or hearing a click.

Some on here think the the HF wrench is ok to use, I have no knowledge on them.

Reactions: Head Lice
Here's my essentials that I could fix just about anything that I'd be willing to on the side of the road (context is important here, I'm not going to swap an engine on the side of the road.):

Standard and Metric open/box end wrenches (box end not ratcheting because they are smaller which is needed for some spots).
Large adjustable wrench or specific crows feet, or a large Knipex wrench for jam nuts (not needed for stock Jeeps).
3/8 standard and metric 6pt sockets and torx sockets.
Hex key set (mainly for aftermarket mods).
3/8 fine tooth ratchet.
1/2 breaker bar with 3/8 adapter (or long handled 3/8 if you can find it.).
3/8 extension bar.
Pliers with cutters.
I also like having a pair of Knipex Cobras in my bag.