EV thread

Reactions: InOmaha and Woodrow

VW Beetle converted to electric in a day​

We managed to convert this classic VW Beetle to electric in a day using our bolt-in conversion kit. Motor - Hyper9 (120hp), 25kWh Tesla battery pack giving 80 to 90 mile range, 6.6kW charger, disc brakes on the front. https://www.electricclassiccars.com https://www.instagram.com/electricclassiccars https://www.facebook.com/electricclassiccars https://twitter.com/elecclassiccars

Nicely done. That conversion would be a much nicer commuter and still has the classic cool thing going on.

Last edited:
Reactions: InOmaha and Wildman
I think the true irony of Norway

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Government_Pension_Fund_of_Norway

The Government Pension Fund Global, also known as the Oil Fund, was established in 1990 to invest the surplus revenues of the Norwegian petroleum sector. It has over US$1.19 trillion in assets,[1] and holds 1.4% of all of the world’s listed companies, making it among the world’s largest sovereign wealth funds.[2][3] In December 2021, it was worth about $250,000 per Norwegian citizen.

I wouldn't say "irony"...

Actually, this was quite clever IMO. Rather than focus the extraordinary wealth potential of their oil reserves on a select few persons and companies, they kept it in the "public good".

I would be curious to see who's financially benefitting from the electric charging rate hikes though...

I wouldn't say "irony"...

Actually, this was quite clever IMO. Rather than focus the extraordinary wealth potential of their oil reserves on a select few persons and companies, they kept it in the "public good".

I would be curious to see who's financially benefitting from the electric charging rate hikes though...

The irony is that oil is still getting sold whether they use it or not. They aren’t turning off the tap.

I have several Norwegian friends and the country does do some good things with their money.

When one of them gave birth she took two years off before returning to work. I think the first year was paid at 100% salary and the second was something like 85%.

It would be interesting to know we’re the EV money is going.

They had huge incentives to go electric early on.

Nicely done. That conversion would be a much nicer commuter and still has the classic cool thing going on.

Yes! That's a car that would actually be vastly improved with an electric conversion. What is that, double the original hp? I'd bet it's pretty fun to drive.

I could see doing the same to some old British roadster. Really anything simple, lightweight, that doesn't resemble a suppository.

Yes! That's a car that would actually be vastly improved with an electric conversion. What is that, double the original hp? I'd bet it's pretty fun to drive.

I could see doing the same to some old British roadster. Really anything simple, lightweight, that doesn't resemble a suppository.

best part is it no longer sounds like ass as it goes put-putting down the road

I think they said in the video horsepower went from 40 to 120. I’m sure it gained a little weight but it’s better distributed now. They said handling was improved with the change which is believable to me. Not a lot of range (60-90 miles) but plenty for any commute I’ve ever had to do.

The irony is that oil is still getting sold whether they use it or not. They aren’t turning off the tap.

I have several Norwegian friends and the country does do some good things with their money.

When one of them gave birth she took two years off before returning to work. I think the first year was paid at 100% salary and the second was something like 85%.

Agree. The irony is certainly there. It is, however, nice to see a country’s natural resources financially benefitting the whole population as opposed to a small group.

Reactions: Wildman and pc1p

Well, I mean they still drove horse and carriages while the Model T was being built. They were also using steam locomotives as diesel versions were being built. There is always a transition period. I don’t see this as “irony” - no one would ever expect any country, no matter how progressive or green, to cut off fossil fuels until meaningful and effective alternatives are at substantial enough quantities with sustainable and supportive infrastructure in place.

I get what you’re saying, I just don’t think “irony” is the best word to describe it… 🤷🏻‍♂️

https://www.oregonlive.com/environm...ns-sales-of-new-gas-powered-cars-by-2035.html

Gas-powered cars, light-duty trucks and SUVs are on their way out in Oregon.

Policymakers for the Oregon Department of Environmental Quality on Monday approved a rule that bans the sale of new gasoline-powered passenger vehicles in Oregon by 2035.

The new rule, based on vehicle emission standards adopted by California in August, requires car manufacturers to sell a certain percentage of zero-emission vehicles – electric cars, plug-in hybrid electric vehicles and hydrogen fuel cell vehicles – as part of their total sales, starting with 35 percent in 2026 and increasing to 100 percent by 2035.

The rule allows for sales of plug-in hybrid vehicles, which run primarily on electricity but also are able to run on gas, to provide flexibility for Oregonians, especially those in rural areas with fewer charging stations.

The ban on gas cars does not affect cars already on the road and does not require Oregonians to stop buying gas-powered vehicles. Used gas-powered cars will continue to be available for sale within the state. Customers who want a new car that runs on gasoline will have to shop out of state.

But more than a dozen states also are looking to follow suit.
Oregon will be the third state to adopt the standard. Vermont and Washington just adopted a similar standard. The Clean Air Act allows Oregon and other states to either follow federal vehicle emission standards or align with California’s more stringent rules.

https://www.oregonlive.com/environm...ns-sales-of-new-gas-powered-cars-by-2035.html

Policymakers for the Oregon Department of Environmental Quality on Monday approved a rule that bans the sale of new gasoline-powered passenger vehicles in Oregon by 2035.

The new rule, based on vehicle emission standards adopted by California in August, requires car manufacturers to sell a certain percentage of zero-emission vehicles – electric cars, plug-in hybrid electric vehicles and hydrogen fuel cell vehicles – as part of their total sales, starting with 35 percent in 2026 and increasing to 100 percent by 2035.

The rule allows for sales of plug-in hybrid vehicles, which run primarily on electricity but also are able to run on gas, to provide flexibility for Oregonians, especially those in rural areas with fewer charging stations.

The ban on gas cars does not affect cars already on the road and does not require Oregonians to stop buying gas-powered vehicles. Used gas-powered cars will continue to be available for sale within the state. Customers who want a new car that runs on gasoline will have to shop out of state.

Oregon will be the third state to adopt the standard. Vermont and Washington just adopted a similar standard. The Clean Air Act allows Oregon and other states to either follow federal vehicle emission standards or align with California’s more stringent rules.

Like CoVid, the disease is spreading...

• Sad
Reactions: Apparition

One more reason for me to be in Wyoming or Tennessee by 2028.

• USA Proud
I managed to miss this thread, but skipped to the end so if this video has already been posted my apologies. This is a great YouTube channel, California Insider, & this particular episode with physicist Mark Mills is apropos.

If you're interested in the specifics of why this is a folly filled rabbit hole, watch this:

I managed to miss this thread, but skipped to the end so if this video has already been posted my apologies. This is a great YouTube channel, California Insider, & this particular episode with physicist Mark Mills is apropos.

If you're interested in the specifics of why this is a folly filled rabbit hole, watch this:

There are a couple Geraldo video's somewhere in the thread. I think that' the same guy that Geraldo was interviewing.

Found them:

Last edited: