Family's First LJ - 2006 Rubicon Build

The stock fog lights are 6 1\2". I still have them on my LJ.
What model is that bumper?? Am looking for something unique for mine?

It’s the Mopar Rock Crawler Bumper made by AEV for Jeep. Costs about $700 online new.

I am looking for one as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Find a set of 16" OEM Moab wheels and purchase new 315/75R16 tires (will a spacer still be needed for backspacing?)

Not sure if you found the answer to this, but yes, you will need spacers. I needed them on my 305's (rubbed at lock).

Also, congrats on the LJR, particularly in the best color!

Not sure if you found the answer to this, but yes, you will need spacers. I needed them on my 305's (rubbed at lock).

Also, congrats on the LJR, particularly in the best color!

Thanks! I'm happy with the color as well.

After more research I opted to scrap the JK wheel idea and actually came across a really nice set of 16x8 AEV Bridgers in Argent.

IMG_4402.jpg

Going this route gives me a 5x4.5 bolt pattern and a backspacing that shouldn't need spacers. I also have a set of Cooper STT Pros in 315/75R16 that will be delivered tomorrow.

cooperpros.jpg

I'm really hoping I can start the suspension work towards the end of this week to really get things moving along on the build.

Told myself that I didn't need a hard top for the LJ since I have one for the TJ and it was mostly good at just taking up space in the garage. Then today this happened......

IMG_4447.jpg

In the long run I'll be happy that I got one and will allow me to store the LJ outside in the winter without worrying about my frameless Bestop taking a beating. Now who has nice instructions on putting together a hoist?

Told myself that I didn't need a hard top for the LJ since I have one for the TJ and it was mostly good at just taking up space in the garage. Then today this happened......

View attachment 40712

In the long run I'll be happy that I got one and will allow me to store the LJ outside in the winter without worrying about my frameless Bestop taking a beating. Now who has nice instructions on putting together a hoist?
Damn you have been bit lol. Your gonna have one nice LJR. That top looks mint.

Damn you have been bit lol. Your gonna have one nice LJR. That top looks mint.

Yeah I typically get sucked in to stuff like this pretty hard. This situation is different for me as I've got my TJ that I had specific plans for (and parts purchased) so when I moved over to the LJ my OCD kicked in and the build focus continued.

The top is in fantastic shape, just a few lighter scratches in the rear corners from a CB antenna and a pulley system that I may not even bother to touch up for awhile. It came up for sale yesterday north of me and I ran up this evening and picked it up after coming to an agreement. I'm happy to have one even if it will be stored for most of its life.

I also grabbed a set of TJ Half Doors a week or two ago.

IMG_4451.jpg

They're in pretty decent shape but the passenger side door has a rolled edge on the bottom from a friend of the previous owner who dropped it. I'll end up doing some body work on that area (continuing my auto-body education) and then prep them and repaint both doors with a factory color match (they're already my LJ's color but need to be redone). I'll then throw on a set of OEM mirrors and probably have the lock cylinders rekeyed to match while I have the door apart. The interior panels are the light tan color from earlier TJs so I plan to prep and paint them with a color match for my Dark Slate Gray interior. SEM seems to make a color matched paint but has anyone else come across one in that interior color that works well on plastic/vinyl?

I honestly don't care about the hard top, but you're killing me with the half-doors score. I'm on the prowl for a pair big time. I was even tempted to discuss a trade with the guy I sold my TJ to, but I think I'd just be dumb to do that.

So I spent some time this evening getting the TJ ready to put up for sale, putting a few little things on the LJ and then worked on my Mopar front bumper so I can hopefully get it to the powder coaters tomorrow.

The bumper was in rougher shape than I thought when I got it. There was water and a good bit of rust trapped behind the front rubber bumpers and lots of areas where the powder coat had started to break off (powder coat hates sharp angles or edges and will typically separate easier from them over time). I had a local stripping place spend a few minutes on some problem areas but I still needed to hit some spots with a stripping wheel.

