False Avertising

silvercreek

You've got to watch them closely. Advertisers even on eBay will include the OEM part number in the description but are selling aftermarket parts and accessories. If you don't read the fine print below you may get a big disappointment. It should be illegal for them to include "OEM" and the OEM manufacturers part number in the description. They take full advantage of it and it pisses me off to no end. Unfortunately they are for the most part Americans that are doing it.

I'm through complaining now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris and Kevin E
Yes, one more reason I typically avoid eBay. Most of the stuff sold on there is Chinese knockoffs. In addition to that you have to look (and read) verrrrry hard to find the good quality OE or OEM stuff.

The sellers load their ads with the OE part numbers so that people like you or me who are looking for that part number will stumble upon their listing and then say, "Wow, look how cheap it is!" and then buy it without even realizing it's not even OEM quality.

You've got to watch them closely. Advertisers even on eBay will include the OEM part number in the description but are selling aftermarket parts and accessories. If you don't read the fine print below you may get a big disappointment. It should be illegal for them to include "OEM" and the OEM manufacturers part number in the description. They take full advantage of it and it pisses me off to no end. Unfortunately they are for the most part Americans that are doing it.

I'm through complaining now.
I just went through that with a TJ windshield. I'm a fairly astute shopper when it comes to picking up on the "language" that points to it being a knock-off or OEM "equivalent".

I needed a new front glass for a TJ. I did my normal research and balanced price against other factors and settled on one that said it was OEM from PGW but not a Mopar version. I know there are several items like that so I wasn't too worried. It also wasn't the cheap version of which there were several. It was priced at the upper end of the spectrum, lots of positive feedback etc.

When it arrived it was indeed the POS version made in China and I was beyond irritated since this was the description.

Brand New Genuine OEM Windshield fits 2001-2006 Jeep Wrangler & TJ

There is no wiggle room in that description for being aftermarket made in China junk.

Reactions: Chris
I'm not all that familiar with eBay's policies, but there has to be some kind of recourse for deceptive and misleading advertising like that, no?

I'm not all that familiar with eBay's policies, but there has to be some kind of recourse for deceptive and misleading advertising like that, no?

You would think so. There's always buyer protection so you are at least always covered in situations like this.

Negative feedback for description not matching the item. They did offer to let me return it when I explained what OEM means and not what they think it means. I declined due to it being more important to me to let folks know what they are selling albeit a bit of tilting at windmills for that seller due to their overwhelming positive feedback from clueless morons.

I had already turned down 3 broken ones from the dealer and my parts guy there asked me to cancel the order due to their inability to ship and deliver one intact.

Reactions: Chris
I'd imagine shipping glass cross country is a tedious task. Shipping can't be cheap by any means.

Anyways, I'm always cautious of eBay. I've ordered so many things calming to be OE or OEM only to find out they were indeed off-brand Chinese knockoffs.

You guys must think I'm an idiot. I just saw that I misspelled "Advertising" in the title of my original post. Oh well.