Family's First LJ - 2006 Rubicon Build

Following your build, thanks for blazing the trail for me!
Wondering what your thoughts were on final lift height / driveshaft angles.
Your UCF extra should lift your transfer case 2 1/2" over stock. Then you're adding 4" suspension lift.
How that's going to work out with the driveshaft angle?
Unless the UCF is designed as a lower profile than the stock skid so it doesn't raise the transfer case by the full amount of clearance gained?

I'm slowly gathering parts for my build. (also an LJR) I wanted to start at the transfer case.
I've got the UCF ultra high clearance skid (somewhere around 3.5" higher than stock) and their low pro mount sitting on the floor waiting.
MORE 1" MML
1 1/4" BL
Savvy cable shifter

Was also wanting the $avvy control arms (yet to order) But I think I'll go with 3" springs. (because the transfer case is way up after TT) Going to run 31's until they're wore (or I'm sick of looking at them!) and stop at 33's

Suspect we will both need DC rear driveshaft when all is done.

I've researched builds identical or close to mine that had folks being fine with the rear drive shaft (no vibrations) and others going ahead and replacing it. I'll have 4" Currie springs with a 1.25" Body Lift and 1" Motor Mount lift along with the double adjustable upper and lower control arms from Savvy. I asked UCF which skid plate they recommended for the tummy tuck with my lift and transmission and was told to go with the extra clearance model not the ultra clearance with lopro mount. Going with the ultra would have increased angles even more from what I gather and I also didn't want to deal with the possible vibrations from the transmission by using the lopro mount.

I'm hoping that with the adjustable arms, motor lift and extra clearance plate that my angles will be within range. Worst case we'll take a measurement once its all installed and order a DC driveshaft. Good luck with your build and I'll hopefully let you know soon what I find with mine.

Yesterday I was able to swing by the powder coaters and pick up the front and rear bumper. They look pretty great, not perfect, but much better than the shape they were in.

IMG_5408.jpg

The powder coat color I went with was "Black Satin Texture" from Prismatic Powders (same folks that make Cerakote). When sticking it next to my new old stock rock sliders and corner guards its close but not a perfect match. The factory powder used by AEV has more of a gloss to it and appears to be a deeper black. Since the bumpers won't be right next to the other pieces I think its close enough for government work and I'm telling my OCD to take a hike.

IMG_9024.jpg

Since I had to grind down some rust and flaking on the front bumper in quite a few areas the new powder coat shows some imperfections since there is a slight difference in thickness in some spots. You have to look for it and again this is just me nitpicking it. I test fit it on the jeep and the wife commented that she really liked it (always a positive when the wife approves).

IMG_5414.jpg

Since the rear bumper has that bend to it I ordered a set of of rear frame tie-in brackets to hopefully get it back in place. The goal is to pull the rear bumper flush to the frame without bending out my corner mounting tabs. These are the Poison Spyder option and I went with them because they were right under $50 (had no idea little brackets could get so high in price), shipped quick and are a reinforced design. I'll hit them with some self-etching primer and some black enamel paint then get them on the LJ.

IMG_5446.jpg

This is where I cut out a section of the front bumper on each side to work with my front Currie Antirock setup. I'm really hoping I took enough off to handle articulation. Worst case I'll have to grind some more and then hit the edges with a touchup paint.

IMG_5419.jpg

The other delivery that I was happy to see was this box of goodness from Revolution Gear and Axle. Front and rear 5.38 gears along with Koyo master install kits!

IMG_5436.jpg

If they're as good as @Jerry Bransford says they are then we're gonna show that 42RLE overdrive gear who's boss!

When you come across an essentially new Warn 9.5ti that’s been sitting in someone’s garage for some time, you buy it.

8817963_F_34_A0_43_D8_A1_B9_47992_BB3_EF07.jpg

This was the last piece that would complete the original Mopar Rock Crawler package I’ve pieced together. I have a brand new Smittybilt 10k X2O sitting in the garage that will now find a home on my wife’s JL. I didn’t plan to get a Warn but couldn’t pass this one up.

I’ve got a Factor 55 hawse fairlead and shackle link that were going to be used with the Smitty but am looking for a synthetic cable. What good options are out there that aren’t hundreds of dollars like the Warn Spydura cable or is the Warn the way to go?

Reactions: zebra12
So starting on my suspension work got pushed back another week (waiting on the lift we'll be using to be freed up, as well as the gentleman who's helping me to get his current project out of the way) so I've been a little frustrated with not making much progress. Since I've got some small parts to paint and exterior pieces to get ready to mount I decided I needed to straighten up the garage (Essentially I needed to create two piles of parts, one for install and one for sale). Freeing up some space would be made easier by taking my tires and rims that will be going on the LJ and having them mounted as to occupy the same space. So with some time away from work today I loaded them and the kids in the truck to drop them off at the tire shop.

cooper_tires_1.jpg

I haven't pulled out the Bridgers since I got them and forgot how much I liked them......

aev_bridgers_1.jpg

You may notice that the center cap on the wheel is pretty faded. They were all like this so I ordered a set of replacements and they've been sitting in the box for awhile. I pulled them out today and realized that the replacement caps are a different mounting style than what was on them currently. It seems that when AEV says they fit "all styles of AEV wheels" they mean all styles except the early Bridgers. Fortunately the original center caps are all in good shape and intact and the logo part is just a coated sticker. I went ahead and removed all of them so they wouldn't get messed up at the tire shop and headed out.

