Fan Clutch Bolt Issue Solved: Beat The Living H*#! Out Of It

Barely Krawlified

Supporting Member
So today I began the cooling system overhaul process on my TJ and have been faithfully following the thread in the resources section devoted to this process. I have a bunch of new Mopar parts ready to be installed and have done my honework on this for the most part.

Got the system completely flushed (starting last weekend with Thermocure) including the heater hoses and the engine block. Next, pulled the radiator and fan shroud out without any problem. Now I’m on to the fan clutch and I cannot for the life of me get the bolt to budge.

I have a 36mm wrench on there and am holding the pulley while I smack the wrench with a hammer in the opposite direction. Nada.

What tool(s) do I need to break this bitch loose???

0B8ED397-6649-4C5E-B99B-4218F372471F.jpeg

91F758E6-8512-4BE5-969E-29F88EF92773.jpeg

It turns out I dont have an air compressor nor do I have an air hammer necessary to run the dedicated tool for this job.

As a result, I’m now shopping for these items on Amazon and am not sure what I would need exactly. The compressors and hammers all have varying capacites and features and of course, varying prices too.

I’m mainly looking to get this job done without breaking the bank but I also understand that investing in good quality tools pays for itself down the road.

Any suggestions are appreciated

Reactions: sideproject
If you don't have all the stuff for the air hammer you can do it with a big wrench and a hammer. I have done it that way several times. It helps to have the belt super tight. Jam a rag between the belt and a pulley and turn the engine to pull it in. Then line the wrench up sticking strait up. Get up on the engine. One foot on the valve cover and the other on the radiator support. Then smash the wrench with a hammer. They are right hand thread.

Looks like I’m headed to Autozone in the morning to see if they have the tool. We’ll see how it goes…

The tool I used was one long wrench like in your picture and an equally long bar that held the pulley. Similar to your socket wrench on the pulley nut but much longer handle for increased leverage. I aligned the two tools so I could squeeze the handles towards each other and the nut broke loose.

Reactions: Barely Krawlified
I bought this air hammer to help me get the rear shock bolts (broken) off: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VZAENC/?tag=wranglerorg-20
I then used the same tool to get the blade attachment bolt off the lawn tractor. I think $60 is OK for a tool like this. It seems to be built pretty well.
I use a 30 year old Craftsman air compressor that refuses to die. The piston broke about 10 years ago and I replaced it for about $10. Huge tank and runs all day with no problems.
Good luck!

I bought this air hammer to help me get the rear shock bolts (broken) off: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VZAENC/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Okay, I’ve got this in the Amazon cart. Any ideas on air compressor capacity/attachments I’ll need.

This one here (see attached pic) fits the budget but honestly, I’m not real sure this would have everything I would need besides the air hammer itself and the specific fan clutch removal tool to get this job done.

E59C32E5-7D55-4162-AA20-94B0FF98E56A.jpeg

According to Ingersol-Rand, the 114GQC requires 4 cfm (cubic feet per minute) of air for proper operation.
The Craftsman compressor in your post develops 2.6 cfm, not enough. Ingersol also recommends that you use an air compressor that delivers at least 1.5 times the tool requirement, so you are looking at a 6 cfm compressor.
Now, unless you can find a used one somewhere, you are talking serious money; way more that should be spent on a one-time use. See if there is a tool rental place near you that rents compressors or find a friend that has one you can use. Or, pony up in excess of $500 and buy one that will do anything you want, forever.
When I bought mine, it was about $300, and was the most expensive tool I had bought up to that time. I use to spray paint, run air hammer and grinders, 3/8 and 1/2" air wrenches. With a lightweight, coiled hose, it isn't much different from today's modern battery powered tools, except it doesn't need recharging and doesn't wear out.

I just looked on craigslist, in SA, and found a page full of used air compressors, including one that makes 4.3 cfm for $150. That might be a way to go.

Good luck!

With that long wrench, you should have enough leverage. I used a 15 in adjustable wrench and a large strap wrench to hold the pulley. I'm going to take a guess that the ratchet and small bolt are absorbing the impact.