IMG_4474.jpg

I also needed to modify the rear mounting area so that it will work with the Currie Anti-Rock I will be installing.

IMG_4478.jpg

I contemplated having a welding shop cut out the areas with a torch but decided to go ahead and hit it with a cut off wheel and grinder. I made some rough measurements and marks after mounting the bumper on the frame but since the Anti-Rock isn't installed I couldn't check for perfect clearance. My hope is that I took off enough to not interfere with the Anti-Rock while leaving as much material as possible for structural integrity.

Tomorrow I'll drop the bumper and my Savvy control arms off to be coated. This will be round two on the control arms as the first color didn't come out right at all. Hopefully I can get them back before the weekend so we can start suspension work, fingers crossed......

Fantastic, no-expense-spared build taking place here!

Reactions: techster82
Today's delivery was a pretty good one. Mopar Rock Crawler Corner Guards by AEV.

IMG_4502.jpg

I came across a NOS (New Old Stock) set last week and jumped on them. Shipped to me in the factory box with all hardware and installation pieces. Pretty excited as they'll pair well with the Rock Crawler front bumper, AEV wheels and I've got a lead on a rear bumper as I type. Hopefully that works out so stay tuned.......

Also, anyone know if these play nice with something like the ExoGate?

Today's delivery was a pretty good one. Mopar Rock Crawler Corner Guards by AEV.

View attachment 40828

I came across a NOS (New Old Stock) set last week and jumped on them. Shipped to me in the factory box with all hardware and installation pieces. Pretty excited as they'll pair well with the Rock Crawler front bumper, AEV wheels and I've got a lead on a rear bumper as I type. Hopefully that works out so stay tuned.......

Also, anyone know if these play nice with something like the ExoGate?

I think it would be tough with the exogate as there’s a big piece of metal that goes around your passenger tail light.for the exogate

Reactions: techster82
So in today's round of "What's in the box".......

IMG_4559.jpg

It's gonna need some refurbishment but I was able to locate a matching rear Mopar bumper for my front bumpers and rear corners.

IMG_4561.jpg

It's been tweaked due to the previous owner towing a vehicle out of a trail with it so I'm hoping I can get it back in to position. Any thoughts or recommendations on that process are appreciated. I'd like to square it up as much as possible (where it isn't really noticeable unless you look hard or are OCD like me) and am fine with adding frame tie-ins and longer bolts if that would help.

IMG_4564.jpg

After I've got it straightened out I'll have it re-powder coated to match the front bumper. For anyone who has experience with these parts (or other AEV coated parts) is there a powder coat that matches best? I've been trying to research the color they use and came across it being Satin but my Mopar rear corner guards are almost semi-gloss in the sunlight.

Reactions: Starrs and tomtaylz
Where did you locate the rear? Did they have the front by any chance? I’m looking for a front one..

Where did you locate the rear? Did they have the front by any chance? I’m looking for a front one..

I came across it kind of randomly. Another jeep owner was inquiring about some parts and the bumper came up. He remembered I mentioned wanting one to match my front and sent me the info. I'll inquire as to whether a front bumper is available or not.

I came across it kind of randomly. Another jeep owner was inquiring about some parts and the bumper came up. He remembered I mentioned wanting one to match my front and sent me the info. I'll inquire as to whether a front bumper is available or not.

Cool, let me know!

Its been a couple of weeks since I've updated this build, mostly due to me being frustrated by the lack of progress I've been able to make. Between work, family and other obligations I've really not had many opportunities to focus on the LJ, even as parts continue to be delivered.

I did finally put the TJ up for sale a couple of weeks ago and it sold in less than 14 hours at my asking price. I hated to see it go but am glad to have the LJR and be able to focus on getting it to where (actually past) I had hoped to take that build.