Not long after dropping them off I got a call that they were ready. After getting them home I remounted one of the center caps with the new center sticker to make sure the sizing was correct.

aev_bridgers_2.jpg

It fit perfect and I'm really happy with the look and presentation of the Cooper STT Pros and the Argent Bridgers. I can't wait to see them on the vehicle but didn't have time to mount them this evening (and I'm not sure they'll fit as my 4" suspension and 1.25" body lift aren't installed yet, just the older Skyjacker 2.5"). I did roll one of them up just to compare against the old wheel size and give me a visual of what they'll look like.

aev_bridgers_3.jpg

Yeah, I like'em. I'm going to do my best to go ahead and install my Savvy Body lift this week so that its done and may allow me to comfortably mount and drive these enough to get the LJ over to the shop on Monday for suspension work.

I also went ahead and changed my front grille over to black. I did this on my Khaki TJ and liked the look. Since I'll be continuing the all black accessory theme on this build the black grille will tie in with some other pieces planned up front. And since its only Plastidip if I decide I don't like it at some point I'll just peel it off.

Masking everything was a lot easier with the front bumper and sway bar already removed:
IMG_5863.jpg

I believe I shot five coats which gave me a nice even finish:
IMG_5867.jpg

I wanted to see how the bumper and winch looked against it so I set them in place for another visual:
IMG_5864.jpg

I went ahead and painted the headlight retaining rings black and also installed black headlight bezels with the new LED headlights. (Did I mention I hate chrome?)

Slowly but surely I'll be driving this thing before the Summer is over......I hope.

So starting on my suspension work got pushed back another week (waiting on the lift we'll be using to be freed up, as well as the gentleman who's helping me to get his current project out of the way) so I've been a little frustrated with not making much progress. Since I've got some small parts to paint and exterior pieces to get ready to mount I decided I needed to straighten up the garage (Essentially I needed to create two piles of parts, one for install and one for sale). Freeing up some space would be made easier by taking my tires and rims that will be going on the LJ and having them mounted as to occupy the same space. So with some time away from work today I loaded them and the kids in the truck to drop them off at the tire shop.

View attachment 45498

I haven't pulled out the Bridgers since I got them and forgot how much I liked them......

View attachment 45499

You may notice that the center cap on the wheel is pretty faded. They were all like this so I ordered a set of replacements and they've been sitting in the box for awhile. I pulled them out today and realized that the replacement caps are a different mounting style than what was on them currently. It seems that when AEV says they fit "all styles of AEV wheels" they mean all styles except the early Bridgers. Fortunately the original center caps are all in good shape and intact and the logo part is just a coated sticker. I went ahead and removed all of them so they wouldn't get messed up at the tire shop and headed out.

Not long after dropping them off I got a call that they were ready. After getting them home I remounted one of the center caps with the new center sticker to make sure the sizing was correct.

View attachment 45500

It fit perfect and I'm really happy with the look and presentation of the Cooper STT Pros and the Argent Bridgers. I can't wait to see them on the vehicle but didn't have time to mount them this evening (and I'm not sure they'll fit as my 4" suspension and 1.25" body lift aren't installed yet, just the older Skyjacker 2.5"). I did roll one of them up just to compare against the old wheel size and give me a visual of what they'll look like.

View attachment 45501

Yeah, I like'em. I'm going to do my best to go ahead and install my Savvy Body lift this week so that its done and may allow me to comfortably mount and drive these enough to get the LJ over to the shop on Monday for suspension work.

I also went ahead and changed my front grille over to black. I did this on my Khaki TJ and liked the look. Since I'll be continuing the all black accessory theme on this build the black grille will tie in with some other pieces planned up front. And since its only Plastidip if I decide I don't like it at some point I'll just peel it off.

Masking everything was a lot easier with the front bumper and sway bar already removed:
View attachment 45502

View attachment 45503

I wanted to see how the bumper and winch looked against it so I set them in place for another visual:
View attachment 45504

I went ahead and painted the headlight retaining rings black and also installed black headlight bezels with the new LED headlights. (Did I mention I hate chrome?)

Slowly but surely I'll be driving this thing before the Summer is over......I hope.
I don’t know what to say...I’m speechless. I’m subbed, and I wait with baited breath. Don’t make us wait so long for updates. Jesus that’s gonna be one of the nicest LJs I’ve seen. You and @Jeepersteve71 are some lucky mfrs hahaha. Keep up the awesome work! I wasn’t sure about the black but it works. Looks great. Those Bridgers set it off.

