Experience with pitman arm and track bar combinations needed

John Scoggins

TJ Enthusiast
Need some experienced help out there. On my 04 TJ it came with a RC 4" lift with a drop pitman arm. The jeep does have some bump steer and I am pretty sure that a stock pitman arm will help with this. I have attached a picture to show the track bar mount as it is not stock either. I was hoping that somebody out there already has that same type of track bar mount with the factory pitman arm and that it does not have any bump steer. If so I will get a factory pitman arm. I understand the geometry relationship just looking for some real world experience.
(Yes my daughter got a little excessive with the grease gun, but the joint has a lot of grease for sure)

drop pic 1.jpg

drop pic 2.jpg

Last edited:
You have a dropped pitman arm, which with your dropped trackbar bracket should keep things in check still. Do you know what your caster is? You may be experiencing wandering which is common with low caster.

Do you know what your caster is?

I do not as of right now, need to get it up to the dealership where my son works to get him to put in on the rack and get a print out (and/or get an inclinometer).

You have a dropped pitman arm, which with your dropped trackbar bracket should keep things in check still.
To me it looks like the pitman arm is droped more than the tack bar is "lowered" but I really do not have anything to base that on besides looking at stock pictures of TJ's.

Last edited:
Looking at this again. Your diff cover has marks on it consistent with trackbar interference. Not a good thing. If this was mine, I'd pull the trackbar drop bracket, reinstall an OE pitman arm, and get a quality adjustable trackbar (Metalcloak, JKS, or Currie). Cycle your suspension without the coils removed and bumpstop accordingly. IIRC Rough Country comes with fixed control arms. What you look for when you cycle your suspension are things banging into each other. This could be shocks bottoming out, track bar hitting the diff (like yours), or tires hitting sheet metal.

To regain caster though, you will need at least a set of adjustable upper control arms on the front. I suspect that you are not experiencing bumpsteer but rather excessive wandering due to insufficient caster.

Did not even notice the mark on the cover, I will check it out for interference. It does have adjustable arms (not sure of brand) so I can adjust the caster if needed. Looks like my daughter and I have some work to do this weekend. Thank you for the help...

Need some experienced help out there...I have attached a picture to show the track bar mount as it is not stock either...

View attachment 74120
@mrblaine has words of caution about the frame side trackbar mount.
It is pretty common to crack the track bar right through the area where you drilled that hole. With the hole there, it won't just crack, it will fail catastrophically.
His recommendation to prevent this from happening.
...you need to brace the track bar mount you drilled a hole in.
The topic was discussed in this thread. https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...-and-installed-the-3-did-my-toe-change.17109/

@mrblaine has words of caution about the frame side trackbar mount. His recommendation to prevent this from happening. The topic was discussed in this thread. https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...-and-installed-the-3-did-my-toe-change.17109/
X2, the installer did you no favors installing that track bar or its mounting bracket. Fortunately it's not a technically difficult or expensive repair. That bracket needs to be replaced with an OE style replacement but you'll need a welder to install it. I'd simultaneously replace the track bar with a better design like from Currie or JKS, together with replacing the dropped Pitman arm with an OE factory design Pitman arm.

The kit has been on this jeep for 115000 miles according to the recipt I found in the glove box however I will check the frame mount while I am there this weekend

Thnak again for the help, in the mean time has anybody else ran that set up before? My guess is no after the responses but just wondering.

Check caster and it is at 5.9 and 6.1. Pinion angle is same as drive shaft (I do not have any vibrations). Looks like I need to ditch the drop pitman arm for a stock one to cure the bump steer