EV thread

The temperature he was driving in was not even winter weather. We're going into the time of year where 30-40 F is warm.

Next week the lows are single digits, highs upper 20s.

Reactions: Apparition
1670506106951.png

Reactions: Blondie70 and Zorba
Are they viable? Discuss pros and cons.

https://thebluestateconservative.co...s-will-save-the-planet-is-quickly-unraveling/

The ‘Electric Vehicles Will Save The Planet’ Farce Is Unraveling Quickly
by Steve MacDonaldAugust 21, 2022

An auto club in Germany that claims 21 million members ran some controlled charging test electric vehicles to see how efficient that process was. The results put another nail in the value coffin. Not only are they expensive to buy and own, but the average charge also wastes up to 13% of the electricity.

Put another way, the consumer is charged for all the electricity required to fully charge the battery, which is as much as 13% more than the battery can hold.

So, imagine pouring two gallons of gasoline on the ground every time you filled a 20-gallon tank. People would lose their collective minds. But that will be standard for every charge of every vehicle in the utopian electric fleet of the future.

ADAC’s Ecotest calculated the kWh needed to fully charge a range of electric vehicle batteries.

The result of the test under the same conditions for all electric car models: E-car drivers have to plan for a particularly large amount of power loss for some models – but everyone has to pay extra. According to the ADAC Ecotest, a 100 kWh battery in a Tesla Model X100D actually needs 108.3 kWh. The Kia e-Niro Spirit has 72.3 kWh for a 64 kWh battery. The Jaguar I-PACE EV400 also needs at least 10 kWh more for a 90 kWh battery.

With electricity prices scheduled to double in New Hampshire (as an example) and with the cost of EVs still out of the range of most middle and lower-income families, throwing money out the window with every charge might just as well be another tax.

Line loss or transformer loss is baked into the infrastructure. There is no way to transmit electricity without waste (primarily) in the form of heat. Anywhere from 8-15% or more of the electricity generated by power stations is lost before it gets to you. A carbon footprint problem we’re supposed to ignore.

But not in the ADAC tests. The consumer pays immediately for the loss of every kWh that exceeded the actual electricity needed to charge the battery.

Dark Future
At present, the infrastructure to charge the existing fleet is inadequate. Rolling brownouts and blackouts are predicted everywhere. There is no plan that puts enough wind or solar into operation, maybe ever, to address the growing demand without EVs. There isn’t enough land for the equipment needed to create that much electricity unless the plan is to need less.

With rates skyrocketing, charging will become unaffordable to all but the most well-off, and we’ve postulated repeatedly that this was always the goal. A point they admit, including after the release of the original Green New Deal, whose author (we can’t ever let you forget this) said, “Do you guys think of it as a climate thing?” Chakrabarti continued. “Because we really think of it as a how-do-you-change-the-entire-economy thing.”

No air travel for you and the end of private transportation.

The goal is to force your mobility profile back into the 19th century. Trains, horses, walking. The only other reasonable explanation is that they are all idiots, and while the rank-and-file prog parrots might be considered that stupid, the people at the top are not.

They’re evil.

Biggest EV issues:

1. Range and charging time

2. The environmental damage of extracting these rare earth materials for components such as the batteries pretty much offsets whatever emissions are being prevented

3. What about places where they’re getting electricity from fossil fuels? Defeats the purpose.

4. Longevity. These batteries will be exposed to large temperature swings, moisture, weather, and other natural occurrences which will damage them. Look at your phones battery as an example - look how long those things last, and look what the cold does to them.

5. You have donkeys like Newsom that are literally imposing EV mandates even though the state’s power grid is already struggling (and is responsible for a lot of those forest fires) and simply cannot handle it.

Maybe already addressed, but the point in the OP about wasted electricity during charging being like pouring 2 gallons of gas on the ground when you fill up.

Yeah, that's kind of how gas engines work too. You are effectively doing that since gas engines are nowhere near 100% efficient. In terms of taking the total amount of energy you put into the tank, or battery, and converting that into torque at the wheels the electric car is better at it.

