Factory bumper mods

Jeepersteve71

TJ Enthusiast
Really interested to see some factory bumper mods. Front or rear. Post what you did, how you did it. Maybe even the cost? Even if you are running an aftermarket bumper post pics of what other people are doing that you like and etc. winch plates, cutting, etc.

I'll start. Looking at doing a factory chop and the Tuff Stuff winch plate. Over all cost of the plate is $120. For the value and the look I think it's right up my alley!
IMG_6029.JPG
IMG_6030.PNG
IMG_6032.JPG

Reactions: Chris and LTTJ
I modified the front bumper of my LJ by cutting 4" off each end. I wanted to retain the original lights so 4" was the max I could take off. I duplicated the original angles so I could reattach the MOPAR plastic end caps that you pictured above. I added a Warn winch plate and welded on a pair of brackets to fit a Warrior hoop to it. I couldn't reattach the original tow hooks but a pair of Reece hooks fit fine.

upload_2017-9-2_12-27-36.png

I haven't modified my rear bumper yet but I plan to make a rough version of AEV's Brute bumper. I've fabricated most of the parts that I need and just have to weld it up. It will look something like this ...

upload_2017-9-2_12-33-15.png

I modified the front bumper of my LJ by cutting 4" off each end. I wanted to retain the original lights so 4" was the max I could take off. I duplicated the original angles so I could reattach the MOPAR plastic end caps that you pictured above. I added a Warn winch plate and welded on a pair of brackets to fit a Warrior hoop to it. I couldn't reattach the original tow hooks but a pair of Reece hooks fit fine.

View attachment 21446

I haven't modified my rear bumper yet but I plan to make a rough version of AEV's Brute bumper. I've fabricated most of the parts that I need and just have to weld it up. It will look something like this ...

View attachment 21447
I like where you are going with this! Can't wait to see what the rear looks like.

That's awesome! After putting the angled cuts on the bottom did you weld it up?

Yes, I welded up the ends and wrapped it at the corners. I have better pics on my work computer. BTW, I still have this bumper if anyone wants it. I bought a stubby winch mount bumper, so it's up for grabs for the cost of shipping, which shouldn't be much since it's light.

Good thread/idea. Was thinking Rugged Ridge plate and light duty winch 5000? 9000?. Somewhere there's a thread on towing which had shackle front mounts included with the bar (Reese) that mounted where the two front bumper pads are. Could have recovery and towing utility. Anyone have experience with this or similar?

Good thread/idea. Was thinking Rugged Ridge plate and light duty winch 5000? 9000?. Somewhere there's a thread on towing which had shackle front mounts included with the bar (Reese) that mounted where the two front bumper pads are. Could have recovery and towing utility. Anyone have experience with this or similar?
I'd say 8000# winch capacity minimum if you ever find yourself near mud. I'm really happy with the smittybilt XRC 9500. 300 bucks and it's waterproof ip67 or something and can take 30min of submerged water. (I like warn but can't afford it.) I have the rugged ridge winch plate too and it's heavy but I like it. No experience with the towing but I feel like I just saw that thread the other day. If I can find it I'll post link.

Edit: this link?

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/how-to-properly-tow-your-jeep-wrangler-tj.2479/

I also like this bumper chop.
Yeah if I don't buy a different bumper, I plan to do this mod here, chop it close or flush with those front rubber bumpers.

Any ideas for the rear? Not sure what could really be done with it...

Reactions: SSTJ
I'd say 8000# winch capacity minimum if you ever find yourself near mud. I'm really happy with the smittybilt XRC 9500. 300 bucks and it's waterproof ip67 or something and can take 30min of submerged water. (I like warn but can't afford it.) I have the rugged ridge winch plate too and it's heavy but I like it. No experience with the towing but I feel like I just saw that thread the other day. If I can find it I'll post link.

Edit: this link?

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/how-to-properly-tow-your-jeep-wrangler-tj.2479/

yep. that's the one. good find. thanks. also for input on winch. That Smittybilt seem to work for lots of folks and the price is good

I cut about 4" off each side of my girlfriend Jeep and added some lights for the front on the rear bout some end caps and bolted em on

IMG_20210116_163407091.jpg

IMG_20210124_115953593_HDR.jpg