View attachment 45498

View attachment 45499

View attachment 45500

View attachment 45501

View attachment 45502

View attachment 45503

View attachment 45504

I think yours is a little cleaner than ours. How many miles are on it again?

We bought ours out of Virginia and most of the work I’ve been doing lately is just cleaning it up (little bit of rust on the frame, rock chips in the paint, and etc). I’m stocking up on a ton of parts right now and getting ready to install it all at once. I’ll post some updates once I start getting it all installed. I don’t know how you got your hands on those bumpers so fast! I can’t even find someone who is willing to budge on them... debated buying a regular LJ the other day with 208,000 out of Arkansas for $11,000 just for the mopar bumpers on it lol.

I think yours is a little cleaner than ours. How many miles are on it again?

We bought ours out of Virginia and most of the work I’ve been doing lately is just cleaning it up (little bit of rust on the frame, rock chips in the paint, and etc). I’m stocking up on a ton of parts right now and getting ready to install it all at once. I’ll post some updates once I start getting it all installed. I don’t know how you got your hands on those bumpers so fast! I can’t even find someone who is willing to budge on them... debated buying a regular LJ the other day with 208,000 out of Arkansas for $11,000 just for the mopar bumpers on it lol.
Man you are just like me hahaha. I keep going back and forth on wanting to build mine up more or keep looking for the the perfect LJR...I really want a stone white one. I’m torn lol. The bumpers make the LJ tho. It just fits so well haha

The bumpers make the LJ tho. It just fits so well haha

I need to remove myself from this thread lol.. I had finally come to peace to move on and not get the mopar bumpers but instead opt for the Stubby Arb one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Starrs
Man you are just like me hahaha. I keep going back and forth on wanting to build mine up more or keep looking for the the perfect LJR...I really want a stone white one. I’m torn lol. The bumpers make the LJ tho. It just fits so well haha
There is a white one for sale for $25,000 and only has 32,000 miles. I saw it on the LJ Facebook page the other day.

That’s so close to perfect it kills me lol. The damn rack tho...why?? It’s prolly drilled into the jeep and would be a PIA to fix the holes left behind.

I think it utilizes the door hinge at the front, and ties into the tail light assembly at the back. Should not have any additional holes

I think it utilizes the door hinge at the front, and ties into the tail light assembly at the back. Should not have any additional holes
I think you may be right. Spent some time looking through the pictures he has on FB. Underneath the front bumper it has a long attachment that looks like it is made for towing or something. Not sure how that is attached or not. Yea that rack/cage would def come off before I bought that.

I think you may be right. Spent some time looking through the pictures he has on FB. Underneath the front bumper it has a long attachment that looks like it is made for towing or something. Not sure how that is attached or not. Yea that rack/cage would def come off before I bought that.
I prefer the Gobi racks but if the Jeep already has one on it then I would mind having it for a roof top tent, kayaks, or an awning for tailgating lol.

So the LJ has been taken over to the garage with the lift we'll be using. I'm trying to find some time in the next few days to hopefully get the suspension and steering parts installed. With it and a lot of parts out of my garage I decided to pull out the half doors I picked up awhile back and start rehabbing them.

I didn't really "need" half doors but came across this set pretty cheap (I think I paid $250) and they were the matching paint color for my LJ (Flame Red). They certainly weren't perfect though (hence the price) as the passenger side door had been dropped and the metal lip or edge of the door was rolled under in two spots (more severe in the front and lighter in the rear). The interior panels are also tan which would clash pretty good with my Dark Slate interior. SEM seems to make a color match paint for my interior so I ordered some to test on the panels. Worst case if I don't like them I'll just repaint in black.

Geez this seems like a lot of work and trouble for someone who likes to run without doors right?

So here is a pic I posted awhile back with the doors as I got them, showing the damage to the lower corners of the passenger door.
IMG_4451.jpg

I got a cheap dent removal tool via Amazon awhile back, and while it probably works well for small dents in the body it did absolutely nothing for a hard rolled edge. Lacking further tools or experience I opted to grab the rolled edge and pull it back in to place slowly via a set of pliers.

This is after a little metal flexing.
IMG_6139.jpg

The factory paint was starting to separate from the metal at the dented area so I wanted to sand and remove any loose paint. Once that was done I could better see the area of the dent and see what time of bondo work I'd need.
IMG_6148.jpg
IMG_6149.jpg

It didn't take much body filler at all to get the edge where it needed to be in both spots. Using a sanding block I used a couple of different grits to knock off the unneeded filler and bring me level with the rest of the door. There is a small area on the front edge where the round contour isn't perfect but I'd probably create more work if I keep messing with it and it would be hidden when the door is installed. The wife assures me that no one would notice it but me and my OCD, so I'm trying to let it slide. I hit the areas with a filler primer to try to take care of a few small pinholes in the filler finish.
IMG_6155.jpg

After this sets I'll lightly sand it and if the pinholes aren't gone I'll do a light coat of glazing putty and then resend. Once that is complete I'll scuff up the paint and lay down the new color coat followed by clear. Stay tuned!