Convenience (if you can charge exclusively at home) and energy cost is in the EV's favor. Depends on what you need from your car on a daily basis. Total cost of ownership is probably not good, and if you're concerned about pollution, yeah, that's not a solution.

I think they could be a good deal for some drivers if the cost could com down to basic econobox standards. But in the big picture I think hybrids make more sense.

Reactions: pc1p and srimes

You're Being Lied to About Electric Cars

Science has repeatedly shown EVs are better for humans, despite the meme you just retweeted.

I've heard all the supposed arguments. It seems every time anything even tangentially related to electric cars is published, certain people feel compelled to share their own research. You've probably heard it all, too: A Prius is worse for the planet than a Hummer. EVs are coal-powered cars. Electric cars produce more CO2 than internal combustion engine (ICE) vehicles. Lithium mining is uniquely bad for the environment. Cobalt mining relies largely on slave labor, if not child slave labor. Actually, that last part is sadly true. But the rest? Lies. And I'm not even going to get into the hypocrisy of posting anti-EV rhetoric from a lithium-ion-battery-powered phone or laptop.

TLDR cut to the chase...

But That's Just, Like, Your Opinion, Man

No, it's not. The Yale School of the Environment conducted a study published by Nature Communications that explains how even with indirect emissions due to battery production, EVs release fewer greenhouse gases over the course of their service lives than ICE vehicles.

https://www.motortrend.com/features/truth-about-electric-cars-ad-why-you-are-being-lied-to/

Reactions: pc1p

You're Being Lied to About Electric Cars

Science has repeatedly shown EVs are better for humans, despite the meme you just retweeted.

I've heard all the supposed arguments. It seems every time anything even tangentially related to electric cars is published, certain people feel compelled to share their own research. You've probably heard it all, too: A Prius is worse for the planet than a Hummer. EVs are coal-powered cars. Electric cars produce more CO2 than internal combustion engine (ICE) vehicles. Lithium mining is uniquely bad for the environment. Cobalt mining relies largely on slave labor, if not child slave labor. Actually, that last part is sadly true. But the rest? Lies. And I'm not even going to get into the hypocrisy of posting anti-EV rhetoric from a lithium-ion-battery-powered phone or laptop.

TLDR cut to the chase...

But That's Just, Like, Your Opinion, Man

No, it's not. The Yale School of the Environment conducted a study published by Nature Communications that explains how even with indirect emissions due to battery production, EVs release fewer greenhouse gases over the course of their service lives than ICE vehicles.

https://www.motortrend.com/features/truth-about-electric-cars-ad-why-you-are-being-lied-to/

As stated before, if they put them on the market and let people buy them, there would be few against them. But when they ban alternatives to "make them work", that's when they create enemies. EV pushers are way to much like vegans.

Nobody is against it if you just buy and drive them. But EV owners would be pissed if some politician came into power and banned their sale.

That is coming down the road when they push cars off the road in favor of mass transit.

As stated before, if they put them on the market and let people buy them, there would be few against them. But when they ban alternatives to "make them work", that's when they create enemies. EV pushers are way to much like vegans.

Nobody is against it if you just buy and drive them. But EV owners would be pissed if some politician came into power and banned their sale.

That is coming down the road when they push cars off the road in favor of mass transit.
None of that bothers me one bit. With current battery technology they just can't get the energy density to make the politicians grand plans work. And science isn't even close to making it happen in the short term. It may be decades before there is a breakthrough. Plus the electrical infrastructure isn't anywhere close to being ready and it won't be for a long time. So the scary boogeyman political mandates will be pushed out, and pushed out, and then be pushed out some more. And if some paradise like Marina Del Yuk unwisely pushes a mandate too soon there is always the option to just move. Gas will be available for many decades and a single tank will get you around 300 miles away from there.

