EV thread

Towing a gas generator sucks from an efficiency standpoint. The old school solution is to tow a pusher trailer.

1664370552808.png

• Haha
Reactions: BugoutJeep
The TFL guys drove a Lightning to Prudhoe Bay and used 30 amp chargers in places to do it. They also charged it using the F150 hybrid when they had no other option and it was really slow.

Yeah it's just something that needs to be figured out, but if you towed it and you topped it off before you left and/or have a way to charge while towing, you'd have a heck of a mobile battery bank. Maybe couple it with a truck bed camper?

That's also where I was wondering if they could charge by doing a drag behind method. Maybe even if there was a smart way to plug into the towing vehicle and charge going downhill or when stopping and not when taking off or going up hill. Ultimately I think there's going to be ways in the future where maybe several can be used in unison, to not only reduce drag, and let drivers just hang out and not focus on driving and maybe even sleep, but also to get charged while on the highway.

Reactions: Apparition
Yeah it's just something that needs to be figured out, but if you towed it and you topped it off before you left and/or have a way to charge while towing, you'd have a heck of a mobile battery bank. Maybe couple it with a truck bed camper?

That's also where I was wondering if they could charge by doing a drag behind method. Maybe even if there was a smart way to plug into the towing vehicle and charge going downhill or when stopping and not when taking off or going up hill. Ultimately I think there's going to be ways in the future where maybe several can be used in unison, to not only reduce drag, and let drivers just hang out and not focus on driving and maybe even sleep.

They did need a frunk full of adapters in order to plug in since there are so many different receptacles out there.

A once in a decade event that affects a very small subset of the American population for a week is a very silly argument against EVs. How many of y’all are trying to drive in the middle of a hurricane anyways?

Given that this is a jeep board I expect most would.
I can't be the only one that just "has to go out" after a major weather event. Snow storms are the best! Florida doesn't get them so they have to settle for crossing flooded streets.

A lot of preparedness minded people will have additional fuel on hand for these events. It's not that bad to have ~12 5gal cans of diesel or gas, but it's much harder to store that electrical energy.

Of course I don't think EV owners own their vehicles based on emergencies and I suspect the vast majority own at least one other vehicle with ICE. If your primary during disaster is ICE vehicle, the EV, would be great for bug in and longer term bug in, especially with some off-grid power generation.

How many of you prepare for natural disasters by storing 20+ gallons of fuel and change it out on a regular enough basis that it doesn’t go bad? Is keeping a generator on hand to charge your car more difficult?

How many of you prepare for natural disasters by storing 20+ gallons of fuel and change it out on a regular enough basis that it doesn’t go bad? Is keeping a generator on hand to charge your car more difficult?

During the winter I keep an extra 15 gal of diesel for my rigs or did but now my truck is a gasser. And I have at least 10 gallons of gas on hand for the snowblower. Have a generator for if the power goes out and now have a RV I can stay in also. And yep I cycle my fuel out every year. Plus I put Stabil in it along with both motorcycles.

What size generator would you need to be able to charge your EV properly?

During the winter I keep an extra 15 gal of diesel for my rigs or did but now my truck is a gasser. And I have at least 10 gallons of gas on hand for the snowblower. Have a generator for if the power goes out and now have a RV I can stay in also. And yep I cycle my fuel out every year. Plus I put Stabil in it along with both motorcycles.

What size generator would you need to be able to charge your EV properly?

Probably a big one. Not an option many would choose but I’m sure it’s there for people with natural disaster paranoia. The problem is, if shits bad enough that electricity is out everywhere, I’m not sure where you’re trying to drive to anyways. Businesses will be closed. Most shelter in place so what’s the point? Again my point is that natural disaster paranoia is a silly reason to base a stance on EVs

A lot of preparedness minded people will have additional fuel on hand for these events. It's not that bad to have ~12 5gal cans of diesel or gas, but it's much harder to store that electrical energy.

In an event like a hurricane, those 5 gallon gas containers become buoys and bobbers floating down the road that now identifies as river...

Reactions: starkey480
Probably a big one. Not an option many would choose but I’m sure it’s there for people with natural disaster paranoia. The problem is, if shits bad enough that electricity is out everywhere, I’m not sure where you’re trying to drive to anyways. Businesses will be closed. Most shelter in place so what’s the point? Again my point is that natural disaster paranoia is a silly reason to base a stance on EVs

I gotta get to my bunker out in Kansas, so I need enough food, fuel, and water to get there.

• USA Proud
Reactions: starkey480

I am not suggesting that natural disasters be a reason NOT to buy a EV. I was just curious if you could use a generator to charge one and then what size.
If you're trying to leave the area after a natural disaster would be my only concern. And where I live we've had the power go out for as long as a week due to things other than a natural disaster. So if I only had a EV how would I charge it?

I am not suggesting that natural disasters be a reason NOT to buy a EV. I was just curious if you could use a generator to charge one and then what size.
If you're trying to leave the area after a natural disaster would be my only concern. And where I live we've had the power go out for as long as a week due to things other than a natural disaster. So if I only had a EV how would I charge it?

Not sure. My only natural disaster prep involved moving to Arizona 😂

• Haha
Reactions: Wildman and nk24