EV thread

So my hybrid got 21mpg on a winter drive on the interstate. This is what it got driving 25 miles home tonight half interstate in town, half stop light streets with little traffic.

1000006445.jpg

Wildly inconsistant fuel mileage. I'd rather it just average 28 and be done with it. It's impossible to estimate milage and stops for the same trips. I seriously wish the mpg wasn't a permanent moving fixture on the dash. I may tape over it.

I always assumed the point of displaying it was to “gamify” the driver to try to get better mileage; thereby encouraging fuel efficient driving. But if the factors are out of the driver’s control it kind of defeats the purpose and just pisses the driver off!

Reactions: srimes
So my hybrid got 21mpg on a winter drive on the interstate. This is what it got driving 25 miles home tonight half interstate in town, half stop light streets with little traffic.

Wildly inconsistant fuel mileage. I'd rather it just average 28 and be done with it. It's impossible to estimate milage and stops for the same trips. I seriously wish the mpg wasn't a permanent moving fixture on the dash. I may tape over it.

seems consistent to me, if you're on the highway aren't you just driving on straight gas power like any other fully ICE car? As opposed to stop & go traffic where you're in a near constant state of charging the battery? I was always under the impression hybrids did better in non-highway driving?

By the way I wouldn't trust the mpg reading on the dash anyway, aren't they just approximations? I've got one on my subie but it tends to lean higher than real calculations I've done in the past. I don't think any of these manufacturers are programming these things to come up light

seems consistent to me, if you're on the highway aren't you just driving on straight gas power like any other fully ICE car? As opposed to stop & go traffic where you're in a near constant state of charging the battery? I was always under the impression hybrids did better in non-highway driving?

By the way I wouldn't trust the mpg reading on the dash anyway, aren't they just approximations? I've got one on my subie but it tends to lean higher than real calculations I've done in the past. I don't think any of these manufacturers are programming these things to come up light

It's supposed to get 30 hwy, 33 in town. The 21mpg day we almost ran out of gas because it said we had half a tank then it dropped really fast. We should have been able to make it. By the time I got to the next station I filled it the entire tank rating.

Think of how inaccurate Jeep gauges are. Now add varying mpg to that so you can't even trust a range estimate.

The best think to do now on a road trip is to stop more and fill up when it gets below half a tank. Start looking for gas stations so we are never below 1/4 tank. And assume the gas mileage will vary by 10 mpg based on not only wind, speed, hills, but ambient temperature. Our old honda mini van got 22-23 mpg on the interstate no matter the conditions, elevation changes, wind, cold, speed,etc. and had a 20 gallon tank to compensate for range. I wish this thing had a bigger tank and less crap flashing mpg in the dash.

I've driven cars and the same routes for decades. With this thing I get no feel for driving ir learning the car. It feels more like I rented a different car for each trip and it's mostly a function of the weather instead of how I drive.

Last edited:
It's supposed to get 30 hwy, 33 in town. The 21mpg day we almost ran out of gas because it said we had half a tank then it dropped really fast. We should have been able to make it. By the time I got to the next station I filled it the entire tank rating.

Think of how inaccurate Jeep gauges are. Now add varying mpg to that so you can't even trust a range estimate.

The best think ti do now on a road trio is to stop more fill up when it gets betlow half a tank. Start looking for gas stations so we are never below 1/4 tank. And assume the gs mileage will vary by 10mpg based on not only wind, speed, hills, but ambient temperature.

I've driven cars and the same routes for decades. This thing I get no feel for driving. It feels more like I rented a different car for each trip.

Don't you have a miles to empty?

Don't you have a miles to empty?

That's pretty accurate. My wife didn't fill up when it was almost empty, so I ran into it last night cutting off the radio to ask if I wanted it to find a gas station for me.

I guess I like consistant and predictable operation; acceleration, cornering, stopping, gas mileage, etc. I could probably let it go and look for miles to empty, but they put a permanent moving gas mpg bar in the dash that is always going up/down when you drive with the tank average next to it. It's like waving a big flag on the dash. I'd turn it off if it was one of the 2000 options in the computer system. On our last 2 hour trip, I dug out the manuals, and with my phone, was able to turn something off that was bugging my wife. It took a half an hour to find it in the menus, and was so minor I can't remember what it was now.

I'm going to go back to writing my computer program. At least I control the technology there.

Last edited:
That's pretty accurate. My wife didn't fill up when it was almost empty, so I ran into it last night cutting off the radio to ask if I wanted it to find a gas station for me.

Miles to empty (MTE) is the only thing I look at. My truck the MPG numbers vary a lot between when I'm driving to work vs on the highway.

For example. If all I've done is remote start and drive my 2 miles to the office and back it will say 200 MTE.

Then if I take the truck on a 100 mile all highway trip, it's not uncommon to be back in the driveway with 200 MTE because it goes from something like 15 MPG to low to mid 20's.

Same happens if I've been towing and then don't tow. MTE towing is like 400 and MTE without a load and highway driving can be close to 700.

I'd definantly change the MPG bar to MTE on the dash if it was an option. Maybe I'll see if the next softwate upgrade has it. I paused that last night as the one before took almost an hour.

Reactions: Apparition
My last truck came from the factory with a 26 gallon tank. That doesn’t get you very far towing the jeep. So I dropped a 50 gallon tank in it. Cool to see the distance to empty get up around 800. I could easily get 500 miles towing the Jeep. Let’s see an EV do that.

My new truck has a 34 gallon tank. Better than 26, but I miss the big range and infrequently having to fill up around home. I can get a 60 gallon tank for this truck, so that will go in soon.

My last truck came from the factory with a 26 gallon tank. That doesn’t get you very far towing the jeep. So I dropped a 50 gallon tank in it. Cool to see the distance to empty get up around 800. I could easily get 500 miles towing the Jeep. Let’s see an EV do that.

My new truck has a 34 gallon tank. Better than 26, but I miss the big range and infrequently having to fill up around home. I can get a 60 gallon tank for this truck, so that will go in soon.

I figure I should get out and walk around every 300-400 miles so I haven't been too worried about the tank size.

My parents have a '14 and they had the small tank so I'm familiar.