Last edited:
Seems this fits EV and it’s Jeep too

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...sts-electric-vehicle-production.html#comments

The nightmare before Christmas: Jeep lays off 1,350 workers at Illinois Cherokee SUV plant - blames high cost of switching to electric car production and moves factory to MEXICO​

Hundreds of workers are expected to be laid off when automaker Stellantis closes an assembly plant in northern Illinois early next year, citing the challenge of rising costs of electric vehicle production.

The company, which employs about 1,350 workers at the plant in Belvidere, Illinois, said the action will result in indefinite layoffs and it may not resume operations as it considers other options.

• Sad
  • Dislike
Reactions: Wildman and Zorba
Seems this fits EV and it’s Jeep too

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...sts-electric-vehicle-production.html#comments

The nightmare before Christmas: Jeep lays off 1,350 workers at Illinois Cherokee SUV plant - blames high cost of switching to electric car production and moves factory to MEXICO​

Hundreds of workers are expected to be laid off when automaker Stellantis closes an assembly plant in northern Illinois early next year, citing the challenge of rising costs of electric vehicle production.

The company, which employs about 1,350 workers at the plant in Belvidere, Illinois, said the action will result in indefinite layoffs and it may not resume operations as it considers other options.

Sad to see but maybe not surprising. Jeep’s current owner, Stellantis isn’t an American company so I expect that decision was strictly based on economics. Re-tooling for a new model is costly (which is not EV specific) so this was probably a good opportunity for getting out of the expensive US labor market while still keeping transportation costs down by staying in North America. I think blaming it on EVs is cheap political stunt (but not a dumb one. Many will take that bait, hook, line and sinker).

As an aside, I grew up in Detroit in the 70s and 80s where the local economy very directly reflected whether or not American cars were selling. It was considered unpatriotic to drive a non-American car. Although I believe the old big 3’s failure to innovate and maintain quality is to blame for their loss of US market share, it still bugs me when I see American flags and other patriotic expressions on foreign cars (including post 1997 Jeeps). Remember, no Jeep since 1998 has been a wholly US vehicle.

https://www.newsinenglish.no/2022/12/13/electric-car-owners-costs-jump/

Norwegian politicians have offered lots of electric car incentives over the years but they’re quickly disappearing, even as Norway urgently needs to cut carbon emissions. The latest electric car shock came just last week, when the City of Oslo nearly tripled the cost of recharging at city-owned charging posts, before being forced to shift into reverse.

A sharp rise in the cost of charging electric cars at city-operated posts in Oslo has sparked protests from Norway’s national electric car organization.

So dramatic was the rate hike, from NOK 28 to NOK 49 (USD 2.80-4.90) an hour for “normal” recharging during the day and NOK 13 to NOK 39 at night, that the national el-car association Norsk elbilforening claimed it could no longer recommend that Oslo residents buy an electric car.

“In some cases, it can be twice as expensive to charge an electric car as to fill up with polluting (fossil) fuel,” Christina Bu, secretary general of the el-car organization, told newspaper Finansavisen. She went on to call the rate hike that was imposed literally overnight by the Oslo city government (ironically led by the Greens and Labour parties) as “idiotic.”

• Wow
Reactions: Wildman
She went on to call the rate hike that was imposed literally overnight by the Oslo city government (ironically led by the Greens and Labour parties) as “idiotic.”
I have always considered myself an environmentalist. However, the Greens would have us all living in caves. Where the fuck is the balance in the world anymore?

Reactions: Apparition
I have always considered myself an environmentalist. However, the Greens would have us all living in caves. Where the fuck is the balance in the world anymore?

I think the true irony of Norway

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Government_Pension_Fund_of_Norway

The Government Pension Fund Global, also known as the Oil Fund, was established in 1990 to invest the surplus revenues of the Norwegian petroleum sector. It has over US$1.19 trillion in assets,[1] and holds 1.4% of all of the world’s listed companies, making it among the world’s largest sovereign wealth funds.[2][3] In December 2021, it was worth about $250,000 per Norwegian citizen.