So far in choosing parts I've had a couple of missteps due to making changes after a purchase. While it has been hard not to just go full steam ahead on getting work done I'm trying to use patience (something I lack much of the time) and minimize the amount of regrets or money that is expended.

Breaking down sections of the build below, I've made a list of what parts I've currently purchased, which are planned and which I still have questions on. I'm finding as with most things that one choice directly impacts other areas of the build and what compatible options exist. This post I will try to keep updated with a full parts list of the build to reference going forward:

Suspension, 4" Currie/Savvy based setup:
Springs - Currie 4" Front and Rear, CE-9130H
Control Arms - Savvy Aluminum Double Adjustable with Johnny Joints, CE-9100SA
Shocks - Rancho 5000x Front and Rear, RANRS55255 x2 and RANRS55256 x2
Steering: Currie Currectlync, CE-9701
Steering Stabilizer - Rubicon Express, RXT2000B
Front Track Bar - MetalCloak Durotrak Adjustable
Rear Track Bar - MetalCloak Durotrak Adjustable w/bracket
Front Sway Bar - Currie Antirock, CE-9900
Rear Sway Bar - Factory with Currie extended end links, CE-9142
Bump-Stops - MetalCloak Universal Adjustable 1-4" Front and Rear

Wheels/Tires:
Wheels - AEV Argent Bridgers, 16x8, 4.5" backspacing
Tires - Cooper STT Pro 315/75R16
Lug Nuts - McGard Black

Bumpers/Sliders/Armor:
Front Bumper - Mopar Rock Crawler
Rear Bumper - Mopar Rock Crawler
Corner Guards - Mopar Rock Crawler
Side Steps - Mopar Rock Crawler
Transfer Case Skid - UCF Extra-Clearance 1/4" Aluminum Skid
Engine/Transmission Skid - UCF 1/4" Aluminum Skid (not purchased) TBD
Gas Tank Skid - UCF 1/4" Aluminum Skid (not purchased) TBD
Steering Skid - MetalCloak Steel Skid
Tire Carrier - TBD (wanting a tub/body mounted option that is compatible with Mopar Corner Guards)

Tummy Tuck Components:
Body Lift - Savvy 1.25", SAV-BLTJ
Motor Mount Lift - Brown Dog 1" Ultra-Flex Rubber, CU2883-1
Transfer Case Linkage - Savvy 241 Cable Shifter, SAV-241S (not purchased)
Transfer Case Skid - UCF Extra-Clearance 1/4" Aluminum Skid
Rear Control Arms - Savvy Aluminum Double Adjustable
Rear Driveshaft - TBD

Axles/Gears:
Gears - Revolution 5.38 Front and Rear
Front Axles - Stock for now
Rear Axles - Stock for now
Lockers - Stock Rubicon Front and Rear
Differential Covers - MotoBilt Dana 44 Steel Covers (not purchased) TBD
Brakes - Black Magic Brake Pads Front and Rear with Centric Rotors

Audio System:
Head Unit - Pioneer MVH-1400NEX Double-Din 6.2" Apple Carplay Receiver
Front Speakers - Polk DB462 4x6" 2-Way
Rear Speakers - Polk DB522 5.25" 2-Way
Subwoofer - Kicker 43CWRT671 6.75" 300-Watt 1-Ohm DVC
Subwoofer Amp - Kicker 42PXA200.1 200-Watt RMS

Miscellaneous:
Winch - Smittybilt X2O 10k Synthetic, 98510
Winch Shackle - Smittybilt A.W.S.
Gas Cap Cover - Smittybilt Billet Style Black Cover, 75006
Headlights - Xtremevision 7" LED (Truck-Lite Clones)
Headlight Bezels - Rugged Ridge Black Bezels, 12419.23
Headlight Mounting Rings - Opar Black Rings
Antenna - AntennaMastsRus 5" Rubber
Sunshade - Alien Sunshade Black
Battery - Optima Red Top

Last edited:
Reactions: Fouledplugs